The garbage can challenge. Newbies only unless you have advice.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magus

The Shaman of suburbia.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Walmart's way of not showing you what they have until you click, its fine.
there's actually some kick-butt prepper oriented deals going on, I had no idea they sold MREs!!!

I USE 60 GAL black, screw top plastic barrels 23 cases (24 CANS each)will fit in each one. I have made a triple sling so they can be lowered into the ground with a boom on a tractor.
I no longer have any pictures of them because this computer is crap. I have uploaded some somewhere but, I can't remember where.

There we go!. I have to use steel myself, too many critters that can destroy plastic, so moisture and oxygen absorbers are in the plans! Tractor... UM. thanks, I'll be going to three ten gallon lockable cans now instead! you just saved me a ton of trouble man! thanks!

Nobody going to horde with me? :p
People might call me a hoarder if they saw my preps. I've been using the black bins with yellow lids and 5 gallon buckets for storing things. In the last year or so, we can get smaller black bins with yellow lids which are 12 gallon. I've gotten 27 gallon ones for a few years. With the smaller bins, I organize things such as gluten free pastas. They are easier to move around.

People might call me a hoarder if they saw my preps. I've been using the black bins with yellow lids and 5 gallon buckets for storing things. In the last year or so, we can get smaller black bins with yellow lids which are 12 gallon. I've gotten 27 gallon ones for a few years. With the smaller bins, I organize things such as gluten free pastas. They are easier to move around.
I plan to stock things that go together, beans/rice/pasta together. oddities like lentils, potato flakes, milk and specialty pastas, Limas etc go separate. Might have to get a can full of condiments past salt and pepper too.

I plan to devote my pitiful 20$ WIC check to filling these containers, just to see how far I can go on 20$
I think that anything is good to prep. Every grocery store trip for me includes something to store, whether it be some pasta, sugar, canned beef, beans, canned fruit or veggies. Something, anything. While I have a good supply of dry foods, I would also like a good supply of wet canned foods in case there is little or no energy to cook with.

I'm looking at maybe 4 months of canned stuff just in 2 milk crates. two more under the sink.I just have 1 crate of dry goods, and its lacking. just rice and taters and some drink mix, for what I see in the immediate future, I am woefully under stocked. fortunately I don't use the shower in my Winnie, so I'll stack it all in there.

Nobody going to horde with me? :p
You said newbies only!

20220827_182908_HDR.jpg

Ben

Funny, guy I know filled a 55gal plastic olive barrel with emergency food. He then dug a hole to hide the barrel.

Only to discover he couldn't pick up the barrel to put it in the hole. It was too heavy. Had to empty it...

There after he put the barrel in the ground first then filled it. 🤣

My math says one 33 gallon container per person per 6.06 months for dry rice.
My math says another 33 gallon container per person per 6.06 months for dry beans.
So one should have two to four cans per person & a way to cook off the grid for one year.
That not counting water which you will need to cook any dry goods, how much rainfall do you get where you are.

My math says another 33 gallon container per person per 6.06 months for dry beans.
So one should have two to four cans per person & a way to cook off the grid for one year.
That not counting water which you will need to cook any dry goods, how much rainfall do you get where you are.
Wait what?

Don't springs count? ;)

Ben

Wait what?

Don't springs count? ;)

Ben
Sure, but not everyone is as prepared as you are. No electricity, no pump or city water, rain collection is easy, if you get rain.
Home can goods or store bought can goods are good, but you still need a heat source, coal, wood, woods, 500 gallon propane tank.

Did you account that the rice is only part of the meal and it will be supplementing yard salad and wild meat/other canned goods. as long as I get my 2500 calories and a few grams of animal protein, I'm good.

I lived off grid almost three years using mostly wood, a bit of propane when it rained.

I have a well and a Berkley, I'm good on water.

I'm just prepping for the incoming depression/ food shortages basically, not Armageddon. :)

Did you account that the rice is only part of the meal and it will be supplementing yard salad and wild meat/other canned goods. as long as I get my 2500 calories and a few grams of animal protein, I'm good.

I lived off grid almost three years using mostly wood, a bit of propane when it rained.

I have a well and a Berkley, I'm good on water.

I'm just prepping for the incoming depression/ food shortages basically, not Armageddon. :)
Sorry, I should have noted, that this was for low skill persons who need to save food from the store only.
One cup of rice & one cup of beans per meal, per person for teens & adults.
There are some people, like yourself, who can slip on boots & a K--bar & live in the woods for a few days.
Oh, have to ask, do you have a manual handle for your electrical pump, being you live off grid for 36 months?

I'm in!

By my math one 33 gal can will feed one rabbit for a year... I need 5+ for grow-outs. Not to mention cans with rice and beans for the humans!

Sorry, I should have noted, that this was for low skill persons who need to save food from the store only.
One cup of rice & one cup of beans per meal, per person for teens & adults.
There are some people, like yourself, who can slip on boots & a K--bar & live in the woods for a few days.
Oh, have to ask, do you have a manual handle for your electrical pump, being you live off grid for 36 months?
Nah, I either went to the creek and boiled it or humped a 5 gallon can maybe 3/4 a mile from my bud's well. it had a pump. You do raise a point, my health has took a dump on me since I've been back. I'll chuck my hand pump in here or get another by then.

@hashbrown thats fantastic. Puts my store to shame. I found alot of stuff that should keep does not. Could be the damp here.
Must get some photos of my wee stash. OH is giving over a corner of his forge for veg storage- he really knows how to treat a gal! :D

if you can eat oatmeal its a way to eat breakfast every morning for very very cheap. or it was last fall..it still is to certain extent. oats crop was low last year and again this year. last fall i bought 50# of oats from local store . my elderly father eats it for breakfast every day. its coming up on a year and he has used a large portion of it but not all.plenty left to get to end of year in fact. point being is $26 fed him breakfast daily for a year. i called store yesterday to see if they had 50# in stock and price. its $40 now. but its still a very cheap way to get breakfast daily. toss in a few hens to get a scrambled egg from time to time a single person be good to go.

i was told yesterday they can no longer get 50# of pintos,only 25# bags. they are $30 now.

i am going to get a 50# of the quick oats too for preacher cookies and such. this and a few spices give you cookie for a year like preacher cookies and DYI granola bars using coco powder,cinnamon,nuts and dried fruit and peanut butter.

you cant get a years worth of any meal or treat any cheaper.

Latest posts

Back