Tajikistan: Poverty reduction through climate resilience

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkhound

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
daily survival things to see here..plus long term survival for both your life as well as next generations. the couple has a 1 hectare fence orchard.thats 2.4acres. look at the clippings/pruning from orchard giving them fuel needs and much more. they said they get 5 crops a year. you need to watch entire vid to see it all.we in u.s. are only 330mil compared to rest of globe population of 7.7bilion others who live very different lives. in the remote and rouh countries in 'stans' they all struggle.i seen a couple in Uzbekistan growing items and once someone said why dont they got to trash piles and recycle..theres no trash to recycle at that particular place as theres no industry and no waste and a low population of only a couple hundred people.everyone doesnt have a walmart or general store close by.these place i say give us a glimpse into what a true agrarian society looked like for the 1000's o years before the industrial revelation started approx 125 years ago. or what ever number you want to apply when it started.our modern society is based on consume,consume consume....blahhhhhh....humans will be back to this agrarian life style one day voluntary or forced when consuming no longer is available at levels most in west se as 'normal'. building a homestead for next generation no matter your country or location is a must...lant trees now...bible even talks about planting your fields before building your home.

Last edited:
these folks need to get some mortar to build those high mtn shelters with so they dont spend time and energy each year rebuilding them. also making butter by moving your hand around is really inefficient a mechanical advantage would make this easier and faster and allow the other women to go and do other things that need doing...be a old wooden type churn or better yet one couple to a stationary bicycle with flappers. a wide range of options..its easy for more to point out stuff its another to implement them in field when you struggle for daily needs in your life.

these folks need to get some mortar to build those high mtn shelters with so they dont spend time and energy each year rebuilding them. also making butter by moving your hand around is really inefficient a mechanical advantage would make this easier and faster and allow the other women to go and do other things that need doing...be a old wooden type churn or better yet one couple to a stationary bicycle with flappers. a wide range of options..its easy for more to point out stuff its another to implement them in field when you struggle for daily needs in your life.

Yes, there has to be an easier way to make butter.
The other thing about butter making: the heat of their hands is not helping. I've made butter with children: cream in a jar, children sit in a circle, each child gets to shake the jar until we counted to 20 (counting practice for young children), and then pass the jar. By the time the jar has gone around to 25 to 30 children, you have butter, or at least butter ready to be finished by removing the whey.

What a life. I like how the men seem to stay together in the city and honor their families. I might look like Bibi if I lived like that too.
I wondered why there was no mention of spinning wool and making things to sell from the wool...that they aren't shearing or clipping. Goats are usually hairy not wooly, but they looked wooly.

daily survival things to see here..plus long term survival for both your life as well as next generations. the couple has a 1 hectare fence orchard.thats 2.4acres. look at the clippings/pruning from orchard giving them fuel needs and much more. they said they get 5 crops a year. you need to watch entire vid to see it all.we in u.s. are only 330mil compared to rest of globe population of 7.7bilion others who live very different lives. in the remote and rouh countries in 'stans' they all struggle.i seen a couple in Uzbekistan growing items and once someone said why dont they got to trash piles and recycle..theres no trash to recycle at that particular place as theres no industry and no waste and a low population of only a couple hundred people.everyone doesnt have a walmart or general store close by.these place i say give us a glimpse into what a true agrarian society looked like for the 1000's o years before the industrial revelation started approx 125 years ago. or what ever number you want to apply when it started.our modern society is based on consume,consume consume....blahhhhhh....humans will be back to this agrarian life style one day voluntary or forced when consuming no longer is available at levels most in west se as 'normal'. building a homestead for next generation no matter your country or location is a must...lant trees now...bible even talks about planting your fields before building your home.

Good to see they are being more responsible for themselves.Interesting how much one can gain from pain. They overcame. But for how long if they keep raising meat and dairy. The area is devastated.

slowly changing...but changing with gain knowledge and also reverting back some older ways of doing things..i seen one instance where bee keeping is coming back and a university showed where they had bees there pastures improved.

here a forestry rule of thumb is a healthy forest can produce a cord of fire wood per acre per year.the orchard with its trimming and pruning is yielding a lot of wood from what we see in video. basically the orchard is being coppiced for wood but its main goal is fruit...and pasture. just think of having that wood close at hand each year and labor saved in going far off to harvest and haul back.one place i seen in the "stans" they harvest dung and dry it in brick looking form to burn for heat and cooking.back in the day in midwest treeless areas pioneers burned bundles of twisted grass for heating needs.

coppiced orchard,fruit production,grazing under the trees...lots going on right there and close to home.

notice they were drying apricots...as of now i have never seen apricots in a store origin be anything other than california or turkey..most are turkey.

Last edited:
slowly changing...but changing with gain knowledge and also reverting back some older ways of doing things..i seen one instance where bee keeping is coming back and a university showed where they had bees there pastures improved.

here a forestry rule of thumb is a healthy forest can produce a cord of fire wood per acre per year.the orchard with its trimming and pruning is yielding a lot of food from what we see in video. basically the orchard is being coppiced for wood but its main goal is fruit...and pasture. just think of having that wood close at hand each year and labor saved in going far off to harvest and haul back.one place i seen in the "stans" they harvest dung and dry it in brick looking form to burn for heat and cooking.back in the day in midwest treeless areas pioneers burned bundles of twisted grass for heating needs.

coppiced orchard,fruit production,grazing under the trees...lots going on right there and close to home.

notice they were drying apricots...as of now i have never seen apricots in a store origin be anything other than california or turkey..most are turkey.

Elk, those people don't use artificial fertilizers like they said in the video. Most American farmers and ranchers do use it and our bees are suffering from all the chemicals used.
In Spring when I was young you had be be careful not to step on bubble bees and honey bees when playing outside.Now we don't see many bees of any kind.

Last edited:
Elk, those people don't use artificial fertilizers like they said in the video. Most American farmers and ranchers do use it and our bees are suffering from all the chemicals used.
In Spring when I was young you had be be careful not to step on bubble bees and honey bees hopefully thats just around here and they will come back.when playing outside now seldom se bees and last year was the worst. I use to try to sae bees and butterflys in our greenhouse. Not this past year. Hopefullt it just local and they return this Spring.

what i am talking about is the actual bee keeping. long ago these people...a broad brush in the stans i am painting with...were bee keepers...they abandoned nee keeping...remember they were under ussr rule so that might have had or not had anything to do with it. but anyway be people pursuid an easier life in big city or just stopped since sugar was easier i dont know answer..but bee keeping stopped and now its starting back up.university there records pastures improve were bees are kept because of pollination..probably has to do with producing more viable seeds.

I hope we cn get back to being more natural but the money made from insecticides, pesticids and fertilizers will make it hard.
Family farms will soon be a neccessity.

what i am talking about is the actual bee keeping. long ago these people...a broad brush in the stans i am painting with...were bee keepers...they abandoned nee keeping...remember they were under ussr rule so that might have had or not had anything to do with it. but anyway be people pursuid an easier life in big city or just stopped since sugar was easier i dont know answer..but bee keeping stopped and now its starting back up.university there records pastures improve were bees are kept because of pollination..probably has to do with producing more viable seeds.

We had several beekeepers here now only a few. Could be they got old and retired.
Either way enjoyed the video.

when i was a kid while other kids were reading whatever i was reading adventures of long lost people and outdoors people and dreaming. a few were talking going to alaska to hunt dall sheep and or bighorn...i was thinking of going to roughest most remote rugged terrain of stans and hunting ibex....lol...knowing it would not happen but still....i made it to alaska and more but i still wanted to hit russia as its alaska x4 or x5....lol...me and my grandfathers 30-06 ! he never got to go places he dreamed about but i made up for it as best i could...i roamed the wilds for a very long time.

also reading bible i seen ibex if i recall correctly...or it was in original text.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibex

330px-Capra_ibex_ibex.jpg

We had several beekeepers here now only a few. Could be they got old and retired.
Either way enjoyed the video.

yes they talked about elders growing old and results of the ussr collective farm jobs and such.

everybody hates google maps. I got on it to look up the one area in the one video and there were a lot of photos of the countryside and city or towns. It is so beautiful there.
A friend back east foraged for morel mushrooms in the old abandoned apple orchards. I wonder if that would be possible there in Tajikistan. Someone had posted, was it you elkhound? about a guy and his little family in Russia who foraged a lot of their food that they would store up for every winter. They foraged a lot of mushrooms.

everybody hates google maps. I got on it to look up the one area in the one video and there were a lot of photos of the countryside and city or towns. It is so beautiful there.
A friend back east foraged for morel mushrooms in the old abandoned apple orchards. I wonder if that would be possible there in Tajikistan. Someone had posted, was it you elkhound? about a guy and his little family in Russia who foraged a lot of their food that they would store up for every winter. They foraged a lot of mushrooms.

possibly this one.....

when i was a kid while other kids were reading whatever i was reading adventures of long lost people and outdoors people and dreaming. a few were talking going to alaska to hunt dall sheep and or bighorn...i was thinking of going to roughest most remote rugged terrain of stans and hunting ibex....lol...knowing it would not happen but still....i made it to alaska and more but i still wanted to hit russia as its alaska x4 or x5....lol...me and my grandfathers 30-06 ! he never got to go places he dreamed about but i made up for it as best i could...i roamed the wilds for a very long time.

also reading bible i seen ibex if i recall correctly...or it was in original text.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibex

330px-Capra_ibex_ibex.jpg

Elk, sometimes fate gets in the way of our dreams.Guess its just meant to be but choices also have something to do with it too.

Latest posts

Back