Tetanus

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I wonder if you have had your tetanus shots updated? I found out a few years ago that mine was in need of being updated, so after a few decades, got an update.

I just saw this video and thought it was interesting.

AAYFhge0gEIMzQzNGowajeoAgCwAgA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:b4b2d966,vid:ZAfJJmdZfR0[/URL]

I wonder if you have had your tetanus shots updated? I found out a few years ago that mine was in need of being updated, so after a few decades, got an update.

I just saw this video and thought it was interesting.

AAYFhge0gEIMzQzNGowajeoAgCwAgA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:b4b2d966,vid:ZAfJJmdZfR0[/URL]

OMG! I've been shot!!!
76354-151b90dd9136ad1e6bf6ca687dc37b7c.data

Just making a funny. :rolleyes:
Less than 2 years ago I got the 4-in-1, DTaP so I'm good for another 8 years:
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/dtap-tdap-td/public/index.html
Oh, and before the anti-vaxxers show up, it has been safely used for decades.

Last edited:
Right! This is different, imho, than many other vaccinations.
I remember hearing about lock jaw when I was a kid, and seeing the dog in the video really illustrated the problem.
[climbs on soapbox]
Yes, tetanus is real, and no it does not just come from rusty nails :rolleyes:.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetanus
In 2013, it caused about 59,000 deaths—down from 356,000 in 1990. Tetanus, notably the neonatal form, remains a significant public health problem in non-industrialized countries, with 59,000 newborns dying worldwide in 2008 as a result of neonatal tetanus.
Don't let this be you:
Opisthotonus_in_a_patient_suffering_from_tetanus_-_Painting_by_Sir_Charles_Bell_-_1809.jpg

[climbs on soapbox]
Yes, tetanus is real, and no it does not just come from rusty nails :rolleyes:.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetanus

Don't let this be you:
Opisthotonus_in_a_patient_suffering_from_tetanus_-_Painting_by_Sir_Charles_Bell_-_1809.jpg
That looks like a terrible thing to have to endure.

"Tetanus is often associated with rust, especially rusty nails. Although rust itself does not cause tetanus, objects that accumulate rust are often found outdoors or in places that harbor anaerobic bacteria. Additionally, the rough surface of rusty metal provides crevices for dirt containing C. tetani, while a nail affords a means to puncture skin and deliver endospores deep within the body at the site of the wound.[28] An endospore is a non-metabolizing survival structure that begins to metabolize and cause infection once in an adequate environment. Hence, stepping on a nail (rusty or not) may result in a tetanus infection, as the low-oxygen (anaerobic) environment may exist under the skin, and the puncturing object can deliver endospores to a suitable environment for growth.[29] It is a common misconception that rust itself is the cause, and that a puncture from a rust-free nail is not a risk.[30][31]"

I don't mess around with this kind of horrible illness that is so easily prevented. My last tetanus shot was maybe 3 years ago IIRC. I'd have to check my online medical chart to know exactly when. My health plan/insurance is very good about keeping me updated on things needing attention.

Clostridium tetani is from a big family of nasties... a cousin you've heard of 'Clostridium botulinum'

A weak immune system (common in us older folks) is asking for trouble... it's why it's so deadly in the 3rd world, poor diets etc.

For anyone who wants the nitty gritty the national institute of health is a good source.

--------------------------------------

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK482484/
--------------

And you can get it from several other sources than rust, even by ingesting it... according to the cleveland clinic.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/surprising-ways-you-can-get-tetanus-not-just-from-rusty-nails/

I need to check and see about mine. I'm pretty sure I'm due. Wife is due for sure.

Thanks for the reminder
Just be glad they don't use 'tha-gun' no more.
I been shot with tha-gun before, and it ain't no fun:mad:.

HCVets7.jpg

People have it so easy today, it's about like a mosquito bite.

It is essential to get a tetanus shot every 10 years.
When I had my horse, my doctor had recommended one every 5 years. I complied with that recommendation because the thought of tetanus scared me. Back then he would give me just the tetanus vaccine. it was not the multi TDaP. Most doctors’ offices don’t stock the vaccines (other than flu during the season). Retail pharmacies usually only have TDaP.

I have no idea when I got my last tetanus shot.
Could be anywhere from 2 years ago to 30 years ago.
I'm not an antivaxxer I just never gave it any thought.
OK, maybe I am an antivaxxer for things like Covid
I have scars on both shoulders from those air gun shots.

Seems I got 4 shots in one shoulder and 3 in the other... in bootcamp. Those air guns hurt, after 7 shots in 5min... felt like getting beat with a bat.
Prior to going to Vietnam we got a whole series of shots with the guns, for diseases common in tropical jungles. Like plague, thyphoid fever, and things I don't even remember. Maybe dengue fever too, I'm not sure.
And THEN we had to get them again before we could come back into the US.

Prior to going to Vietnam we got a whole series of shots with the guns, for diseases common in tropical jungles. Like plague, thyphoid fever, and things I don't even remember. Maybe dengue fever too, I'm not sure.
And THEN we had to get them again before we could come back into the US.
After receiving all of those at one time, don't you feel sick for a few days? And does the military allow some down time for those who do?

View attachment 109137
People have it so easy today, it's about like a mosquito bite.
So scary to have that happen. Somehow, Mom, a registered nurse, tried to distract us when we were getting our shots.

Related, because of immunizations:
The immunization that left scars on the arm, Smallpox. If your parents had the particular immunization, you didn't get the scab and scar. None of my siblings or I did get scars. When did that immunization start that caused the scab and scar? Discovered in the late 1700's, but when did people start getting a shot in the arm for it?
"Between the late 1960s and the early 1980s, the World Health Organization (WHO) began a worldwide immunization effort to eradicate – or completely destroy – the virus. If you’re from a younger generation, you probably don’t have a smallpox vaccination scar. Typically, only people over 40 years of age might have the dime-sized dent on their upper left arm. This mark is a distinctive sign that you received the vaccine at some point.

There haven't been any smallpox cases since 1977. It's unlikely that you'll need a smallpox vaccination unless you're in the military or work on smallpox vaccination research."

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/what-to-know-smallpox-vaccination-scar
"Before the smallpox vaccine existed, variolation – direct exposure to smallpox sores – was the usual immunization method. Material from smallpox sores was inhaled or rubbed into the skin. It was hoped that this would cause a smallpox infection that could be controlled and give a person immunity in the future. The smallpox vaccination came out in the late 1700s to replace this practice. "

Maybe making sure we are all current for all of our vaccinations would be a good preparedness thing to do.

Came back from my first cruise the Navy put out a list of all the shots we needed to get back un the USA.
I needed almost every shot. When I went to get them they said they had been waiting for me. One Corpsman said get this guy a chair, I said just get on with it. After the 4th or 5th shot I said you better get that chair. They sat me down, pushed my head down to my knees and just kept on giving me shots.
Afterwards I said I thought they couldn't give me all of them at the same time. They said what are we supposed to do, go around in circles while we wait for you?
I was sick in my rack for days after.

I know that children who get immunizations can be really sick for a few days, even just one immunization.
Now, are we going to scare people off from getting a tetanus shot? gaah

I just checked - my memory is shot. I thought my last tetanus booster was 3 years ago. But it was really only one year and two weeks ago. Guess I have no concept of elapsed time. Mine was the tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis combination shot.

As far as multiple vax's on the same day, last Fall I have my flu shot, pneumonia shot, and second Shingles shot at the same time. I was indeed a bit down the next day, but I could still function. I was fine after that. But mine were needle injections, not that giant ray gun looking thing y'all had used on you in the military back in the day. So I didn't have any pain at the injection site(s). Just some blah and general malaise the next day. In retrospect, I probably should have spread the shots out over different days/weeks.

A tetanus shot is nothing. Maybe it will be a little sore if you touch the injection site or move your arm into a weird position for a day or two. So minor that you don't even notice it 99% of the time. The 1% of the time when you do notice it, for me it's nothing more than "Oh yeah, I had a tetanus shot yesterday, didn't I?" Then I immediately forget about it and go about my normal business of not noticing it.

Jeez, my last tetanus shot was in...junior high? Seriously, I don't think I've had one as an adult. If I did, they snuck it in on me when I was getting something else.

Maybe I'll get around to it sooner or later. Maybe...😉
I think my last one was in grade school. Sliced my thumb open with a razor blade. Couldn’t get it to stop bleeding so mom took me to the emergency room. Six stitches.

Latest posts

Back