The Rich Make The World Go Round

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
A family member just moved into a huge house. 1.3 mil. It has 7 bathrooms, 5 bedrooms a MIL suite and a safe room.
She has been very upset with her hubby about losing her home she really loved near the family and with a beautiful view. She said she thought she was having a nervous breakdown.
Hubby said why would anyone want a house that big.
I told him because without rich people their would be no jobs or progress.
For all the materials it takes to build a house people who make these materials are working and keeping jobs.
I know too there are downsides to this but look at poor nations who don't have big homes and progress.
Myself I like to keep it conservative but the reason I can is because somebody else went extravagant.

A family member just moved into a huge house. 1.3 mil. It has 7 bathrooms, 5 bedrooms a MIL suite and a safe room.
She has been very upset with her hubby about losing her home she really loved near the family and with a beautiful view. She said she thought she was having a nervous breakdown.
Hubby said why would anyone want a house that big.
I told him because without rich people their would be no jobs or progress.
For all the materials it takes to build a house people who make these materials are working and keeping jobs.
I know too there are downsides to this but look at poor nations who don't have big homes and progress.
Myself I like to keep it conservative but the reason I can is because somebody else went extravagant.
I heard an excellent quote from Mark Levin the other night. He said when you feel down on the rich in the USA just remember! Most countries around the world have loads of areas full of poor people and pockets of rich people. America has loads of areas with wealthy people and pockets of poor people. Your explanation to your husband is exactly why. You hit the Nail direct on the head.....

I heard an excellent quote from Mark Levin the other night. He said when you feel down on the rich in the USA just remember! Most countries around the world have loads of areas full of poor people and pockets of rich people. America has loads of areas with wealthy people and pockets of poor people. Your explanation to your husband is exactly why. You hit the Nail direct on the head.....

We like our little house we built it to live in as economically as possible, but I am glad we have a choice and so does everyone else. Well a choice to live in a small house or lose everything after the first dental bill comes in, never mind the major medical thing . :eek:.
Mr Big House has rich family so he thinks like they do I guess? :dunno:

My Dad used to point at one of the nicest houses in town and say "While that man lives like a king, he also employees about 15% of your schoolmates parents. He also donates to the school, donates to his church, buys from local business, hires local people to keep his place up and more. Some people will be jealous of him and some people will think ill of him because he has money. But we will appreciate what he does for this community and respect the fact that he has made himself successful. It's the American way."

Very good analogy.

My Dad used to point at one of the nicest houses in town and say "While that man lives like a king, he also employees about 15% of your schoolmates parents. He also donates to the school, donates to his church, buys from local business, hires local people to keep his place up and more. Some people will be jealous of him and some people will think ill of him because he has money. But we will appreciate what he does for this community and respect the fact that he has made himself successful. It's the American way."

So true, and aagin I agree.

BTW hubby after thinking about it totally agrees with the rest of us. He has been sick in the head and chest with flu so he isn't thinking well.

Isn't it ironic that those in other countries can see this but those in our own country can't???:confused:

It's the land of opportunity, but if you capitalize on that, you are somehow the bad guy, even though you become a bigger contributor to society then you were before. Too many sheep in our own country vilify the rich even if they made their way by being smart, putting in long hours and hard work, followed the law, employed others, paid lots of taxes, and contributed to their communities. I wish the naysayers would just pick up the shovel and do it for themselves but many around our area who actually have the talent, don't have the motivation. It's much easier to sit and hate on someone who made their own than to go out and put it all on the line in order to do the same. Funny how people forget those who built their own wealth often struggled thru lean times and took some major personal risks/gambles along the way. Remember the "you didn't build that" line???:mad: Could there be any more of a slap in the face than that? Let's just say I would have words to say to the person who spouted that if I were ever to meet him in person!:switch:

I've been rich and I've been poor.

Rich is better.

It depends on what you hold dear to your heart. You determine what is good for you. I've been on both sides, but maybe my "rich" is not the same as yours. It sure doesn't have anything to do with money. I do appreciate we have enough. Oldest and son 3, with all three grandkids came over for a visit. We took them out for a critter visit with granddaughter grabbing my hand going thruout the pastures. Momma had left out to go set up their RV to stay overnight so missed the critter tour. Once she got back, grandkids wanted to go again. I held back saying I would catch up in the goat pasture. They hadn't even made it to the goats. Granddaughter spotted me coming and ran back towards the house to grab my hand and say "Come on Nana". Those words right there means the world to me.

Last edited:
I was born poor. Son of an immigrant that knew about as many English words as the dollars in his pocket.

When I was young and impressionable, my father often took me along to visit one of his best friends. He was rich beyond my imagination, but onlookers and the like would never know due to his modest and frugal nature.

When he spoke, I was all ears and mouth shut. Had I have had the attitude that the "rich are evil" or "they cheated for everything they got" or what ever any other communist propaganda is purveyed in our public schools and especially universities! I would never have learned what I needed to learn to improve my social standing?

I was born poor. Son of an immigrant that knew about as many English words as the dollars in his pocket.

When I was young and impressionable, my father often took me along to visit one of his best friends. He was rich beyond my imagination, but onlookers and the like would never know due to his modest and frugal nature.

When he spoke, I was all ears and mouth shut. Had I have had the attitude that the "rich are evil" or "they cheated for everything they got" or what ever any other communist propaganda is purveyed in our public schools and especially universities! I would never have learned what I needed to learn to improve my social standing?
You made a very good point there. You listened and kept your mouth shut when your dad's friend spoke. That is very lacking now days with the younger people; they alread think they know everything. When I was a young boy I hung around old ranchers, cowboys, trappers and miners. I was like a sponge and soaked up everything they had to say. Of course they also taught me how to cuss and chew tobacco. I think it all helped defined who I am today.

You made a very good point there. You listened and kept your mouth shut when your dad's friend spoke. That is very lacking now days with the younger people; they alread think they know everything. When I was a young boy I hung around old ranchers, cowboys, trappers and miners. I was like a sponge and soaked up everything they had to say. Of course they also taught me how to cuss and chew tobacco. I think it all helped defined who I am today.
Agreed. Growing up most of the folks I was around were WWII vets and or farmers.

Unfortunately, Canon29 is correct :(.
Us taxpayers all work for the 'poor man'.:mad:
I don't know where you guys are from, but I've never met a "poor" business owner yet. I guess you need to define what you consider as a "poor" business owner. The majority of people in the US work for corporations. They are not poor. Yes, sometimes a corporation may go bankrupt, but that doesn't mean that the owners, board members or major shareholders are poor, just the opposite in fact.

I don't know where you guys are from, but I've never met a "poor" business owner yet.
I've been the owner or partner for 3 incorporated businesses. In my companies, I/we as the owners were always the last to get paid. Employees came first. There were times when business was slow and the owners didn't get paid. It got lean enough where I had to borrow just to keep a roof on my family's head.

I've been the owner or partner for 3 incorporated businesses. In my companies, I/we as the owners were always the last to get paid. Employees came first. There were times when business was slow and the owners didn't get paid. It got lean enough where I had to borrow just to keep a roof on my family's head.
Of course, that's the way it works. I've owned several businesses too. They never made me "rich", but I was far from poor too.
I've worked for several major corporations, at the executive level, that employed 10's of thousands of people. Add in the vendors and there were 10's of thousands of more employees. Every one of these companies had lean years too. It's common for most businesses to sometimes go several years without making a profit. Again, that's just the way business works.
Most major corporations are publicly traded companies and are "owned" by shareholders, with a board of director. Like I said, I've never met a poor one yet.

I don't know where you guys are from, but I've never met a "poor" business owner yet. I guess you need to define what you consider as a "poor" business owner. The majority of people in the US work for corporations. They are not poor. Yes, sometimes a corporation may go bankrupt, but that doesn't mean that the owners, board members or major shareholders are poor, just the opposite in fact.
I wasn't talking about business owners, I was talking about the 'poor man' that won't work :(.
The rest of us work for them so they have housing, food, water, etc. Yes, I pay taxes :mad:.

Last edited:
define "rich"
That is very difficult to answer, and is very subjective. I know many ranchers who are worth millions of $$ on paper, but may only get to keep $40,000 or so a year in income.
We've managed to work our income around to where we are considered "poor" by government standards. Our CPA and investment managers take good care of us to insure that we're in the zero tax bracket.

define "rich"
The bar is a lot lower than it used to be :(.
Decades ago it meant someone that lived in a mansion and made his income from putting others to work.
Today it only means someone that is self-sufficient and can afford to pay enough taxes to support several other people :mad:.

Latest posts

Back