Tips And Tactics For Whitetails?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosquitomountainman

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
One of the best ways to stop a running whitetail is to blow on a grunt tube. It almost always works once but you have to be ready to shoot because the deer will only stand for a second or two. It seldom works a second time except during the rut. Works on both does and bucks. My biggest problem is that they always seem to have a tree between us when they stop. I normally hunt in thick pine forests ... lots of trees!

I called one buck back four times once. The rut was on and I had tags for a doe and a buck. Shot the doe first then called the buck back with a grunt on the tube. Had that happen four times before I got him. It was 20 below and the oil on the firing pin dampened it enough that the gun didn't fire. Each time it "clicked" he took off but came back after I used the grunt call. Had to reload once then got him with the fourth try.

Nice, I did not even know what a grunt tube was.

I am in much flatter and much more wide open terrain than you. Sometimes the best tactic (in my experience) is to sit still between tree groves or runs/ruts/ravines and let the over eager and noisy hunters run them right to you. Three years in a row I filled my tag within 150 yards of my vehicle that way. I would have them dressed and in the truck before any hunters would even appear, if I ever saw them. Of course safety is paramount so I make sure to have a clear line of fire.

It was 20 below and the oil on the firing pin dampened it enough that the gun didn't fire

I did work on firearms for years and one thing I almost always found was an over oiled firing pin/bolt,not all but most people try to take care of their guns and oil has always been part of it, the problem is gravity what starts in the barrel ends up in the bolt or action and sometimes even the stock(not good)when hunting in real cold weather or working in the same oil can get you killed ! most of the time I tell folks to store rifles and shotguns barrel down if they use lots of oil if they can it helps.For a hunting firearm some of the new dry lubes work great after all your not going to wear it out firing a few rounds and they also don't attract dirt also a plus,for guns that I know will see many rounds at a time and get hot I go with a high temp synthetic oil/grease on high wear parts then clean up after done shooting followed by dry lube before storage :)

If you don't have a grunt tube or it's not readily available, just whistle. It'll get the deer's attention and have them pause for a couple seconds to look around for the source.

You can't call them back like MMM noted but it may give you a shot when they pause.

I just go PSST,works every time on deer and most of the time on waitresses in dinners :D

If I need them to stop I just give a yell. They always immediately stop and look around.

Biggest thing is figuring out when they will move when its light enough to shoot. The rut is always good for them moving in daylight, a 10 degree or greater temperature drop, no moon, no wind, and heavy rain during the night before morning seems to effect that in my area. The more of those factors the better.

In the past couple years Ive seeen more and more activity between 930-1115am when still hunting in my area. Used to see much more activity at daybreak and dusk but now I tend to get more sleep and start a little later. I like to stalk in the eary afternoons through the swamps or bedding areas where its feasible Ill get a decent shot when I kick em up. Have a problem with cold wet condition stalking footwear though. When hog hunting in warmer weather I like those finger toe shoes. Wish I could find some finger toe knee high waterproof gortex socks to go with them so I can avoid submersing in nasty swamp water those vile creatures wallow in. Cant find any. They would be great for deer stalking in winter too. Taking a sewing class with my wife today. Maybe Ill be able to make some that dont have seams that will blister me up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big fan of the Irish Setter brand of boots for hunting.
http://www.irishsetterboots.com/USD/hunting-boots

Mine are an older model but here's the ones I use.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QLHFAW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I wouldn't buy online as their sizing is a little off so you need to try them on.

Irish setter makes a fine boot. Too thick soled for stalking imo though. I dont live in a rocky area and its hard to move quiet through these parts, especially in fall. Its hard to sneak up on a wild animal. Those finger toe shoes work real well for me and they are real light weight so I can keep them in my pack and transfer from my swamp boots when I need to. The gortex socks as I described would be pretty useful. Wouldnt even have to bring my boots on occasion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed also that deer often move around in the middle of the day. I also noticed that that's also my preferred time to be out hunting them! It's too cold early in the morning and I hate shooting one in the evening because they can be hard to track in the dark.
I get in the stand at least an hour before daylight, and leave when it gets to dark to see. You won't see one while sitting in a resteraunt or going home for lunch!

I get in the stand at least an hour before daylight, and leave when it gets to dark to see. You won't see one while sitting in a resteraunt or going home for lunch!

I don't do well stand hunting anymore. Almost all of mine is still hunting. I do have a couple of stands on our place but seldom occupy them over two or three hours at a stretch.

Back when we lived in town my hunting days were long and still are on occasions when after elk or bear but deer and turkeys around here are plentiful and it's not difficult to fill a tag. I don't go for antlers anymore. We prefer a young buck or doe for best eating.

I don't do well stand hunting anymore. Almost all of mine is still hunting. I do have a couple of stands on our place but seldom occupy them over two or three hours at a stretch.

Back when we lived in town my hunting days were long and still are on occasions when after elk or bear but deer and turkeys around here are plentiful and it's not difficult to fill a tag. I don't go for antlers anymore. We prefer a young buck or doe for best eating.
I never did go for antlers,you can't eat them very easily ;D. Out of all the deer I've gotten in the 30+ years only 2 had antlers. But the 1st one was a decent 8 pointer that's hanging on the wall and the other happened to be a monster 12 pointer that's still at the taxidermist,just a bonus and a reminder of the hunts is all,I prefer the young ones too.

Latest posts

Back