The beard thread.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you grow your beard in the winter and shave it in the summer?

• Yes. it keeps my face warm.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I'm ugly as sin, my beard is a part of me!

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • I shave in the warm months.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I look like the bass player for ZZ_Top

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • No beard, but my ex wife has one that would make a gorillia proud!

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I don't do the flavor savor.

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
I keep mine trimmed with a handlebar mustache.
1670513111022.png
1670513168362.png

After serving in the USA INF, I usually scrape my face every morning... but when I'm camping in the field for any length of time, I'll let it grow. I don't have any trouble growing a beard or mustache, but the problem is the darned thing comes out gray or even white, making me look 20 years older, lol. No lie, I grew a beard & 'stache when I was falsely charged and jailed, as I couldn't be bothered with shaving until right before my bogus trial, aye? Well, the first time I shaved after several months, the inmates in my module exclaimed, "Whoa, dog, you look 20 years younger!" Weird how a beard can make you look so old... sometimes I'll even shave in the field, like one time when my friend & I were camping at Hidden Valley in Joshua Tree in February, and I was up early one morning, shaving in a small mirror with ice on the ground, lol. Some climber walked by and said, "Wow! Shaving in J. Tree! HARDCORE!!!" Then the guy walked over to some gnarly 5.12d boulder problem and just SENT the thing, despite the early morning chill in the air, lol... so exactly WHO was "hardcore" is up for debate. ;)

I have had a mustache for 50 years, but the beard comes and goes. I keep the mustache pretty trim. I don't like it when it starts to get into my mouth. I will grow a beard occasionally as fits my mood, and keep it until I can't stand the itch. Then it goes. Cabin Fever, very nice. Good looking beard. I didn't vote because none of the choices applied to me. BTW, Dusty Hill, the bass player from ZZ Top died last year. God Rest his Soul.

When I had Covid a few weeks ago I was not going anywhere and felt like crap so I just stopped shaving.
I did that once before and my beard grew out grey. It did make me look older and I don't need help in that department so I shaved it off.
I may or may not shave today.
I shaved it off. I was looking like an old bum.

Last edited:
I will type for Hubby since I don't have my own thank you very much 😂
Hubby shaves his in the summer/warm months. About a month(ish) before hunting season Hubby starts letting his beard grow. He keeps his beard from then through the cold months since it's warmth for ski season as well. I make him beard balm since it's a little on the wild side (conditions and calms). Sometime once it starts warming up in spring I will go to bed in the evening with a bearded husband since I go to bed before he does and wake up in the morning ready to beat up the stranger in bed next to me 😂 He does that to me every year.

the bass player from ZZ Top died last year. God Rest his Soul.
Damn. Wasn't a huge fan, but I'd crank them on the radio.
I haven't shaved or had a haircut in going on two years.

Too cheap to go to a barber. Electric trimmers with a guard gives me a beard trim and haircut every couple weeks or so. The beard needs to be short enough so that I get a good seal with my CPAP mask.

Well for me, I use to get razor burn really bad..
then I found out what was causing it… shaving. So it’s been growing for the past several years
I’ll even comb the crumbs and critters out pretty often

Damn. Wasn't a huge fan, but I'd crank them on the radio.
I haven't shaved or had a haircut in going on two years.

An odd piece of trivia: The lead guitarist, Billie Joe Gibbons, big beard. The bass player, Dusty Hill, big beard. The drummer, Frank Beard, mustache, but NO BEARD. Go figure.

I've had a mustache since 1973, at 13. Beard since 1978, with the exception of twice on my current job to get mask fit for a respirator. Grew it back the next day both times.
I normally cut mine with a number 4 guard every 2 or 3 months. But a couple times I cut the sides short and grew basically under my chin like a long goatee. Kept it for a year. Think I might do that again.

I'd been keeping mine pretty short (#2 clippers) at the request of my wife who liked a beard but didn't want it long. Just decided the other day to let it go for a while and see what I get. I'm a little nervous since I seem to have a pretty wild cowlick on my right side which makes the hair go towards my chin on my left side and away from it on my right so I look like I'm in a stiff wind from the left when it get longer. Hoping I can train it better when it's a little longer.
I had to shave mine for a job interview about 10 years ago and my kids went krazy - they'd never seen me without it, and said I didn't look like me anymore. I guess I really am that ugly 😂

This is a fun and interesting thread!!♥️ Hubby is always clean shaven and I like it!!

I can't do clean shaven, I have no place to hide my other chin. :ghostly:

The way I see it if God intended man to be clean shaven he wouldn’t have men growing facial hair !
My Dad's cousin was married to a woman who felt the same way. She was a dark haired beauty! And had dark leg and underarm hair too!! She always said " God put it there, I'm not shaving it"!😮 They had seven kids so I guess it was fine with Dad's cousin!! She had some facial hair too so I am staying on topic!!

Latest posts

Back