Tractors

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We keep a couple of Kabotas on the place. I rebuilt several As and Bs when I was younger, you can’t do much with them in this area but I just love to hear them pop!

IMG_3195.png
IMG_3196.png
IMG_3197.png

How about BP and me jump-starting a thread that has been dead for over 5 years?:dancing:
On topic: The JD model R.
The father of the JD820:
0415H1-2661A-1540x800.jpg

If you thought the model A had big lungs, the model R had 415 cubic inches in 2 jugs!:oops:
...His son the 820, an unbelievable 470 cubic inches!!!:eyeballs:
(Feel free to throw the TMI flag if needed:rolleyes:)

Here is a 1950 G Model JD. One step up from the A.

View attachment 128744
With 412 cubic inches, the model G was no slacker!
The tractor was equipped with a two-cylinder side-by-side 34-horsepower (25 kW) engine, of 412.5-cubic-inch (6,760 cm3) displacement. Both gasoline and kerosene-fueled versions were available. About 64,000 Model Gs were built at the John Deere factory in Waterloo, Iowa.
Kerosene? :oops:

How about BP and me jump-starting a thread that has been dead for over 5 years?:dancing:
On topic: The JD model R.
The father of the JD820:
0415H1-2661A-1540x800.jpg

If you thought the model A had big lungs, the model R had 415 cubic inches in 2 jugs!:oops:
...His son the 820, an unbelievable 470 cubic inches!!!:eyeballs:
(Feel free to throw the TMI flag if needed:rolleyes:)
And there forebearer the D started out at 465 ci, and grew to 501 at the end of production,

They do need to be told they made a bad decision in their life. Living on top of another is never a good idea.
Aw c'mon now, you got a pretty tractor, post some pictures of it. :)

When I was an early teen, my dad and grandpa come home with a bunch more grazing and small grain land.. Also 2 new John Deere 830s... In my head I can still hear that you could hear them pop, pop all around the countryside sometimes 24 hours a day it seemed.. I also spent more time at the wheel herding one of them across the fields.. Some argue I spent too much time too close to all that ...pop, pop... noise .. 🤪 🤪

When I lived on the lake place, the township had a park with ball fields, picnic area, and tractor pull track.. There was a young woman there that had a nicely restored International C ? or H ? that was painted pink... She always did well in her pulling class..

Johnny Poppers get the job done when they are loaded it is like a heart or drum beat make a turn at the end of the row and it speeds up for just a bit as you straighten out.

The smaller 420s, 430s. 40s >>>>> with a lift on them are the best thing around for disking, and plowing hit the end of the row pull up the disk or breaker hit the brake it will spin right there and you drop it right back in.

Cuz had an MD IT was a FARMALL started on gas and then ran on diesel, that was a heavy tractor, He got it stuck at the edge of his pond and My 1 ton 4wd boom truck wouldn't pull it out, Took a backhoe to sit on the front bucket, and stabilizers to get it.

That was the only one of those tractors I had ever seen.

Last edited:
Johnny Poppers get the job done when they are loaded it is like a heart or drum beat make a turn at the end of the row and it speeds up for just a bit as you straighten out.

The smaller 420s, 430s. 40s >>>>> with a lift on them are the best thing around for disking, and plowing hit the end of the row pull up the disk or breaker hit the brake it will spin right there and you drop it right back in.
I loved mowing hay with our old B. With the separate brakes you could easily make a 90 degree turn and never miss a beat. Of course when we upgraded to the Duetz and got disk mower, we were running at least 3 times faster and never clogging the cycle bar.

Last edited:
What I hated about the clippers was the cycle arm and the pins in them, If they ever got the least bit loose once, you would have to get off and tighten them all the time.

The disk mowers made the job much better a good workover before or right after the season does it most of the time for the year unless you have rough ground.

I have a woods bushog I can run over the field fast and cut the grass down to use for square bales, it dies not do well for rounds though because of the way it packs.

I don't like square balers because of the needle timers.

What's your favorite tractor implement/attachment?
I have several implements (logging winch, box blade, scraper blade, rototiller, pallet forks...) but IMHO, the FEL (Front End Loader) is the best, most useful.
If you have a FEL, a toothbar is a real force multiplier. Wow, it'll make digging and such so much faster. I'm a fan of the piranha tooth bar brand.

What's your favorite tractor implement/attachment?
I have several implements (logging winch, box blade, scraper blade, rototiller, pallet forks...) but IMHO, the FEL (Front End Loader) is the best, most useful.
If you have a FEL, a toothbar is a real force multiplier. Wow, it'll make digging and such so much faster. I'm a fan of the piranha tooth bar brand.
For us, it was the 'grain-drill' (also called a seed-drill). No plowing or discing, just plant next year's stuff :thumbs:.
https://www.goodworkstractors.com/product/no-till-seed-drill-for-food-plots-genesis/
Genesis-No-Till-Drill-in-Plot.jpg

With the Genesis, there really is no need to rototill, disc, plow, or cultivate at all prior to seeding. Instead this attachment penetrates even hard ground and plants your seed at the proper depth with no need to make a pass after planting. It’s an all-in-one planting solution available in four nominal widths—3′, 5′, 8′, and 10′.

you can bush hog with a 2 Cylinder, you just have to be creative. and this old trooper will burn some nasty fuel, old gas, diesel that people are scared to run in their modern nightmares (mixed with a bit of gas) , And sound cool doing it.
004.jpg

you can bush hog with a 2 Cylinder, you just have to be creative. and this old trooper will burn some nasty fuel, old gas, diesel that people are scared to run in their modern nightmares (mixed with a bit of gas) , And sound cool doing it. View attachment 129195
Yep They'll do a lot of work. Down side with ours, we didn't have 3pt hitch.

Last edited:
Yep They'll do a lot of work. Down side with ours, we didn't have 3pt hitch.
this one doesn't either, just my channel and jack adapter, and of course an overrunning clutch on the pto.

Latest posts

Back