Tipping

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am generally a 20% tipper that fluctuates up or down depending on the the service, not necessarily the food. In fact I have left a great tip for a server who steered me away from something or towards the really good choice. That being said I have had more and more mediocre meals and service in the past 2 years.
WOW! With all the lose of work from C-19, I have found that a lot of cooks & wait staff are trying even more to get it right.
II drink a lot of tea, even more when I am waiting for food & the waiter always says sorry when they see my glass is empty.
Most of the time it just got empty, I can drink melted ice, the fuller the restaurant the harder it is to get a third glass of tea.
Most time these day the staff is short people, that not ideal, nor is it my waiter fault.
I have had bad service once this year & we go out 4-8 times a month.

TIP = To insure Promptness.
It used to be paid before the meal was ordered but that was before hired help. You were paying the owner and if the food was not up to par or the service was delayed then the tip covered the bill.

The women sitting next to us were real witches and their kids left a mess. They told each other the server didn't deserve a tip because she didn't treat them like they thought they should be treated.

What a nice lesson to teach your kid. I don't get people like that, what is the point? Geez, we always taught our younguns to look at the server and speak up in a nice clear voice when they ask what you want, we also taught them please and thank you. Don't make a huge mess, we don't allow it at home. We do the same thing now with the grands.

I leave a decent tip if the waiter/waitress does a good job. If the food is an issue and they still did a good job, I still leave a tip. If it's food related it's a management issue and not a server issue..

I don't get people, I guess that's why we are so content to just sit at home and hang out with the dogs, lol.

Tip for sure based on service. We left a penny one time. Supposed to be the ultimate insult. Our service was bad bad.
Yes, if leave no tip, they may think you forgot, but if you leave a penny or two pennies, you remembered & made a statement.

I hate to say it but I think twice in my life I left a penny.
They really have to be terrible to get my $0.02 tip. Leave nothing the think you are cheap. Leave two cents and the message gets sent. Like you I've done that twice. When they do really well I let my wife leave the tip as I know she tips better than I. 20% is normal but it can go up, or down.

I do the same for military service members.
We do that with the military too. Every Thanksgiving we give 20 $50 gift certificates to a local Sgt. Major to be passed to soldiers in need.

Having been a bartender in my mis-spent youth, I'm pretty religious about tipping. If I order drinks, the bartender gets a buck per drink. At a restaurant the waitress always gets 15%, minimum. 20% for being good, 25% for being great. The only deviation from that is if she's rude, or I catch the waitress on her phone when she should be working. I can't stand a 20 year old who won't leave the phone alone long enough to refill my soda. Put the damn thing down and do your freakin' job.

I don't whip out my phone and calculate tips though. If my bill is $19.36, I'm not figuring it out to the penny. Come on, people. Just put 4 or 5 bucks on the table and leave...

Having been a bartender in my mis-spent youth, I'm pretty religious about tipping. If I order drinks, the bartender gets a buck per drink. At a restaurant the waitress always gets 15%, minimum. 20% for being good, 25% for being great. The only deviation from that is if she's rude, or I catch the waitress on her phone when she should be working. I can't stand a 20 year old who won't leave the phone alone long enough to refill my soda. Put the damn thing down and do your freakin' job.

I don't whip out my phone and calculate tips though. If my bill is $19.36, I'm not figuring it out to the penny. Come on, people. Just put 4 or 5 bucks on the table and leave...
I was a designated driver, coke was two dollars & the bartended tells me to come to him for refills & he will comp them. I put $1.00 in the tip jar each time.

But, is a tip expected for orders that you placed on the phone or the internet? All of the service you get is from a person handing you a bag.
They are always working on ways to get tips. Food to go is not a tip from me. I don't tip when I drive through a fast food place, but it seems with the way things are moving, that will be next!

Good service gets a good tip, crappy service gets nothing.
They remember good tippers, you should see the mountain of food I get at the BBQ shack as
opposed to regular customers!

I know of more than one Asian restaurant where the restaurant owners thought they were entitled to all of the tips. I was told by a former employee about a particular restaurant whom the owners son was my student where the owners thought the tips should be theirs. Later, the mother told me they had a really hard time keeping employees. I said nothing, but thought they got what they deserved in that.

There is a really good Thai restaurant, rated the highest Thai restaurant in the area, where a friend of my daughter's worked. Owner kept all of the tips. I was outraged. I said to daughter that I wasn't going to leave tips in that place. Daughter said this would reflect on the waitress, to the owner. I don't care if it is the best Thai restaurant in the area, I refuse to eat there. That solves my dilemma. There is another Thai restaurant that is excellent half a mile from there.

Last edited:

The "I Agree" meme just wasn't enough. I SOOOO agree. I tended bar for 17 years in college and after as a second job while raising my family. The bartender always gets at least $5.00 even for 1-2 drinks; more if we are there longer.

I am very generous with the wait staff even when they probably don't deserve it. Places we frequent where we have the same server we know well enough we will ask if tips are pooled or individual. If they are pooled we will put 15-20% on the check, and another $5.00-$10.00 in cash specifically for that server.

I have a very good friend who penny pinches when it is time to leave a tip. I will shame him every time he does it. "Take the tax off the bill before you figure the tip. I'm not tipping on the tax." Anybody else had to deal with that? We have evolved into just getting separate checks. It's not like he can't afford it.

If I was managing and saw someone on a phone, I would use it for a golf tee. That lights me up like a Christmas tree. Leave the phone in the car. If you have an emergency they know where you work. We will find you. Again, I so agree. Do your doggone job,

Back