Teaching grandson to hunt moose

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aklogcabin

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
A few days ago we had a cow moose n this years calf come through the yard. Obvious by their tracks. Then the night before last it looked like a possible legal bull came through. I grabbed up our 5 year old grandson, hung some binoculars on him n off we went.
We found the moose tracks n followed them for a bit. The moose wandered off into the bush so he set up on the back deck doing moose calls. Grabbed a kitchen chair n set it in front of the window n the door so he could keep watch. I was a proud papa ! He's been doing moose calls since he could speak. His mama says it's about the 5th word or sound he spoke.
Yeppers one real proud papa n I'm feeling sooooo blessed

We have two bull moose hanging around, one legal and one not. Lots of cows, so the bulls have their work cut out for them. I have my moose put away, so the legal one is lucky. My neighbors daughter got nice bull moose with a 30-30 with one shot through the heart a week or so ago. She is a city girl now and was out on the homestead visiting and the bull moose picked a bad day to walk through the yard. Her dad was rightfully proud!

For the last 5-6 years we have only seen 1 young bull on our place... Unfortunately there have been 3 moose hit in about a 10 kilometer or so stretch of our road..

Black bears have been thick as flies it seems during this last 5-6 years and a real pest around our barns and small livestock.. However.. This years we have only seen 1 bear in the donkey paddock.. Season was open, but we were just ready to leave for town.. I made 30-06 level noises to discourage it from hanging around the donkey or chicken barns... This year we have also seen 3 black tail deer in the yard and many ruff grouse.. Maybe populations have turned around just a bit in this area to let some other species flourish for a bit..

Teaching young cubs outdoor skills and the patience to use skills well is commendable...

Latest posts

Back