The closest I've ever come to death...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingnut

Rogue Dinosaur
Neighbor
I was just posting at another website, relating a story of the closest time I ever came near to death... and oddly enough, the incident did NOT occur while I was participating in extreme sports, serving in the Army, or trucking through the ghetto. It happened back when I was still a teenager, partying on the beach in my home town of Coronado. I hailed from a broken military home, as well as a hard-partying generation (CHS, Class of '79), and I was a diehard vertical skateboarder to boot... so I suppose it's only natural that the incident occurred during that time frame. What friends I had were also skaters, but some knew other kids in school, and one night we were invited to join some rich punk whose parents had gone away for the weekend... the parents owned a condo on the 9th floor of one of the Coronado Shores buildings (ten 150' condo towers on the beach just southeast of the Hotel Del Coronado, you can Google "Coronado Shores" to see pics). Truth be told, I didn't even like the guy (or ANY rich wank), but a couple of my friends talked me into going down there, as we could drink all the beer & free booze we wanted, aye? 😒

So we go down there, take the elevator to the 9th floor, find the right unit and enter to party. Now, those Shores towers all have concrete ledges on every floor, running under windows and balconies, and these ledges are used by maintenance personnel & high-rise window washers, aye? After hours and with nobody to stop us, it wasn't long before my skateboarding friends & I were drunkenly roaming along the ledge which bordered the rich punk's flat. Once you were on the ledge, which had a smooth beveled 45* angle at its outer edge, there was NOTHING to grab if you happened to slip & fall... a guy would've gone right over in a heartbeat and fallen to his death, SPLATTERING on the broad concrete terrace 9 stories down. I ain't jokin' either, it was wide open and the drop was severe... so imagine my consternation the following day when a good friend told me I had been RUNNING along that ledge while TOTALLY HAMMERED. I had no memory of actually RUNNING, but my friend was no BSer either... and I did have SOME recollection of being out on that smoothly-finished concrete ledge. No getting around that... 😳

I'll tell ya, that revelation SCARED ME, no two ways about it... and I vowed to NEVER return to that flat, since I had already DODGED a BIG-TIME BULLET. Even when my friends asked me to go down there again, I told 'em no dice, I just couldn't go. The thought scared me, and I'm not one who's easily scared either... I've always been good with heights, as a vertical skater and technical rock climber and whatnot, but it wasn't till AFTER this incident that I learned to have a healthy respect for heights. Gravity is a hard taskmaster, but when you're young & reckless, ya feel 10' tall & bulletproof. Looking back, I realize how EASILY I could've slipped and fallen from that ledge, yet at the time I was drunk and foolish... probably showing off for some gal at the party. As if---AS IF---any gal inside could've saved me if I had tripped and gone over the edge. Cripes, the very thought of it still gives me the shivers... my memory overall is excellent, and I can still recall stepping through the large sliding glass windows of that flat to access the ledge, but the running part I do NOT remember, I reckon that came later in the evening. 🙄

According to the Oriental Zodiac, I was born in the 'Year of the Tiger'---so I like to think I have nine lives to burn as I make my way through this journey, but I DEFINITELY burned one of those lives the night I dodged a bullet on that concrete ledge. I've dodged other bullets in my time, but none ever came so close... to this day, that thought gives me pause. Years later, my brother Pete (one of seven brothers, one sister) worked as a doorman down at the Shores, and one night a resident in a nearby tower committed suicide by leaping off a 12th-floor balcony; hearing the sirens and commotion, my bro secured his building and walked over to see what was happening. The suicide had SPLATTERED all over the concrete terrace... my bro said his head was nothing but a broad stain with skull fragments hurled in every direction by the impact. The building manager was a guy I knew from his visits to the surf shop, he had to identify the corpse and he said it was no easy task. Enough to make a person sick to his stomach, and we weren't lightweights in that department... by then, all of us had already seen death in various forms. 😬

I actually think that I've seen more death than many of my so-called "peers"---I've lost friends and family members, and I've seen heller death in fatality wrecks on the road, not by choice but because I happened along right after the wrecks occurred. I've even seen & heard some poor folks burning to death in a fiery rollover wreck in the median of I-70 in Kansas. I've seen corpses lying at the side of the road, no time for responders to even cover 'em yet. Hell, half my graduating class in high school is already GONE... there's an attrition rate in life, and that's a fact, none of us will get out alive. Sometimes, I look back upon the "free solos" I executed during my climbing days, including one magnificent free solo of a granite crag high above Horseshoe Meadow in the Sierras, not far from Lone Pine & Mount Whitney, but those solos were carefully calculated risks, unlike the night I drunkenly ran along a concrete ledge of a 9th-floor condo in the Coronado Shores. I easily could've DIED that night with one false step... but somehow, some way, I survived, though I was later arrested and spent the rest of the night in jail for being 'Drunk In Public.' 😟

NOT PARTICULARLY PROUD OF THIS INCIDENT, JUST WANTED TO SHARE IT BECAUSE IT STILL SCARES ME TO THIS DAY... AND I'M NOT EASILY SCARED, AYE? IT JUST GIVES ONE PAUSE FOR THOUGHT... 🤔

Last edited:
Doesn't compare to yours, but here's an incident I'm not proud of:

My older brother-in-law had a Mazda RX7 (back when I was in college...I'm led to believe it was one of the later, larger, faster models...it seemed bigger(?) than the RX7 my highschool girlfriend had...it was a nice vehicle). He let me take it for a ride...without him. I went up the ramp to the highway, and never stopped accelerating. I'm actually not sure how fast I went, but I did notice that the air conditioner cut out at 140mph, and we were still accelerating quickly.

I was passing cars going 70mph at well over 70mph relative.

I am so lucky to be alive.

My other brother-in-law was in the passenger seat. The idea was that I would drive out, and he would drive back. He declined to drive back. We have never discussed this incident after the fact, and that was over 25 years ago. I gather that the only thing worse than driving that car like an insane fool like I did...was probably being in the passenger seat while I was doing it.

Last edited:
Driving home from fishing a truck pulling a travel trailer lost control and started fishtailing.
The RV was on 2 wheels as it swerved back and forth. At the very last second he fishtailed back into his lane and missed us by less than a foot, closer to a couple of inches. We were both traveling over 50 MPH so it would have been all over.
Where we were it would have taken medical help over 45 minutes to get there.

Here's another close to death experience: I took a co-worker to the range. He was firing a 1911. We left the range, and he was holding the pistol pointed at me...I turned it away, and realized it was cocked with a round in the chamber. He had removed the magazine, but left it cocked with a round, and was pointing it at my face. WTHeck.

I still think about that. Safety first, people.

At least one version of the RX-7 was reputed to be able to do 150 m.p.h., due to its light weight and the all-important power-to-weight ratio... I've done my share of crazy driving too, believe me. Riding as a passenger also... in the Army, I recall one late-night "liquor store run" on the back 40 of Ft. Lewis, WA, my friend gunning his rice rocket (to beat closing time) and the two of us going at least 135 m.p.h. (I looked over his shoulder at the speedometer). The bike was a 750cc Honda, the one that superseded the GS750E Suzuki as the fastest bike in its class. 😒

Just saw your last post, I hate when people don't clear their weapons properly, I have a thing about that... and I usually let 'em know that they f#%d up, lol. It's the "unloaded guns" that kill so many people in this country, especially curious kids who stumble upon the weapons. And NOBODY should EVER point a weapon at a person unless he intends to kill that person... or is acting in a preventive manner to deter or disable that person. Some people NEED firearms training and should definitely attend firearms safety courses... might save a life or two down the line. 😕

Last edited:
... in the Army, I recall one late-night "liquor store run" on the back 40 of Ft. Lewis, WA, my friend gunning his rice rocket (to beat closing time) and the two of us going at least 135 m.p.h. (I looked over his shoulder at the speedometer). The bike was a 750cc Honda, the one that superseded the GS750E Suzuki as the fastest bike in its class. 😒
I spent a "summer" at Ft. Lewis. Ah, the memories....

Had a great fight with opfor which were Special Forces...we came out on top...through dumb luck of course. (Although, they should have left a guard on their vehicles. :cool: )

The snipers messed us up real good, though. To this day, I'm convinced they were lying about how many snipers we were up against. Either that, or the typical US sniper can violate the laws of physics. :)

Also had a fun weekend in Seattle...one weekend the entire time we were there. We were in the field right up until leave (I assume they did that by design, as we were so exhausted by the time we left for Seattle...that evening, a "good time" constituted a newspaper and a coffee. We literally had no news for weeks.) The second night in Seattle was a little more fun. 😁

I hope that others chime in here with their experiences, maybe some younger hands will learn something... those of us who have managed to survive for decades could still use a reminder that life is not permanent. Dunno why that incident at the Shores popped into my mind earlier today, but at the other website we were discussing the fear of heights... and that incident I described is the only one I know where I RETROACTIVELY experienced a fear of heights, lol. Too drunk and foolish to know better at the time, yeah? And lucky to be here as well... it all could've ended over 40 years ago. :oops:

wow. yall a bunch of wild boys. God must have a terrific plan for each of yall cause youre still here. the good Lord wasnt ready for ya. lol
Yeah, it's way too quiet up there:LOL:.
I have been told "No!" 3 or 4 times and sent back, when I was 'supposed to' die.

In Ketchikan the airport tarmac in down at a lower level with a taxiway up to the runway. The now wife and I were flying out to spend a few days at a cabin on a lake. Our taxi was a Cessna 185 on amphibian floats. We loaded up and then taxied over to the edge of the taxiway. Rather than taxi up to the runway the pilot took off from the taxiway.

As we came out of this hole we were at a climbing attitude. The pilot could only see upwards and to the left. I was sitting next to him in the co-pilot seat so I had a view to the right. As we popped up I saw a Hughes 500E helicopter coming down the channel towards us. I had exactly enough time to say the famous last words, "Holy S***".

The FAA said that the rotor was within 2" of the underside of the tail section. The cables for the after flight surfaces run along the bottom of the fuselage. Had these cables been cut we would have gained the flight characteristics of a rock. In the climbing attitude we were at the rotor passed 12" to 18" (<1/2 meter) under my feet.

The two in the helicopter died before they hit the water. Our pilot did a 180º turn, flew past the airport, did another 180º turn and crash landed us on the runway.

Buy me a beer sometime and I'll go into more detail. I've had a few other close calls but this one will do for now.

Afterward: I was having an argument with my brother one day. His said,"The chances of you being right are like the chances of walking away from a midair collision." I responded, "I did walk away from a midair collision. So did my wife, that's like 25% of the people in this house." Silence.

Sitting in the seat of 50 ton crane. An open station cab with a 12 foot I-beam swinging straight at me at about 32 ft per second. It all happened in the fraction of one second.

Didn't have time for my life to flash before my eyes. But I relived that moment and the time leading up to it and afterwards in slow motion, over and over again.

It was a team effort to operate the industrial crane. My teammate had an off day, A momentary loss of concentration and nearly killed me. At the last moment, the cable caused the I-beam to rotate and crash into the rops structure at chest level. I immediately dumped the winch and sent it crashing on the tarmac. My assistant was white as a ghost!

To many to list here I could write a book series on the number of times and ways I should be dead. I will mention the three most memorable.

The first happened in my late teens riding a honda hawk with Windy, my girlfriend at the time. When a woodgrained sided tank of a late 70's stationwagon pulled out 8 yes a measured eight feet infront of us doing 40ish mph we hit right at the door hinge and I drug my shoulder through the windsheild from one side to the other. Windy who was on the back flipped up and over the traffic lights and broke her leg in about a dozen places.

The second was on another honda flying down dirt mountain roads at twilight when the back wheel hub center came apart and locked up the wheel. I was doing between 70 and 100 when this happened. There was a several hundered foot drop on one side of the road and a vertical rock wall on the other. I managed to hit neither somehow!

So now I've made it to my mid 20's and I've been racing for several years and was doing pretty well. One weekend, maybe July 4th for a big race we had been running all day and things were going great but there was a storm coming in and the wind was blowing HARD from the east. The track ran west to east. I was at the end of the track just about to get passed right at the finish line and I touched the NOS already going about 140mph and the wind gusted right at the time I tickled the switch and stoof the car on the rear bumper at over 140mph as I crossed a half a fender ahead of the competition. I just knew I was dead, that was the longest ten seconds in history trying to get the front tires back on the ground without turning in to a greasy spot! I had a picture of the car going through the traps on the rear tires with the time slip stapled to it. Went through the traps at 144mph on the rear tires only.

Last edited:
accident with a chain saw in the mid 1970s, could have lost my leg but luckily it was only a flesh wound.
Great stories here!

Neither of these are my stories. I have always been a cautious person, having had a father who loved to be reckless.

My first teaching job in a private school, the son-in-law of the owner lost his life to a saw blade. His wife had been hounding him to remodel the basement and had been really after him one day, and then his saw cut through his artery in his leg and he didn't survive. She was a mess for quite a while, years.
I knew a guy who was missing tips of his fingers and a couple of fingers when he was a carpenter. He was an alcoholic. Not only shouldn't drink and drive, but should drink and power saw!

I thought of another time I came close to death.
I went to a football game with 6 other kids. After the game they dropped me off at home and 15 minutes later they were hit by a train and all 6 were killed instantly.
It was very difficult being a pallbearer for 2 and attending those 6 funerals at 15 years old.

Wow, crazy story.. Glad Ya'll are the ones telling it, and they're not in 'third person'. 🤔 This was "pretty close", I'd say (only that, given the AGL - Most-likely not survivable.. Cowl Fire on Flight o_O

Second-closest was stepping off a curb to cross a street in NYC, ~14 yrs old, with my stupid-face buried in the subway map as I walked - And one of the friends I was with Grabbed my shirt-collar, and yacked me back enough to Stop me in tracks - as a Ford Econoline doing about 35 mph whooshed probably 6" or less from my face.. It 'messed up my hair', which was plastered down with aloe-vera gel, and ripped the map from my hands.. :oops: That was a Close one.

Third, Crash on I-40 ..Yah - a mere '5-6 inches further into' the cabin - I very-well might not be typing this right now.. o_O

Life is Short and Fragile. Savor every Moment, Hug your Loved Ones withOut Fail every chance ya get. :cool:

jd

Yeah, Backlash, a moving train will do it. This morning, as I was thinking of this thread, I remembered an incident which occurred during Basic & AIT at Fort Benning, GA, "Home of the Infantry"---AIT just means 'Advanced Infantry Training.' As a company and sometimes as a platoon, we used to march out and visit firing ranges on the post, firing our weapons during training and then marching back to the Sand Hill barracks to clean our weapons before turning them in to the Arms Room. Our weapons were SUPPOSED to be cleared back at the ranges, not only by individual troops but by the range cadre. Once we had cleaned our weapons at Sand Hill, the platoons would break formation (one at a time) and line up along the wall of the Arms Room, waiting as the cadre in the Arms Room checked each weapon for cleanliness. 😒

That company area was similar to an underground parking garage, but with more light and two sides open: concrete pad or deck, brick walls & concrete pillars, concrete & brick barracks overhead. There was also an open area in the center which divided platoon areas, so we had 1st & 2nd Platoon on one side, 3rd & 4th on the other. This arrangement allowed a company formation with the troops out of any wet weather, though we'd be in it soon enough and the cold was often merciless at 0300 or 0330. I only attempt to describe this area because it was nearly enclosed, which has bearing upon the incident which occurred one afternoon after we returned from the firing range(s). On that day, we were running late according to our training schedule, so the CO told us we would simply turn in our weapons and clean them the following morning. 😐

So 1st Platoon broke formation and lined up along the wall of the Arms Room, and the rest of us simply stood at ease, waiting for our turn. There was a guy in 1st Platoon known as "PX Patterson"---he earned that moniker after he was caught trying to sneak down to the PX, which was off limits to trainees. Well, that fool was joking around in line against the wall, and to emphasize a point he lifted the butt of his rifle and hit the ground with it... and as he did this, the rifle barrel and front sight post slipped from his hand and the weapon discharged as it was falling. Now, that round could've hit ANY one of us in that nearly enclosed area... later investigation revealed that it had blown past the next guy forward in line, then buzzed some other troops as it entered the double door of the Arms Room at an angle and went through the acoustic ceiling, to rattle around up there for a while before it was spent. 🙄

It was rightfully regarded as a very serious incident: the CO had us gather around and he gave us some good advice about the importance of clearing our weapons at each firing range. I remember talking to the guy who was standing ahead of PX Patterson in line: that guy was pale as a ghost after the incident, and like Patterson, he was black. My fellow soldiers in 2nd Platoon talked about the incident afterward: it was a little scary, knowing that rifle could've fallen in ANY direction and the round could've hit ANY one of us. There was a slight delay between the butt of Patterson's rifle striking the ground and the firing pin striking the live cartridge still in the weapon... just enough to allow the rifle barrel to fall in ANY conceivable direction. I distinctly recall hearing one guy in my squad later say: "They ain't payin' us enough for this BS!" As you can imagine, PX Patterson wasn't too popular among the troops after this incident occurred. 😬

ANYWAY, THAT'S ANOTHER TIME WHEN LITERALLY ANYTHING COULD'VE HAPPENED, BUT WE ALL GOT LUCKY... 1ST PLATOON CADRE CHECKED PATTERSON'S WEAPON EVERY TIME AFTER THAT INCIDENT. 😠

Edit: Forgot to mention that I was in 1st Squad, 2nd Platoon, which meant that I and others in my squad were the first line of troops facing toward Patterson as he dropped his rifle. Had the rifle fallen in our direction, the discharged round could very easily have hit any one of us, even in a ricochet, as we weren't that far away. :oops:

Last edited:
I came close to death a few times in Nam, from incoming NVA rockets and mortars.
The closest was when a piece of schrapnel came so close to my head I actually felt the hot breeze on my face.

As an old friend of mine once said, sometimes in a fight, survival is a matter of inches and angles. Inches and angles. Think about it. An inch over or a different angle for that angry piece of steel and my name just possibly could be on The Wall.

I am here today by the Grace of God. And I thank Him each day not only in my morning prayers but throughout the day as well.

accident with a chain saw in the mid 1970s, could have lost my leg but luckily it was only a flesh wound.
Only a 'flesh wound'?
You should hang out with people like us! :thumbs:
Imagine you were a passenger riding with me in this truck:oops::
22736-24267.JPG

So that's where the scratches on my trailer came from
They backed up both lanes of traffic for over an hour to use 2 wreckers to lift up the trailer to extract my truck.
The impact was so strong, the emblem shot off the front grille down the road.
I managed to pocket it before they loaded me into the ambulance.... still have it to this day :D.

...There was a guy in 1st Platoon known as "PX Patterson"...
I decided early on that every unit has a PX Patterson. He's the guy who puts everyone else at risk because he can't follow basic safety instructions. He's the guy who drops the grenade, or discharges a rifle, or whatever. Sometimes it was almost spiritual...the guy whose orders might have made some sense, but inevitably led to disaster. I made it my mission with every new assignment to find out who the local "PX Patterson" was...I took it as a life or death matter to find out which one was him. I had a different name for him...but that's who he was. There always seemed to be that one guy....

There always seemed to be that one guy....
There is always one... or more in my case. I was a section leader in bootcamp, in charge of 15 guys. Every moron in the company eventually got assigned to me!!! Seems I had a knack for teaching idiots how to make a bunk and dress themselves. I could have done without that gift, at least temporarily. :rolleyes:

Weedygarden's post about losing dogs started a train of thought for me this morning: I've lost many pets over the decades, due to age, predators, accidents, whatever... and it was never easy. As an older bachelor living with cats, I'm quite attached to each animal, and whenever I lose one, it hurts, aye? I've also lost good (human) friends over the years, not to mention family members... so in that respect, I have been close to death many times. More times than I ever wanted to be, that's for sure. And those losses never come easy... they're like hammer blows in 'The Forge of Life.' 🥵

I previously mentioned in this thread that, as a younger man, I used to 'free solo' crags and taller cliffs... including one magnificent 'tribute solo' to a good friend & former climbing partner who had unexpectedly passed away (for reasons unrelated to climbing). A 'tribute solo' is where a climber puts EVERYTHING on the line---including his own life---to honor a friend who has died. This may sound crazy to some, but a well-executed free solo is an intimate tryst with nature, and once it's successfully completed, one has a spiritual sense of fulfillment hard to find in this material world. 🤔

I think of those friends & family I've lost, and all the times when I willingly put my life on the line in order to experience some sense of fulfillment, and I'm reminded of a poem I've always liked... oddly enough, this very same poem was read aloud by Timothy McVeigh before he was executed, go figure. Some view him as a coward, others view him as a hero... I have mixed feelings about what he did, and I fully understand why he struck a blow against a tyrannical gubmint, I just think he chose the wrong targets. Had he killed an equal or greater number of scumbag politicians & corrupt POS judges, he'd be a REGULAR F#%NG HERO. 😒

Anyway, here's the poem, it was written by a man who endured his share of hardship in this mean ol' world... 😬

INVICTUS

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll,

I am the master of my fate,

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley (1849-1903)

Pretty cool poem, yeah? Though I don't wholly agree with his claim that he is master of his fate... sometimes ugly things happen in this world and you have ZERO CONTROL over them. That's just the way life is, but you can take steps to reduce chances of injury or death. Still, we all got it coming sooner or later, lol. Reminds me of that classic tune by Jerry Reed and the boys, I'll dredge up a link here in a moment. But here's the thing, my spiritual armor which really shines: I've already lived a full life, so even if I die today, NOBODY can take that away from me, AYE? The same reasoning saw me through a false imprisonment of six months, when I was falsely charged & jailed in Kommiefornia... 😠

Those goombah tards and their corrupt POS D.A. and judges just couldn't break me, ya know? I'd sit in my cell and think of all the sailing, skateboarding and dirt biking I'd already done, more than most folks will ever do in a lifetime, and the corrupt scumbags just couldn't take those good memories away from me, lol. They'll always be with me, right unto the day I die or contract Alzheimer's, lol, so p!$$ on the gubmint trash, those dirty swine. When all other freedoms are taken from you, the freedom in your soul cannot be touched... it is sacred and inviolate. Something to remember as this country circles the drain, and life as we know it morphs from "the good old days" into some globalist-sponsored leftist f#%ng BS. 😡

Old Dogs

Edit: Here's a link to a story I wrote about Mt. Livermore in West Texas... I mention that "spiritual armor" in the story. ;)

Mysterious & Magical Mt. Livermore

Further edit: I was about to dig some pics of Mt. Livermore outta my old school paper photo albums, when I realized that there are pics of the awesome Texas wilderness venue in THIS old thread:

Random outdoor adventure shots...

There are shots of Mt. Livermore on both pages of that old thread... that peak is a veritable CLIMBER'S PARADISE, too bad about all the access issues. Meh, I enjoyed several perfect hours on that mountain, good enough for me! :cool:

Last edited:
wow. yall a bunch of wild boys. God must have a terrific plan for each of yall cause youre still here. the good Lord wasnt ready for ya. lol

You are soooo RIGHT!! There are to many to relate, and massive amounts of alcohol were usually involved. For those who remember the movie Animal House, to me that movie was real. I knew all of those people, and I was half of them. Like Dragnet, the names were changed to protect the innocent.

We are living proof that Guardian Angels exist.

Latest posts

Back