Tannins to make crisp pickles

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dani

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have read that you can use grape leaves, oak leaves and even horseradish leaves when making pickles so that they stay crunchy because of the tannins. I've done the pickling lime, but not able to buy locally. My mom brought me some when she had gone to visit relatives in CO but that is almost gone. Have also used alum, but that can get pricey. I've had grapes in the past but those were killed back during Rita and I never did replant. I have plenty of white and red oaks, even scrub oaks (not sure if they have tannins) and also horseradish is very plentiful. Any of you, used either of these for pickles?

I have read that you can use grape leaves, oak leaves and even horseradish leaves when making pickles so that they stay crunchy because of the tannins. I've done the pickling lime, but not able to buy locally. My mom brought me some when she had gone to visit relatives in CO but that is almost gone. Have also used alum, but that can get pricey. I've had grapes in the past but those were killed back during Rita and I never did replant. I have plenty of white and red oaks, even scrub oaks (not sure if they have tannins) and also horseradish is very plentiful. Any of you, used either of these for pickles?
Can you order pickling lime from Amazon? I’ve heard of grape leaves but not the other.

I could order online, but I hate having to use a credit card. Just too many people have identity stolen buying stuff online. My sis had her stolen twice that I know of and her husband once. No thanks. I make do with what I can buy local or with what I can find in place of and if I can use the oak leaves, that's a freebie for me :).

Not oak leaves, only use the inner bark. It requires a draw knife or a quality machete. You have to cut off the outer bark to get to the cambium cell layer that is the growing part of the trunk... It's the good stuff. You can get a draw knife at Northern Tool for about 30 bucks. I like the one I bought from them.

Ok Peanut. Thanks! Since yesterday batch I added leaves than it may not work :(. I guess I thought all parts of the oak had the tannins in them.

Today, I'm making up Bread n Butter pickles and going to add in horseradish leaves to try out to see if that will work like the grape leaves. Next time I will look for the inner bark of the oak.

Maybe I just asked the wrong person if the store could order. I do check every store we go into for the Tattler and have yet to find any in my area or moms when I take her shopping.

I hope you can find it. Shipping is a killer. Our Wal-Mart and local grocery store both carry the pickeling lime.

Back