Thanks Pearl

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aklogcabin

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I just received a message from Pearl asking how I'm doing. Great as always.
This is a really nice gesture. And kinda makes me feel more welcome.
Been working on our new home every day. I did take time to build a new snow plow truck. We have had the bunch of snow this year. Over 100" so far. I showed our daughter how to plow and she now does that. For both sides of our places.
Got some heat inside the new house finally. Walls are insulated and have the vapor barrier installed. Going to get ready to hang sheetrock on the lid. Then blow in 26" of fiber cellulose insulation. Should be near r 70 or better. We have r 19 rockwool sound n fire in the walls. I will be adding another 2" of pinkboard ridgid insulation on the walls. So around r 33 in the walls. Been around minus 35-40 degrees here lately. And having extra insulation will help us save money.
Need to get our rabbitry running again. Breed 2 does next week. And our other 2 does 2 weeks later. Butchering 32 rabbit friers in 1 day becomes work. Although our daughter does the butchering now. Should be able to get 125 friers for the freezer this year. We will be bartering some for moose meat and salmon.
Thanks Pearl for checking in on me. Makes me feel kinda special

I just received a message from Pearl asking how I'm doing. Great as always.
This is a really nice gesture. And kinda makes me feel more welcome.
Been working on our new home every day. I did take time to build a new snow plow truck. We have had the bunch of snow this year. Over 100" so far. I showed our daughter how to plow and she now does that. For both sides of our places.
Got some heat inside the new house finally. Walls are insulated and have the vapor barrier installed. Going to get ready to hang sheetrock on the lid. Then blow in 26" of fiber cellulose insulation. Should be near r 70 or better. We have r 19 rockwool sound n fire in the walls. I will be adding another 2" of pinkboard ridgid insulation on the walls. So around r 33 in the walls. Been around minus 35-40 degrees here lately. And having extra insulation will help us save money.
Need to get our rabbitry running again. Breed 2 does next week. And our other 2 does 2 weeks later. Butchering 32 rabbit friers in 1 day becomes work. Although our daughter does the butchering now. Should be able to get 125 friers for the freezer this year. We will be bartering some for moose meat and salmon.
Hey there AKLC - good to see you!
You know it's difficult sometimes to identify who's missing. Like seeing someone who has had a mustache who has shaven - can't really identify what's different. Even when we don't reach out, please know your input is valued. It's the variation of voices that makes things colorful 😊
Also, R70 sounds good in those temps!

I ended up buying too much blow in insulation. Enough for r 100. But the trusses we have are 32 " tall. So will blow in enough to reach the bottom chord. So 27" or so. I'm building to zone 8 specifications. Arctic region. I was able to visit with a technician from the University of AK housing cold weather research center. And he kinda suggested the pinkboard insulation on the inside of the walls. And then I will install lathe horizontally and then 16" oc vertically to hold the sheetrock. I went to college for RHVAC way back. So nice to be able to have knowledge about insulation and heating. And kinda put my ideas into play. I've never seen another house built like this before. So excited to see how it works. All of the water lines and electrical wires will be ran on the inside of the pinkboard. Between the lathe. I will add a fresh air intake system to provide for fresh air supply into the house. Today I will finish up using black butyl caulk on all the edges of the walls behind the vapor barrier. And sealing all edges of the visqueen vapor barrier with red tape. Vapor barrier tape. Goal is to prevent any air from getting outside of the interior that will carry moisture into the wall. And keeping all outside air outside. I'll take a few pictures n post them. And I have 1 more window to install in gable end where our living room is. So we can see the northern lights better. Except it's 30 below at the moment so cutting a 3x4' opening in the house may not happen. But might. I'm kinda stubborn.
Been really missing going out to our remote cabin. I have 200 TnG pine boards that need to be installed on the cieling upstairs. And finish pounding the sand point well in. We should have running potable water right from the kitchen sink faucet then. No more need to run pond water through the hand pump water purifying pump. And finish up building the kitchen cabinets. Just need to put some TnG pine boards on the front of the cabinets. And I would like to set some traps out for lynx n wolves. And just kinda kick back n goof off a bit. I rarely take a day off for myself. So need to take the grandkids out ice fishing and a snogo ride. Bonfire and hot dogs n smores. And a lot of smiles. I love hanging out with the kids.
Always something to do for me. I have a couple of vehicles I want to flip so researching parts. 69 Ranchero and a 83 gmc jimmy. Same as a chevy blazer. This is another hobby of mine. I need to get a new garden set up at the new house. 5 raised beds n some ground rows. Move a bunch of berry bushes from our old house to the new one.
Good ol homesteading n country living.
Sure appreciate all the hellos from you folks, thanks again

Sounds like you have been hard at it. I can see why you haven't spent much time on line. You know you are always welcome here, and we would love to hear from you when you get the chance.

I just received a message from Pearl asking how I'm doing. I did take time to build a new snow plow truck. We have had the bunch of snow this year. Over 100" so far. I showed our daughter how to plow and she now does that. For both sides of our places.

:thumbs:

Aklogcabin.... My friend in Wasilla reporting lots of snow and cold.. I was kidding him ..this will help keep the bears denned up.. He saying when he plows snow to get to his green houses the moose will go in to be out of the weather.. So when he opens the door he needs to check first before going in..

Another record warm day today.. At 50+F / 32F low... Clear, calm, bright sun today.. Same predicted through next week..

Tim yes always checking for moose in the yard. Last year we had a bunch of snow. And a calf broke the door on the hay shed and slept in in on top of our hay. Was pretty ornery toooo. It died of malnutrition about 10 days later. Found it dead under a spruce tree near our new house. We have moose coming through the yard daily. Watched a cow n calf come through day before yesterday. They looked pretty healthy. Saw a car yesterday that was given a moose car wash. The moose lick the salt off the cars and it looks like a 4 year old washed it.
37 below at the moment. Read in the paper today that officials are warning of a natural gas shortage and folks heating with natural gas asked to drop heat in their house to 65 and turn off unused lights to conservative energy
We have a fuel oil drip stove in our new house. No electricity needed, keeping the inside above 25 when it's 35 below. With no installation in the attic. Just visqueen vapor barrier. Walls are insulated and vapor barrier up. I have a propane space heater I warm up with
1000005745.jpg

Where I lived in the far north and they still had a local newspaper they had a headline reading ..Rabbit Kills Moose... and the next bold line reading ..No it didn't choke on the rabbit..

Of course what happened was someone in a VW Rabbit hit a moose.. The moose died, the Rabbit was totaled, but no humans were hurt.. As funny as it sounds it is NOT funny in so many ways as that kind of collision is a major issue.. And happens more often then many think..

Another more tragic incident was a small car was totaled when it hit a deer. The deer flipped in the air and went through the windshield of an oncoming truck killing the truck driver..

I also know people who have hit bear on the highway.. They are somewhat like hitting a brick wall.. Keep safe..

Where I lived in the far north and they still had a local newspaper they had a headline reading ..Rabbit Kills Moose... and the next bold line reading ..No it didn't choke on the rabbit..

Of course what happened was someone in a VW Rabbit hit a moose.. The moose died, the Rabbit was totaled, but no humans were hurt.. As funny as it sounds it is NOT funny in so many ways as that kind of collision is a major issue.. And happens more often then many think..

Another more tragic incident was a small car was totaled when it hit a deer. The deer flipped in the air and went through the windshield of an oncoming truck killing the truck driver..

I also know people who have hit bear on the highway.. They are somewhat like hitting a brick wall.. Keep safe..
I remember a sign on the Glenn highway that reported the number of moose killed on that stretch of road. I knew a girl that hit a moose with her car. It came in through the woodshed and ended up in her lap. She probably would have been OK, but when the moose regained it's senses it thrashed around and now the girl is crippled for life. For that reason, I will never own a vehicle that is lower than a mooses belly, or elk.

There are over 350 moose car collisions yearly in our area

At what score does one team win?
My brother killed 3 deer with his Oldsmobile Delta 88 one year.
Every one of them ended up on his dinner-table.:great:
...I will confess that he was guilty of swerving a bit at times.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
My brother killed 3 deer with his Oldsmobile Delta 88 one year.
Every one of them ended up on his dinner-table.:great:
...I will confess that he was guilty of swerving a bit at times.:rolleyes:
My old car we referred to as the blue bullet- killed more deer than most rifles 😂
ETA: when I got a new car my only request was that it was not blue. The deer would jump into it 🙄

Latest posts

Back