This Site Becomes Ever-More Relevant

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The future is indeed frightening,

It always has been. It just seems more frightening now, because we read about how frightening it is on internet websites that are trying to frighten us, or have been caught up in things and are frightened themselves.

If you sit back and think to yourself, "If I hadn't seen this on the internet, would I be so frightened?" And the answer is "probably not". Things were probably equally as bad back in the 50's, 60's and 70's but we didn't have the internet back then to frighten us about them.

We all need to prep and try to be ready for difficult times - same as we always should have been doing - but IMHO there is a huge wave of fright right now that is affecting many people negatively. I'm not saying there is nothing to be frightened about. These is (and there always has been). But keep things in perspective. Are things really that much worse than they ever were before, or is it just the internet and mass media planting that thought in your brain, and your brain running away with it? There are so many bandwagons screeching down the streets these days, I'm having a hard time determining which one I should jump on. Then one of those bandwagons bites it in a ditch and all the people jump off grab onto the next bandwagon that's right behind them.

I say prepare, get supplies, make plans, get things in order - but try to take the "fright" out of it. But be warned, you will be accused of "normalcy bias" if you choose not to panic. That is the current insult du jour.

Nope but it was a good one. The one I mentioned was posted yesterday and she talks about the possibility of the internet shutting down, and when it goes back up, there would be new rules. It'd shut down because of a hack on all banks worldwide, with the blame being put on Iraq or Hamas, or whoever is the devil for the day. But being allowed to go back on would mean digital ID, ESG scores, digital dollar...a good time to agree to all of that. Her point being that if it goes down, don't get back on it.

. Hence the term PREPPERS - to prepare for what is coming.
There are members here who were prepping and being trained in prepping & survival for 70+ years. Prepping is actually still in a low interest period as compared to 1949 through1979.

In 1949 The Soviet Union detonated their first Atomic Bomb. Thanks to scum-American traders. That event created a much larger, and more serious prepping movement then currently exists.

There are members here who were prepping and being trained in prepping & survival for 70+ years. Prepping is actually still in a low interest period as compared to 1949 through1979.

In 1949 The Soviet Union detonated their first Atomic Bomb. Thanks to scum-American traders. That event created a much larger, and more serious prepping movement then currently exists.

A bunch of men worked daily jobs then came home and dug secret bunkers in basement or under garages with nothing but a shovel.Carried all dirt out in buckets and sacks and mixed and poured concrete by hand !!

Mine... i can drive my truck into it !

get ya a copy iffinya think ya need one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_War_Survival_Skills

1710548649741.png

I suspect prepping will gain steam here in the next year.

See my Signature line. It will not matter what people do.

"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."
........................William Shakespeare (1564-1616)

Last edited:
I'm still a leftover, cold-war, fallout shelter relic.
That stuff was drilled into my brain since I was young.
That's why I spend so much time in the Radiation section here.
I believed with nukes in Cuba, aimed at us, we were under a real threat.
Every shelter book talked about how to survive the downfall of our society.
I was never happier than when they took the "Fallout Shelter" signs off of every big brick building. :)
I was a 'prepper', long before it was cool.

I'm still a leftover, cold-war, fallout shelter relic.
That stuff was drilled into my brain since I was young.
That's why I spend so much time in the Radiation section here.
I believed with nukes in Cuba, aimed at us, we were under a real threat.
Every shelter book talked about how to survive the downfall of our society.
I was never happier than when they took the "Fallout Shelter" signs off of every big brick building. :)
I was a 'prepper', long before it was cool.
Grew up seeing those signs as well...all gone now as well as many of the buildings now...time gets everything.

See my Signature line. It will not matter what people do.

"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."
........................William Shakespeare (1564-1616)
Thanks ‘Dough. Now I have an urge to reread MacBeth and The Sound and Fury (or any Faulkner for that matter).

That Shakespeare quote really sums it up. Humans are an insignificant blip on the Earth’s timeline.

Grew up seeing those signs as well...all gone now as well as many of the buildings now...time gets everything.
I live about a quarter mile from my high school. It still has that sign up. I’ve seen that fallout shelter in the school. I don’t think too many people can fit into it.

Last edited:
Given what I am seeing in the news over the past decade, and particularly in the past several years, I'm convinced this country is in an inevitable collapse.

It seems as if it is becoming the norm now, to eliminate your opponents by any means necessary, up to and including killing.

From what they've done to Trump and all his associates, to Epstein, to Seth Rich, to the Boeing whistleblower ... to the nearly inevitable collapse of our economy. It appears that there are no longer any rules or laws that cannot be violated or broken, with no consequences if one is a member of the ruling liberal elite. Woke ideology has replaced merit in nearly every corner of our lives, with the inevitable consequences (Global Climate Change, DEI, ESG, LGBTQ, etc.). Schools no longer teach, and have even now evolved to the point where passing grades are guaranteed, or completely eliminated, thus ensuring unqualified students move on to the next grade. The majority of young people cannot read, write, do math, or think logically. And these are the people who will run our country, fill the ranks of engineers, scientists, doctors, pilots, corporate heads, etc.

I think we are witnessing the final slide to collapse, and this site is uniquely poised to offer some semblance of assistance for survival during and after the crash. The only question is how long it will take.

The future is indeed frightening,
I am sure that a good number of people here -- given the belief set in prepper and survivalist fora -- have read Steven Marche or are at least familiar with his opus on the "upcoming" civil war.

It does make good reading and Marche makes some sensible points in his extrapolations, but remember: his prognostications are based on exciting but fictional scenarios. Further, I think one consideration we (and Marche) overlook is that, unlike previous civil strife, our differences in the United States are not necessarily based on any single thing like geography (US Civil War) religion (the Irish "Troubles"), race (the last days of Apartheid in South Africa), etc.

So how would this upheaval happen? Since there isn't any single driving force to unite disparate groups to a single cause or the ability for any major political group to engage in asymmetrical warfare, I believe a far more likely scenario will be small scale hit-and-run, lone-wolf terrorist attacks.

But even something as limited as a Timothy Veigh-type attack is quickly met with an army of FBI, BATFE, and other power structures who manage to eliminate any group of organized resistance, e.g., "Aryan Nations", "Boogaloo Bois", etc.

But! These groups, including some "Black Lives Matter" splinter groups, are able to communicate their message and influence those same lone-wolf partisans to a bit more direct action -- even if those groups are not. And, of course, those political rivals have the firearms and (some) training in asymmetrical warfare to do real damage, whether by direct assassination or sabotage, to the central and local governments, tend to be the more right-wing/christian nationalist/populist types, often with nothing to lose (which problem, by itself, could be three pages of posts). We have Met the Enemy and He is Us.

If you haven't heard of, or read, Stephen Marche, you might want to check it out. It's pretty disturbing, but not necessarily the way you'd expect.

Latest posts

Back