The great Condiment poll of 2019

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Your preferred condiment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm in the despise Miracle Whip camp. It's sort of like cool whip vs whipped cream, fake food vs real food.

For years I kept yellow mustard around for hotdogs... has to be yellow mustard on a dog but that was the only time I ate it. Back in august I tried some gourmet type hot and sweet mustard, love the stuff. I found some that was passable at the grocery store but... I need to make some of my own...

The recipe calls for eggs so it'll have a short shelf life but one day soon...

The Hot & Sweet blend takes mustard to a whole new level.There are several recipes on the net but the basics are colemans mustard powder, brown sugar, eggs and apple cider vinegar.

No one has mentioned BBQ sauce?

32126-clipart-illustration-of-an-expressive.jpg

Wow! You're right. I love a good BBQ sauce. Of course there are so many types it might need its own poll.

Hellmans is our go to mayo, never tried homemade. I bet that is good. We use a good deal of mustard to both yellow and the spicy types, grey poupon is good, but the honey mustards are great with certain foods. Horseradish is another we use a lot, got to have that for cocktail sauce for my shrimp. We use it in other stuff to. I keep a squeeze bottle of hellmans with horse radish in my fridge at work to go with certain things I take in. Ketchup, salsa, bbq sauce, ranch dressing, and a few others are good to have around for a given food. It'll be spelled wrong, but whoctishire is good to.

Last edited:
Mustard, regular and Dijon
Mayo & miracle whip
Salsa
HP and other brown sauces
Ketchup
Relishes (assorted)
Chutney (assorted)
Butter, margarine, cream cheese
And a bunch more all reside in my fridge and all get used regularly.

Somebody dissed both canned tuna and potted meats ... blasphemers.

Now if you want to take the sandwich that started it all ...

Butter the bread, put some sliced cheese on it, a thick slice of fresh garden tomato, some salt and pepper than garnish with mayo or miracle whip, leave open faced, place it under the broiler til the cheese bubbles, now you have a sandwich.

Or take a canned ham (or mystery potted meat) grate it up, mix in some cream cheese, some finely diced green onion, some mustard (dry or from a jar), some salt, some pepper and a little mayo (or miracle whip), combine everything. You can serve it with crackers or in a sandwich. Roll it into a ball and roll some slivered almonds on it, refrigerate and you have a fancy looking party treat served with assorted crackers.

I digress and it’s lunch time. Time for a sandwich.

I had to go look it up ... I couldn’t find stats on sales of Miracle Whip vs Mayo. Likely because mayo is sold by many brands and MW only by Kraft. Kraft foods says MW is one of the 20 biggest brands in the grocery industry (on what basis I don’t know). Supposedly Canadians prefer MW, and my anecdotal evidence of living most of my life in Canada supports that.

I consider myself a bbq/sauce connoisseur. I even keep a bottle of my favorite bbq sauce in my truck in an unbreakable bottle. Its vinegar based so it doesn’t need refrigeration.

Lots of folks in these parts know how to slow cook a pork butt, ribs or chicken. If a bbq joint has a sweet or tomato-based sauce I order the meat of my choice without sauce and supply my own.

All the original sauces are African based and appeared from North Carolina south to north Florida in the 1700’s. Those were vinegar based with hot peppers and a little brown sugar. Later hot mustards were added. My favorite type is a vinegar/mustard-based sauce.

To me the downfall of bbq sauces began in 1876 when Heinz ketchup hit the store shelves. I despise tomato based, overly sweet sauces. The worst culprit of all of these is Kansas City based sauces of which St Louis and Memphis sauces or just off shoots. But the later two rely much more on vinegar which makes a few that I’ve tried almost tolerable.

KC sauces turn my stomach. 90% of what appears on grocery store shelves nationwide is a KC based sauce. Even the bbq dipping sauce served at mcdonalds is a KC sauce. That says it all! KC sauces belong at micky D's. No offense intended... just my op...

The one big odd ball in all this is “Alabama white sauce” which I love, especially on chicken… It’s in its own world when it comes to bbq. It does have horse radish which I love.

The other odd ball group of bbq sauces came from Texas… They have some really good sauces.

I like a few of the Korean/Asian bbq sauces but they too are a world apart.

Last edited:
I consider myself a bbq/sauce connoisseur. I even keep a bottle of my favorite bbq sauce in my truck in an unbreakable bottle. Its vinegar based so it doesn’t need refrigeration.

Lots of folks in these parts know how to slow cook a pork butt, ribs or chicken. If a bbq joint has a sweet or tomato-based sauce I order the meat of my choice without sauce and supply my own.

All the original sauces are African based and appeared from North Carolina south to north Florida in the 1700’s. Those were vinegar based with hot peppers and a little brown sugar. Later hot mustards were added. My favorite type is a vinegar/mustard-based sauce.

To me the downfall of bbq sauces began in 1876 when Heinz ketchup hit the store shelves. I despise tomato based, overly sweet sauces. The worst culprit of all of these is Kansas City based sauces of which St Louis and Memphis sauces or just off shoots. But the later two rely much more on vinegar which makes a few that I’ve tried almost tolerable.

KC sauces turn my stomach. 90% of what appears on grocery store shelves nationwide is a KC based sauce. Even the bbq dipping sauce served at mcdonalds is a KC sauce. That says it all! KC sauces belong at micky D's.

The one big odd ball in all this is “Alabama white sauce” which I love, especially on chicken… It’s in its own world when it comes to bbq. It does have horse radish which I love.

The other odd ball group of bbq sauces came from Texas… They have some really good sauces.

I like a few of the Korean/Asian bbq sauces but they too are a world apart.
I like the vinegary type of sauces over the sweet sauces. I avoid bbq sauce in general because it usually has a lot of sugar in it.

I use quite a bit f horseradish. I like to make my own hot mustard from dry mustard powder.
Do you buy your horseradish, or do you process your own?

My parents and both sets of grandparents grew horseradish. If you have ever been around horseradish being processed, you will never forget it. Horseradish cannot be ground in the house or everyone has tears coming from their eyes. The house has to be aired out. Whenever we processed it, we always did it outside. Even then, we had to take turns with the old Universal hand grinder. What a memory!

I like a variety of BBQ sauces, but I am not a fan of the sauces that go super heavy on the cinnamon flavor. I like some of the vinegar heavy sauces but I actually prefer a blend of the vinegar and sweet, plus I like a smokey BBQ sauce. Since I don't eat much sugar, I usually blend my own at home so I get the best of all worlds with a low sugar content but tons of flavor. I have tried making my own with less than stellar results.

For BARBQ I am a huge dry rub fan. Bunch of spices mixed up and rubbed into the grain of the meat, then let sit for several hours. Works great on ribs or steak as well. I'm not much of a vinegar fan, although I love pickles and such. About the only sauce we use is Sweet Baby Rays, but a lot of times don't even use that.

I found horseradish powder at the Amish/Menno store...just add water. Works in a pinch for my husband when we have roast beef. Around here at Thanksgiving time, many people eat red chili sauce with their turkey and mashed potatoes...they use it as gravy. Gross.
Husband likes miracle whip and hot mustard
I like mayo and regular mustard
The grandkids put catsup on everything

It's simple:
Bread + Mayo+ Ham + Cheese = Survival Sandwich.
I do love BBQ sauce too and have yet to find a piece of meat ruined so bad that this couldn't rehab it:
GUEST_dfd010d8-e75d-418e-9143-c318f876e7a5

(also great for meat that has been expertly cooked:D)

Try making alabama white sauce at home, especially if you like chicken. Most recipes on the net are pretty basic... Just make sure you try one with horseradish.
What is Alabama white sauce? What is in it?

I put chow chow on any sandwich! That's my favorite but do like real mayo, ketchup. Got to have yellow mustard on hot dogs! And I love home made pico de gallo for breakfast burritos or any type!
Chow chow? What is in it? How do you make it. I am always a little skittish of things with unknown ingredients.

I looked up condiment, and it isn't just about mayo, mustard, barbecue sauce and ketchup.
Overall, there are a few different kinds of things I love to use as "condiments". Not everything is American fare of ribs, hot dogs, hamburgers, and sandwiches.
I like to use satay sauce (peanut based) to dip chicken in.
Agree on horseradish, home-mix cocktail sauce.
Tartar sauce for fish.
Tahini (sesame butter) is a tasty base for blending with lime, ginger, garlic.
Lemon or lime, honey, ginger, garlic, sesame seeds make a great sauce for broiling fish.
Homemade turkey gravy is a must have for Thanksgiving.
I am not a world class taster of barbecue meats, but Texas sure seems to have the flavoring for the woody flavor, whether it is hickory or mesquite, not sure. Absolute best taste in the world for beef, and I don't even like beef.

I am not a world class taster of barbecue meats, but Texas sure seems to have the flavoring for the woody flavor, whether it is hickory or mesquite, not sure. Absolute best taste in the world for beef, and I don't even like beef.
If it was Texas, it was mesquite. Hard to find the good aged stuff to work with, but totally worth it in a good smoker:D.
Hickory is for pork:rolleyes:.

What is Alabama white sauce? What is in it?

Do an internet search... lots of recipes and history to read. More info than I have. :)

I looked up condiment, and it isn't just about mayo, mustard, barbecue sauce and ketchup.

I was working a lot in Pittsburg, a few days every month. A mom & pop sandwich shop was by my hotel (more subs than anything else)... They had squeeze bottles on the table on which was written "sandwich sauce". I know there was oil and vinegar in it but there was a bunch of other spices I couldn't pick out... It was fantastic on any sandwich they had, sooo good. A secret recipe they said and wouldn't give it out. :(

Last edited:
Oh, right, @Peanut ...like the oil and vinegar on a Philly cheese steak. Yum. Oregano and parsley at least.
And @Supervisor42 it's not only Mesquite woodsmoke taste here in TX for beef. And hickory isn't used for pork alone. Turkey also gets cooked with these flavors.
I know also there are wood smoke liquids that can be purchased, although I personally haven't used them, but swear to the taste test: perfect.

Do an internet search... lots of recipes and history to read. More info than I have. :)

I was working a lot in Pittsburg, a few days every month. A mom & pop sandwich shop was by my hotel (more subs than anything else)... They had squeeze bottles on the table on which was written "sandwich sauce". I know there was oil and vinegar in it but there was a bunch of other spices I couldn't pick out... It was fantastic on any sandwich they had, sooo good. A secret recipe they said and wouldn't give it out. :(
That is how some places get started selling their own sauces and other items, have something that people want more of.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/244944/alabama-style-white-barbecue-sauce/

• 2 cups mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup prepared extra-hot horseradish
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
    O Organics Organic Yellow Mustard 8 Oz
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions

Mix mayonnaise, vinegar, horseradish, lemon juice, black pepper, mustard, salt, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder together in a bowl. Whisk together thoroughly until creamy and smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Footnotes
  • Cook's Note:
  • When basting, brush two or three applications on each side toward the end of cooking over more indirect heat. It sears on nicely. As a table sauce, it's great on any of the traditional barbecued meats, but since it's really just a salad dressing, it's also wonderful for making potato salad, coleslaw, and grilled vegetables.
  • You can use this sauce on chicken, ribs, pulled pork, or any fatty meat.
Nutrition Facts
Per Serving: 540 calories; 58.4 g fat; 4.7 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 28 mg cholesterol; 788 mg sodium.

Overall, there are a few different kinds of things I love to use as "condiments". Not everything is American fare of ribs, hot dogs, hamburgers, and sandwiches.
I like to use satay sauce (peanut based) to dip chicken in.
Agree on horseradish, home-mix cocktail sauce.
Tartar sauce for fish.
Tahini (sesame butter) is a tasty base for blending with lime, ginger, garlic.
Lemon or lime, honey, ginger, garlic, sesame seeds make a great sauce for broiling fish.
Homemade turkey gravy is a must have for Thanksgiving.
I use hickory when smoking meat.
Beef, chicken, turkey, pork ribs, beef ribs, pork chops, pork loins,hams Hickory is the go for great smoked meats

Latest posts

Back