Thinking Out Loud

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greeneyes317

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I've had this jelly fish fabric for years. I've never been sure what to do with it. I've seen several patterns over the years that I thought might work, cause the pattern is so large. I bought McCall's Quilting May/June magazine and saw the Big Sky Country. It's a nice looking quilt, and I loved the colors. Then I realized the size of the blocks! The center squateis 22"!!! I only have a yard of each of the 4 colors so I would need to find more coordinating colors. Or check eBay/Etsy/Amazon for more of this Legacy Studio fabrics. Do y'all think it will be a good fit??
IMG_20180411_092343.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180411_092007.jpg
    IMG_20180411_092007.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
You'll have some of that 108'" fabric leftover? I think that would coordinate with it if you do. I love the pattern! In fact those are the exact colors I need to used in my next baby quilt. . . Blues, taupes, aqua and some yellows so you have given me ideas. They live at the beach so everything it the house are colors of the ocean.

I think you will have to be creative cutting the jellyfish without losing them, but even still you would get the wave effect if you use that fabric for something other than the center. I can't wait to see what you come up with. I think it will look beautiful!

@Dani I'm glad I was able to inspire you! This is such a pretty quilt, beach colors sound beautiful!!
I was also thinking my background fabric from my ribbon star would look great this!!! Ya know what they say, great minds go crazy together o_O I was hurting my brain last night adding yardage and trying to figure stuff out. This quilt is HUUUGGGEEEE! I know it said king size, I think it's floor length king! I noticed that in the pic. I only have a queen size bed now. I'm don't think I'll lose too many jellyfish. The center aqua square is 22"x 22". The center to the smaller star blocks are, I believe, 7 3/4"x 7 3/4". The plain almost squares are 14.5"x 15". These are all places I considered putting jellyfish. Just the top needs 14 1/2 yds of fabric :eyeballs: I have 4, I believe the ivory was 3 3/4 yards. If I can get that other yard of fabric from this line I found on Etsy, I'll still almost need 6 yards of matching colors, yikes!!! :eek: Thoughts of all this fabric is making my brain hurt, lol! I'm going to go get coffee, breakfast then go check on barn kitties that got neutered yesterday
:brewing: :coffee:

I just had to LOL at that last part!! You go check on kitties. . . I go out and love on goats. It's just therapeutic :). I probably spent hours trying to figure out what I thought would be my next project. But now trying to figure out baby quilt instead. I always have to transfer the design to graph paper first then count and add. It just makes my life easier. I hate math by the way especially when doing fractions ;).

I think your right on the jellyfish with the squares being as large as they are. Do you have any of your purple leftover from your jewel quilt - the quilt along I think it was. That may even be worked in with the shells fabric. Check your stash and maybe you won't have to buy so much extra. You can always make it to be queen sized instead of king. . . I did see where it was 105" x 105" finished. Instead of doing the 14 1/2 squares make them 12 1/2" for a queen?

I do have some purple and teal left from the peacock quilt! Just not much. I thought about trying to making it smaller, but if I change one block measurement then I have to change them all!!! Would it be equal reductions? I make the plain squares 2" smaller, do I make the cut for the no waste flying geese 2" smaller too? I like math, algebra math. Fractions and decimals are work, geometry, pshhh forgetaboutit lol.

I'm a bit worried about my stash! I moved here 3 years ago and I'm still in the just moved in phase! Between working 6/7 days and horses, 4H, sports, whatever I'm never home. Most my stash, 3 totes, is out in my shed. I pulled in the smallest tote the other day cause it had pony beads and some other stuff I was looking for. The bottom was cracked and a lot of the fabric was musty/moldy. I sorted thru all the fabric picking out the least moldy pieces for a vinegar bath. The last piece I handled was so dry rotted it tore in my hands. I went back and checked all the other fabric in various spots and they were all dry rotted. It was less then 8 yards of fabric, nothing I was overly attached to. Now I'm worried about my 2 big totes. Last time I pilfered thru them I didn't notice any mold. My she'd had a good roof so I thought it would be fine. I'm hoping maybe because it was cracked the stuff got ruined. As soon as I get my living room cleaned up I'll bring the other stuff in. I'm scared to look now

I would think you would have to make them all 2" smaller, but maybe a more experienced quilter could point you in the right direction there. The inner blocks would need to be 11" with a 10.5" done, right? ? I know that would throw me off! My heads already spinning with those calculations of cutting. Maybe I'm just thinking too hard on that and there is an easy solution. Fingers crossed for you if you decided to go in that direction.

Dani, I have to draw everything out on graph paper before I start too!!! And I check calculations - I have found mistakes in a couple patterns in the past!!!

Green Eyes - that is awful about your stash in the shed. I have found that a lot of the cheaper tubs from Walmart, like the Sterilite ones, don't last long before they start breaking down whether in dry conditions or not. Maybe they are made to be biodegradable??? I have lost stuff packed in them too. :( I also think going from hot (summer) to cold (winter) several times starts them breaking down also. I find the ones that I have in the house, at a pretty constant temp, last forever.

Latest posts

Back