Talk College Football

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight, I’m watching Georgia getting their butts handed to them on a platter. I didn’t think Texas belonged in the same stadium with them. The SEC Championship must have taken everything out of the Georgia boys, the only explanation. I know they are far better than TX.

Watched some good ball today. Kentucky/Penn state was a great game. LSU showed that UCF doesn’t belong in the FBS. The Mizzou/OK ST game was a heart breaker… There was another early game that was a heart breaker… MS ST/Iowa…

I hate it when they schedule 3 or 4 big time games in the same time slot… Spread them out over a few days for Chriss Sake!

Judging for the two games this past weekend… Clemson played 4 quarters of excellent football, solid ball start to finish. The Tide played 2 quarters of excellent football, a quarter and a half of crap and sneaked by. If Oklahoma had a defense, they’d have whipped us.

If the Tide plays like that again… Clemson will beat us. Saban better have a plan to get our players heads out of their back sides. :(

Sadly, as a dawg fan, I have to not only agree with you but take it a step further. GA played like a spoiled brat who thought the Sugar Bowl was beneath them and who just didnt care. Very disappointing. They robbed the younger players of a chance to shine in the Sugar Bowl and embarrassed a good coach that put in a lot of effort. I hope the leaders on that team are ashamed of themselves and that next years starting line reflects yesterday's game. They should have wiped the floor with TX.

I have to agree with Louis. Ga didn't want to play in that game. Ended up much closer than it really was.

I watched more football yesterday than most all season combined. Ky and LSU messed around and about lost. Glad they both held on. MS St was close but couldn't get over the hump. Didn't even know Mizzou was on.

@timmie A sad night but I saw this coming last week. They had a defense that could shut down most of what we do. We were left trying to do desperate silly crap, it was evident in the 2nd quarter.

Our D just wasn't good enough to stop them, our weak point all year. Last week OK scored on 5 of the last 6 times they had the ball.

We got out buttz whipped fair and square... :(

But hey, 5 National Championships out of the last 10 years ain't bad. ;)

I'm trying to watch 4 college games tonight! Football season is finally here Yea! Clemson embarrassed GA tech.. Texas AM is doing the same to Texas state...

The UCLA/Cincinnati game was pretty good. Florida A&M played UCF earlier... missed that game.

BYU and Utah are on now...

The other night... first game of the FBS season was florida and florida st... a very good game... The gators pulled it out in the end!

I'm trying to watch 4 college games tonight! Football season is finally here Yea! Clemson embarrassed GA tech.. Texas AM is doing the same to Texas state...

The UCLA/Cincinnati game was pretty good. Florida A&M played UCF earlier... missed that game.

BYU and Utah are on now...

The other night... first game of the FBS season was florida and florida st... a very good game... The gators pulled it out in the end!
You guys got some catching up to do:D:
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/college-football-smack-talk.4925/page-15

Lots of games on tonight! Currently…

Wisconsin – South Florida
Utah ST – Wake Forest
Army – Rice
Michigan ST – Tulsa

Late games
Purdue – Nevada
Colorado – Colorado ST
Oklahoma ST – Oregon ST

I hesitant to get to excitied about football season this year. The last decade has been the worst in UT history. On the bright side, just this week the NCAA finally approved the transfer of a D tackle that has been enrolled in school since Jan. We needed tackles badly. Also O lineman, Trey Smith has been cleared to play at least some this year. He has been sidelined since early last season due to blood clots in his lungs. He also missed a game or 2 at the end of his freshman year with the same problem. He has been undergoing treatment since October of last year. Hopefully he has gotten past the clots for his future health. When healthy I'd put him up against any collage linemen in the country.
Down side we have lost 2 defensive players for the year, another had minor knee surgery 2 weeks ago. But likely to miss 3-4 games. We shall see, but I predict 8-4 at best, but likely 7-5. Still better than the last few years.

I don't listen/watch Sports radio/tv so I haven't heard about the other SEC schools. Though I despised Phil Fulmer UT hasn't done much since he left. I used to look forward to the first week of November for the TN/Bama game.

On local news I get an ear full about Bama and Auburn. A couple weeks ago I drove by the Bama practice field during practice. It's closed to the public of course but I rolled my windows down and could hear the pad popping and whistles blowing... Can't wait!

Sometimes I listen to a sports channel on the radio during my drive from work. Thats the most I do to keep up.
Why the dislike for Fulmer? He was the best coach we've had since General Neyland. The 3 that were hired after him were nothing but jokes. I'm hoping Jeremy Pruitt turns out to fit his pedigree.

Fulmer was the SEC "rat". Seems every time I turned around he was filing another NCAA complaint about a SEC school. Most came to nothing...

As far as I know he never filed a complaint about another school he played outside the conference. Only against SEC teams, his competitors... That's just sour grapes in my book!

What makes this even worse... his assistants and boosters were doing the same crap every other school was doing...

Weasel material... Imho... He was just angry other schools were better at it... ;)

You missed my point… I don’t care who got caught and who didn’t. If someone gets caught let the chips fall where they may, even Bama. At the end of the day there is always some stupid booster buying a kid a toaster oven for his dorm room or slipping him some gas money to attend a funeral. We all know this happens nationwide. If someone gets caught… so be it. We all know such complaints are supposed to secret but they always get out! Usually at the hands of Paul Slimball to promote his second-rate radio show.

Now, if Fulmer wanted to be the NCAA policeman… good for him! Go for it! But that’s not what he did. He filed complaints against his SEC competitors only which directly affected his recruiting.

Even if his claim went nowhere that schools recruiting year was shot. All it takes is the rumors to start flying. This also adversely affected every kid already on that team… And every year until they graduate…

Football is to be settled on the field… Not by harming innocent kids who did nothing wrong. Sports and school are tough enough but now they get interrogated by the NCAA on top of it just because Fulmer had a bug up his butt!

“Hey John, you have to meet with the NCAA investigator this afternoon at 3. Don’t forget, you have a chemistry test tomorrow morning!” How many kids did Fulmer cause to go through crap like this? 100’s… 1000’s?

Fulmer’s actions harmed innocent kids, to benefit his team… unforgivable.

The most slimy and classless individual to ever coach in the SEC was Vince Dooley… I have Fulmer a close second… Imho

I also have a big problem with the way the NCAA hands out punishments… At the end of the day… they also harm innocent kids but that’s a subject for a different day. :)

Saw this today. Felt it fit this thread.

2019-08-31_0954.png

You missed my point… I don’t care who got caught and who didn’t. If someone gets caught let the chips fall where they may, even Bama. At the end of the day there is always some stupid booster buying a kid a toaster oven for his dorm room or slipping him some gas money to attend a funeral. We all know this happens nationwide. If someone gets caught… so be it. We all know such complaints are supposed to secret but they always get out! Usually at the hands of Paul Slimball to promote his second-rate radio show.

Now, if Fulmer wanted to be the NCAA policeman… good for him! Go for it! But that’s not what he did. He filed complaints against his SEC competitors only which directly affected his recruiting.

Even if his claim went nowhere that schools recruiting year was shot. All it takes is the rumors to start flying. This also adversely affected every kid already on that team… And every year until they graduate…

Football is to be settled on the field… Not by harming innocent kids who did nothing wrong. Sports and school are tough enough but now they get interrogated by the NCAA on top of it just because Fulmer had a bug up his butt!

“Hey John, you have to meet with the NCAA investigator this afternoon at 3. Don’t forget, you have a chemistry test tomorrow morning!” How many kids did Fulmer cause to go through crap like this? 100’s… 1000’s?

Fulmer’s actions harmed innocent kids, to benefit his team… unforgivable.

The most slimy and classless individual to ever coach in the SEC was Vince Dooley… I have Fulmer a close second… Imho

I also have a big problem with the way the NCAA hands out punishments… At the end of the day… they also harm innocent kids but that’s a subject for a different day. :)

Well Peanut, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree over this one. I think too much of a friend like you to argue over football.

Yep... I started to pass over you original question, should have...

I just like to watch clean football no matter who is playing... no point in getting off in the weeds.

I do hope UT gets a good coach soon and gets back to playing real SEC football. Somebody has to keep Georgia honest in the SEC East! ;)

Around the SEC

Bama did their regular sputter and studder through the 1st half then let the dogs loose in the second.

I wasn’t surprised by Memphis beating Ole Miss. Memphis has had a good team the last few years.

GA had to go and embarrass Vandy, shame… there is a time to take the foot off the gas. LSU… walking away, no surprise there.

The UT game… shocker, didn’t expect that at all… Same with the Missouri game… Did half the Mizzou team get lost in Nebraska on the bus ride to Wyoming?

The Razorbacks, MS ST, TX A&M and Kentucky took care of business… but SC dropped the ball.

It looks like Auburn is going to sneak back in their game! Behind 21/20 with 8min to go, plenty of time left…

Did anyone catch the Wake Forest/Utah ST game on Friday? Now that wuz a football game… ;)

Last edited:
Auburn pulled it out... a TD with 9 seconds to go... 27-21. Oregon had them whipped, up by 15 late in the 3rd Q. Auburn just wanted it more.

3rd Quarter of the Oklahoma game just ended... Jalen Hurts looks fantastic. He's run for 3 touchdowns and thrown for 3. He looks better than he ever did at Bama. Good for him! I felt bad for what happened to him here.

If he keeps this up all season... Do I hear Heisman?

Around the sec week 2

Auburn, Ole MS, Florida, Kentucky, Georgia, Mizzou, South Carolina, MS ST and Bama had a walk in the park although there were exciting moments in the Auburn and Ole MS games.

LSU beat the best team Texas has fielded in a decade, an extremely good team. LSU played smash mouth SEC football. They looked like a monster just waking up and stretching its muscles a bit. Not awake yet but getting there.

Vandy got beat, again and again and again. They have always been my underdog team. I like to see them win every once in a while.

Arkansas lost to Ole MS as expected.

Texas A&M is a very good team but they got beat by a great team… Clemson.

UT got beat but showed remarkable improvement over last week. Athletically they were superior to BYU and showed it several times. They even played as a team with confidence at times. They had this one in the bag… I have no idea how they let it slip away…

LSU, A&M and Bama are still the class of the sec west… LSU might turn into the monster of the west if they stay healthy.

Sec East… Georgia and Florida still at the top of the heap.

I'm about ready to forget football all together. Gave up the last bit I cared about with the NFL when kapernik started the protest crap. They are done as far as I'm concerned.
The way UT has went the last few years it's gotten hard to watch. After these last 2 games I'm just about done altogether.

i like jalen and think he got a raw deal from bama.
3rd Quarter of the Oklahoma game just ended... Jalen Hurts looks fantastic. He's run for 3 touchdowns and thrown for 3. He looks better than he ever did at Bama. Good for him! I felt bad for what happened to him here.

If he keeps this up all season... Do I hear Heisman?

Back