The Resilient Farm and Homestead: An Innovative Permaculture and Whole Systems Design Approach

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkhound

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
put this book in your library...and practice being a producer of goods ! one of the most overlooked books for folks who want to survive longterm.

https://www.amazon.com/Resilient-Farm-Homestead-Innovative-Permaculture/dp/1603584447

The Resilient Farm and Homestead is a manual for developing durable, beautiful, and highly functional human habitat systems fit to handle an age of rapid transition.

Ben Falk is a land designer and site developer whose permaculture-research farm has drawn national attention. The site is a terraced paradise on a hillside in Vermont that would otherwise be overlooked by conventional farmers as unworthy farmland. Falk’s wide array of fruit trees, rice paddies (relatively unheard of in the Northeast), ducks, nuts, and earth-inspired buildings is a hopeful image for the future of regenerative agriculture and modern homesteading.

The book covers nearly every strategy Falk and his team have been testing at the Whole Systems Research Farm over the past decade, as well as experiments from other sites Falk has designed through his off-farm consulting business. The book includes detailed information on earthworks; gravity-fed water systems; species composition; the site-design process; site management; fuelwood hedge production and processing; human health and nutrient-dense production strategies; rapid topsoil formation and remineralization; agroforestry/silvopasture/grazing; ecosystem services, especially regarding flood mitigation; fertility management; human labor and social-systems aspects; tools/equipment/appropriate technology; and much more, complete with gorgeous photography and detailed design drawings.

The Resilient Farm and Homestead is more than just a book of tricks and techniques for regenerative site development, but offers actual working results in living within complex farm-ecosystems based on research from the “great thinkers” in permaculture, and presents a viable home-scale model for an intentional food-producing ecosystem in cold climates, and beyond. Inspiring to would-be homesteaders everywhere, but especially for those who find themselves with “unlikely” farming land, Falk is an inspiration in what can be done by imitating natural systems, and making the most of what we have by re-imagining what’s possible. A gorgeous case study for the homestead of the future.

I'm guessing you read it and others like it and this is your favorite? I am looking for information like this but sifting through the mountain of books like it is frustrating and a shot in the dark. I appreciate the guidance. Just looking at this one on the big A, I came across another book on farming on wooded acres.

I'm guessing you read it and others like it and this is your favorite? I am looking for information like this but sifting through the mountain of books like it is frustrating and a shot in the dark. I appreciate the guidance. Just looking at this one on the big A, I came across another book on farming on wooded acres.

its just one of many i like.

its just one of many i like.
Isn't it funny how after you've read a few, you start catching things. One book I read mentioned a chain-link fence in the house. I thought "Wow, kids must be animals." (haha) Author meant chain-link fence around the house. Editing is a fine skill. When you find a book that is both informative and well written, it's valuable.

my all time favorite is the very old reader digest back to basics book. its the one with yellow hard cover on it. a person sorta revamped it..i dont know details exactly but it has a womans name as author.they are in a series now but its not exactly same as original yellow cover one.its covers a wide range of items but i admit that its not super detailed...if you have some common sense coupled with that book you be fine..in fact if i had to have one book it would be it. it covers a wide range of items but theres just no way to cover great detail in a single book either. the few changes i would like to see or main one is a canning time table in it for pressure canning as well as waterbath.

this is the one.

Rd9153acec09955fe1f69ea00b577ba2b

The way things work (an IIIustrated encyclopedia of technology) by Simon

The Ruth Stout No-Work Garden Book By RS 7th printing 8/1973

I really like this young couple,they use to live in their van then bought some land in Canada using some of Ruth Stouts and other mentheds of gardening.

Latest posts

Back