The end is near, Nat Geo style

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_marsh

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
So what do you think of Nat Geo's guide to surviving doomsday?

5f0yuqj4m92d1.jpeg

Do you think there is a market for a male mid sixty number 8? Asking for a friend.

Back to your OP, on the plus side, it is a positive thing that prepping is being discussed.

Among the many misleading items (such as 200 gallons of water per person per year), is the notion that if you spends some money to buy things you can survive what is coming.

Borrowing from a recent post I made:

What you have is all you'll have, if you can keep it. Most of us won't survive SHTF. History has shown everything can collapse really fast. For those not already well situated it's probably too late, the learning curve is steep and the consequences of failure are final. The important decisions have already been made. Stay away from crowds.

Back to lists, there was an interesting blog back in 2009 that discussed items a Alaskan trapper would consume over a trapping season. This would be for about half a year. Posting to compare with what the Nat Geo document list for a year.

https://survivalblog.com/2009/09/22/letter-re-grub-and-gearlessons/

• 90 lbs bisquick
  • 50 lbs Beans
  • 50 lbs Rice
  • 25 lbs Salt
  • 25 lbs Lentils
  • 20 lbs oatmeal
  • 10 lbs Sugar
  • 10 lbs lard
  • 10 lbs powdered milk
  • 10 lbs split peas
  • 10 lbs Tang [freeze-dried orange juice powder]
  • 10 lbs coffee
  • 10 lbs noodles
  • 1 case tomato paste
  • 5 lbs strawberry Jam
  • 4 lbs honey
  • 2 lbs pepper
  • 5 gal White gasoline
  • 4 large boxes wood matches
  • 24 large Plumber’s Candles
  • 8 rolls toilet paper
  • 6 lantern mantels
  • 7 Lbs Trapping wire
  • Gun oil
  • Trapping lures and scents

Two-hundred gallons of water might get you through half a year, if you are careful. Since when are guns, medicine, and salt luxuries? All three keep you alive. I doubt that the person that drew this knew much about survival.

Back to your OP, on the plus side, it is a positive thing that prepping is being discussed.

Among the many misleading items (such as 200 gallons of water per person per year), is the notion that if you spends some money to buy things you can survive what is coming.

Borrowing from a recent post I made:

What you have is all you'll have, if you can keep it. Most of us won't survive SHTF. History has shown everything can collapse really fast. For those not already well situated it's probably too late, the learning curve is steep and the consequences of failure are final. The important decisions have already been made. Stay away from crowds.

Back to lists, there was an interesting blog back in 2009 that discussed items a Alaskan trapper would consume over a trapping season. This would be for about half a year. Posting to compare with what the Nat Geo document list for a year.

https://survivalblog.com/2009/09/22/letter-re-grub-and-gearlessons/

• 90 lbs bisquick
  • 50 lbs Beans
  • 50 lbs Rice
  • 25 lbs Salt
  • 25 lbs Lentils
  • 20 lbs oatmeal
  • 10 lbs Sugar
  • 10 lbs lard
  • 10 lbs powdered milk
  • 10 lbs split peas
  • 10 lbs Tang [freeze-dried orange juice powder]
  • 10 lbs coffee
  • 10 lbs noodles
  • 1 case tomato paste
  • 5 lbs strawberry Jam
  • 4 lbs honey
  • 2 lbs pepper
  • 5 gal White gasoline
  • 4 large boxes wood matches
  • 24 large Plumber’s Candles
  • 8 rolls toilet paper
  • 6 lantern mantels
  • 7 Lbs Trapping wire
  • Gun oil
  • Trapping lures and scents
That's not enough.
You will definately need more than this.

As a horizon-to-horizon prepper, it looks fine, I expect to die anyway, but it won't be because I didn't give it an honest try. Now when I lived this stuff 24/7, I'd laugh at him. Lets call it a starter kit for singles.

Two-hundred gallons of water might get you through half a year, if you are careful. Since when are guns, medicine, and salt luxuries? All three keep you alive. I doubt that the person that drew this knew much about survival.
I agree, that the diagram has plenty of big technical holes in it.

But sadly, I assess that many who frequent prepping forums are not even that prepared.

There are plenty who are "All hat.....No Cattle"

this whole prepper thing might get a litte more real no matter who is talking about it.....
https://halturnerradioshow.com/inde...ision-declares-will-take-taiwan-in-early-june
Even though their industrial/manufacturing output has been falling, China has been building big stockpiles of strategic resources/minerals.

They have been stockpiling gold for more than a decade.

The Ukraine thing has also resulted in them sourcing a lot more of their oil and gas needs from Russia.

They are preparing for something.

make sure you know what you should be eating most carbohydrate food is just there to get in the way of fat metabolism, some body types can derive energy from it , but not that many DO NOT Believe M.D. s and dieticians about what you should eat. OR do what ever you want, I just put the info out.

if folks had just whats on this list as a society we be so much better off...why...because its so much more than average person has now.

I agree, that the diagram has plenty of big technical holes in it.

But sadly, I assess that many who frequent prepping forums are not even that prepared.

There are plenty who are "All hat.....No Cattle"
Yep, but I prefer to take my advice from someone that has scraped a few road apples off their boots.

Yep, but I prefer to take my advice from someone that has scraped a few road apples off their boots.
road apples are mostly self cleaning, its the meadow muffins that take some scrapping

They are preparing for something.
So is America, preparing for "Something".
By the same rocket scientist who skillfully engineered the withdrawal from Afghanistan.

I remember when America was the Greatest Nation on Earth. It is a fond memory.

I personally don’t like other peoples lists. Since I got in to this big time in 2020, I have come far..
Yes we did alter our diet a bit. Practiced with meals of Rice, a can of beans a can of corn.
But I feel comfortable with my rotation system and what i have stored.

So you were a covid prepper?
I was a prepper back east, snow and ice storms. My ex used to complain about things we had until we had a 2 week ice storm. My family was fed

In 2020, I saw the way it was going and ramped it up. Lost quite a bit during a fire evac with no power.

That sent me on my journey.

Latest posts

Back