Today I filled my SUV with 6 year old gasoline!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
(I cant find the Transportation forum in the forums index anymore, so am posting here)

What, is he crazy?

Bear with me:

I had it stored in a hermetically sealed high end jerry Can ( the real NATO spec Wavian )
So no light fractions could escape.
https://www.roverparts.com/off-road-accessories/jerry-cans/GJC20/
I filled it with ethanol free high octane fuel and topped it off with a double dose of stabilizer, then closed it and did not open it again.
This was anywhere from 5 to 7 years ago.
Call it 6 years.
So today I put that fuel from that jerry Can into my Nissan, (to be able to refill it with fresher fuel and also) I was curious how it had held up as I have 6 more cans just like this one ( albeit with much fresher fuel).
I drove it hard up the interstate ramp and kept it at 75-80mph for about 12 miles until the next exit.
On the return leg absolutely floored it on the on ramp.

The outcome:

- No sour smell when pouring, smelled like normal gasoline
- No check engine lights of any kind, no hestitation.
- Car drove/revved/accelerated normally.

The test limitation:

- This was not on an empty fuel tank. I estimate the 5 gallons mixed with another 5 gallons still in the car, so it was diluted making the test less valid.
On the other hand when using old fuel from a can in an emergency, more often than not, it will also mix with at least some prexisting fuel in the tank..
- This engine, the VQ40DE is rated for 87 Octane, the non-ethanol fuel I had stored was at least midrange. Stored fuel often loses Octane over time and one of the most common problems with old fuels is pinging and/or knock sensor SES lights.
So since the fuel was above the spec to begin with prior to storage ,it is not a full test on how small the decay the Octane has seen.

Last edited:
I kinda wonder why the producers of the series, "The Walking Dead," think we're gullible enough to believe that the unstabilized, unsealed gasoline, that is robbed from parked cars, can still be used after 10 years of the zombie apocalypse. I don't believe it! (I do believe in zombies, tho.)

Last edited:
I do this quite often when getting rid of the rotten fuel in my boat. It holds 55 gallons, so I will siphon out 5 gallons at a time and toss it in my cars with fresh gas, and never had an issue. I am currently refilling my 25 gallons of emergency gas with fresh gas, and will just dump a 5 gallon jug into my fuel when I can, and will refill them once they are empty.

"Be prepared!"

Back in another, almost forgotten, site a member had stored gasoline in an old propane tank for like 10 years. The time may be off but the idea is right. The fuel was fine. The sealed steel container kept the volatiles from dissipating. They will eventually work through plastic.

Back at home I have a 55 gallon drum, which I figure will last a long time. Several 15 gallon very heavy plastic containers, which will last longer than my regular plastic jerry jugs.

Converted my generator to LP. Debating doing the with Kawasaki mule. No concerns about gasoline going sour.
I'd be really interested in how that works with your mule. We've got a 4010trans that gets worked hard when we are at the homestead, but over the winter doesn't get much use (save for the occasional pushing of snow, which the last three years hasn't been much). Not having to worry about the gasoline going stale over the winter months would be nice.

I know a generator will lose about 20% of its power by switching from gas to LPG. If you have a proper sized generator now, and convert it, you may need to bump up a size by converting. I wonder how this will affect a Mule?
Propane has less energy than gasoline. Gasoline has less energy than diesel. Conversion means more fuel or less power. How often are you running at full throttle? I may put my foot on the floor but when I get to the desired speed I back off.

Here is one place to get conversion kits.
http://www.uscarburetion.com/type_4.htm

Latest posts

Back