Tornadic weather

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tornado warning for the county just west of me. Lots of open space out there, hope it fizzles out quickly! A morning to keep an eye on the weather in north Texas.
I've lived in tornado country my whole life. I quit worrying about it years ago. Sure, I'll get to cover if the siren goes off. But if a tornado gets me, then I figure God says it's my time to go.

I'm right with you, Spikedriver. We have been through a few. If the sirens go off we will head for the basement, but one came dangerously close. A neighbor filmed it with his phone. No siren. No green sky. No freight train sound. It just swooped down and passed through. If it hits it is my time to go.

Vermont is not tornado country - they are rare here. Wondering if climate change will change that too.
All you have to do is put $40,000 worth of solar panels on your roof and you can save the planet and yourself at the same time :thumbs:.
Greta told me that.
nod.gif

Don't let this picture change your mind:
severe-tornado-damage-and-destruction-footage-068681626_prevstill.jpeg

Everything will be just fine! 🤪
(and ignore the two crushed vehicles. They're insured!)

Last edited:
All you have to do is put $40,000 worth of solar panels on your roof and you can save the planet and yourself at the same time :thumbs:.
Greta told me that.View attachment 64783

Looks like most of the panels are OK - good to be put on another roof.

Tornado warning for the county just west of me. Lots of open space out there, hope it fizzles out quickly! A morning to keep an eye on the weather in north Texas.

Be careful keep watch.

I've lived in tornado country my whole life. I quit worrying about it years ago. Sure, I'll get to cover if the siren goes off. But if a tornado gets me, then I figure God says it's my time to go.

Spike I want to be sure God wants me to go and its not me ignoring danger,lol.so be careful. Tornado gets close to me and I'm praying,laying low and shaking.:ghostly:

Greta told me that.View attachment 64783

Ok you guys I ain't galling for it this time,;)Back to tornados.

Spike I want to be sure God wants me to go and its not me ignoring danger,lol.so be careful. Tornado gets close to me and I'm praying,laying low and shaking.:ghostly:
I'm not going to go stand outside on purpose and look for it. But if I sleep through the sirens and the tornado gets me, so be it. My apartment actually doesn't have any room that would be "tornado safe". But the town ordinance requires the city police to unlock the middle school (3 blocks away) and let in any resident who wants to shelter there. I've here almost 5 years and I've gone there once...

I'm not going to go stand outside on purpose and look for it. But if I sleep through the sirens and the tornado gets me, so be it. My apartment actually doesn't have any room that would be "tornado safe". But the town ordinance requires the city police to unlock the middle school (3 blocks away) and let in any resident who wants to shelter there. I've here almost 5 years and I've gone there once...

See God gave you a safe haven and you ignore it.Just be safe Spike. Our weather is crazy now a days.

See God gave you a safe haven and you ignore it.Just be safe Spike. Our weather is crazy now a days.
There have only been two weather episodes severe enough to warrant going to the school. One was an early evening tornado warning that I had been monitoring via the TV. I went to the school that time, but the tornado went several mile south and there wasn't any real danger. Interestingly, the school janitor and I were the only ones who sheltered there. Nobody even came from the trailer park in town. The other was last year's derecho, which I was completely unaware of until it hit.

There have only been two weather episodes severe enough to warrant going to the school. One was an early evening tornado warning that I had been monitoring via the TV. I went to the school that time, but the tornado went several mile south and there wasn't any real danger. Interestingly, the school janitor and I were the only ones who sheltered there. Nobody even came from the trailer park in town. The other was last year's derecho, which I was completely unaware of until it hit.

I understand what your saying I'm just kidding with you basically. I don't run to the shelter when we have bad hurricanes either.Haven't had one here in years though. Did go there once about 15 yr ago.High school almost lost its roof.Hundreds of people were in that gymnasium on Red Cross cots.

No sirens for us. 11 miles from town. If power out we have little warning. Husband does have a weather band radio. In truck probably. I have a crank radio but don't think it is a weather band. Another thing I need!

Ok, Let's say these are your homes. (this is several in Clanton AL.)
Please draw an arrow pointing to your "safe place".
01southsevere3.17.21.jpg

I need to learn.

Last edited:
Ok, Let's say these are your homes. (this is several)
01southsevere3.17.21.jpg

I need to learn.

This is Florida and schools are built fairly strong because of so many hurricans,but the roof was flapping like it was about to go that time we went to it.. Tornados are usually more powerful than hurricane and more often.
But some can do major damage,

SuperV,you'v had your share of hurricanes too,remember Katrina?
Ok you guys I ain't galling for it this time,;)Back to tornados.
I thought we had to talk about tornados!
brickwall100.gif

I missed Katrina but was here for Andrew. It wiped entire cities like Empire off of the map.
(notice how far the ocean is in the distance).
empire-louisiana-d3ad6806-f755-443e-a2a1-9768af13bb7-resize-750.jpeg

(the pickup truck is good for scale)
Now back to tornados!

Last edited:
I thought we had to talk about tornados!View attachment 64871
I missed Katrina but was here for Andrew. It wiped entire cities like Empire off of the map.
(notice how far the ocean is in the distance).
empire-louisiana-d3ad6806-f755-443e-a2a1-9768af13bb7-resize-750.jpeg

Now back to tornados!

Thanks for reminding me.Tornados it is, I sure hope me saying we don't get many 'tornados' down here isn't asking for it.:eek:.

Ok, Let's say these are your homes. (this is several in Clanton AL.)
01southsevere3.17.21.jpg

I need to learn.
Those buildings don't appear to have basements. Underground is the safe place. Basement rooms without windows, like a bathroom or furnace room, are generally a good bet. Any rooms above ground won't give much protection, unless your structure is built extremely heavy. I've seen concrete structures with steel truss and concrete roofs come through a direct tornado strike in pretty good shape.

My town's tornado shelter is actually a cold war fallout shelter beneath the middle school gym. Short of a missile silo, it's probably the safest tornado shelter you could possibly find...

Latest posts

Back