Tagging My Goats

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thankful_k

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Put ear tags on the goats today. Especially tough with the kids (4 weeks), not only 'cause they're squirmy but I hate to hurt them and fear I'll lose their trust. Basically I do all my animals the same:

If anyone cares, this is how I decided to do it:
  • Females get tags on the right, males on the left. (same for chicken leg rings)
  • Dab of blu-kote on the inside an outside of the ear at the target spot. (In retrospect I should have swabbed the tag spike as well)
  • Tag goes on the rear part of the ear, about a third of the way from the root (at the ear canal) to the tip
  • There are two or three lines running down the length of the ear where there are blood vessels. In adults with very wide ears aim just outside these lines. Otherwise go between the rear two . Definitely not on them.
  • Straddle the animal from the rear, hold the horn with left hand. The sharp spike part of the tag goes into the outer part of the ear, toward the head. Wait for the animal to calm slightly then quickly and firmly seat the tag. Immediately release the tool and let go of the animal, otherwise it can tear the ear.
  • Monitor the wound daily for pus/infection.
For stronger bucks ... wait and get help ... not worth the risk trying to do it solo.

I may start tattooing ears also at some point, but I'm not a big enough operation for that yet :)

I thought the thread was about, "Goat Tags". Alaska F&G gives free "Goat Tags". I generally have 16 to 20 Mountain Goats on the hill back of my cabin. They are a stunningly beautiful and Regal animal. And taste wonderful.

Last edited:
Put ear tags on the goats today. Especially tough with the kids (4 weeks), not only 'cause they're squirmy but I hate to hurt them and fear I'll lose their trust. Basically I do all my animals the same:

• Females get tags on the right, males on the left. (same for chicken leg rings)
  • Dab of blu-kote on the inside an outside of the ear at the target spot. (In retrospect I should have swabbed the tag spike as well)
  • Tag goes on the rear part of the ear, about a third of the way from the root (at the ear canal) to the tip
  • There are two or three lines running down the length of the ear where there are blood vessels. In adults with very wide ears aim just outside these lines. Otherwise go between the rear two . Definitely not on them.
  • Straddle the animal from the rear, hold the horn with left hand. The sharp spike part of the tag goes into the outer part of the ear, toward the head. Wait for the animal to calm slightly then quickly and firmly seat the tag. Immediately release the tool and let go of the animal, otherwise it can tear the ear.
For stronger bucks ... wait and get help ... not worth the risk trying to do it solo.

I may start tattooing ears also at some point, but I'm not a big enough operation for that yet :)
When we had goats we used a head gate if we had to tag anything bigger than a young kid. Kept both hands free and I didn't get knocked over.

I thought the thread was about, "Goat Tags". Alaska F&G gives free "Goat Tags". I generally have 16 to 20 Mountain Goats on the hill back of my cabin. They are a stunningly beautiful and Regal animal. And taste wonderful.
Wrong kind of tags:LOL:

Right after you zap them, pet them and give them marshmallows. goats love them!

Yes, we care, great post!!

I raised hair goats, Angoras! All Angoras had ear numbers. Their ears were notched ( kinda like a ferrel cat's ear.) Different notches on each ear were different denominations. I notched their ears when they were little kids.

I don't mind tagging them as much as I mind banding the boys....
Look at it as getting an earring.
We've had one little buck that ripped his ear tag out so far, the tagger got stuck or something and I didn't let go fast enough. We both felt really bad, but he recovered pretty fast with sort of a shredded ear.

With sheep, the scrapie tags are mandatory. I don't put them on until they are destined for auction. With my bunch, they are always losing ear tags from sticking their heads in and out of feeders and fences. It's been a problem with identification and the non-producers are always trying to steal the identity of the producers.

This spring, I bought a package of various colored zip ties. I put them in existing ear holes and some on tails and recorded the description during spring maintenance rituals. So far seems to be working out. I'll know better during lambing this fall.

You calling me a goat, I love marshmallows too, but I would look silly with a ear tag.
That reminds me, time to make another no-bake pumpkin pie! the last one didn't survive 2 days!

Latest posts

Back