Train Your Brain to Remember Almost Anything

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
This may actually be amusing for some of us, but it may help some of us as well. The article is a little awkward to cut and paste, so I just posted the four technique headings.

Spaced repetition is something that works with children. A child who struggles with learning to read who has a few opportunities spread out through a day has a better chance or remembering and putting those skill to memory, than a child who only reads once a day, or less.

For older folks, like many of us, meeting someone, spending a brief amount of time with them, and then not seeing them for months is where our memory can fail.

https://elemental.medium.com/how-to-train-your-brain-to-remember-almost-anything-77cb653a0c04

Four techniques for storing knowledge you might otherwise forget:

Spaced repetition

The 50/50 rule

Topic demonstrations

Sleep

We actually do enhanced memory training at the police academy and offer it again every few years as advanced training. You might be surprised at how well it works. You can train your brain to perform better the same way you can train to shoot better.

My wife hates it and claims my head is filled with things I was suppose to forget.

We actually do enhanced memory training at the police academy and offer it again every few years as advanced training. You might be surprised at how well it works. You can train your brain to perform better the same way you can train to shoot better.

My wife hates it and claims my head is filled with things I was suppose to forget.
I use certain techniques to help me remember things. At Thanksgiving, my daughter asked me to go home and bring back w, X, y and z. If I had been home, I would have written it down on a note pad. I also could have recorded in my phone, or typed it into a note. I said the items out loud, to confirm what she needed. Then I put them in alphabetical order, said them aloud again. I use the first letter of the item and say that as well. D, F, M. Then said the letters in alphabetical order and then name of the item again. I do this when I am making a quick trip to the store.

I use certain techniques to help me remember things. At Thanksgiving, my daughter asked me to go home and bring back w, X, y and z. If I had been home, I would have written it down on a note pad. I also could have recorded in my phone, or typed it into a note. I said the items out loud, to confirm what she needed. Then I put them in alphabetical order, said them aloud again. Then said them again. I do this when I am making a quick trip to the store.

I do cross word puzzles and study now and then. But at my age if I'm not interested in it I can'tconcentrate on it long enough to learn much. Of course some things are better left alone 'politics'.

I do cross word puzzles and study now and then. But at my age if I'm not interested in it I can'tconcentrate on it long enough to learn much. Of course some things are better left alone 'politics'.
Our interests and abilities do change with age. When I hear about raising the retirement age, I know that it is an impossibility for most people at a certain age to work, especially in certain fields. I know that commercial pilots are required to retire at 60. I have known teachers who were 70 and still teaching! I personally realized I was exhausted and could never be teaching now! I could not do it any more. Maybe some people still want the paycheck, but know they can't give it what they used to, so keep on until they are let go.

I have a hard time pulling up words and phrases. I was trying to think of "Make my day" the other day. I could visualize someone at the front door trying to get in or to do harm, but could not think of that terminology. Sometimes it takes me a minute or two, an hour or two, or days to come up with terms. I don't quite know how to train my brain to come up with terminology that I haven't heard or used in years.

I bet it is. But I still prefer it when my waiters and waitresses write my order down. ;)

LOL I just mean getting the food and drinks back to the right table in a good time frame! I always wrote everything down which helps memory too, for me.

I know that commercial pilots are required to retire at 60. I have known teachers who were 70 and still teaching!

That might be because of a teacher falls asleep in class her classroom does not crash into a field or mountain range. ;)

My father in law was forced into retirement from United when he turned 60. He had WAY more than enough money to just be done working. But like many pilots, he just turned to teaching / testing other pilots and working in the administration of an airline for 5 more years before retiring again.

Our interests and abilities do change with age. When I hear about raising the retirement age, I know that it is an impossibility for most people at a certain age to work, especially in certain fields. I know that commercial pilots are required to retire at 60. I have known teachers who were 70 and still teaching! I personally realized I was exhausted and could never be teaching now! I could not do it any more. Maybe some people still want the paycheck, but know they can't give it what they used to, so keep on until they are let go.

I have a hard time pulling up words and phrases. I was trying to think of "Make my day" the other day. I could visualize someone at the front door trying to get in or to do harm, but could not think of that terminology. Sometimes it takes me a minute or two, an hour or two, or days to come up with terms. I don't quite know how to train my brain to come up with terminology that I haven't heard or used in years.

They want to raise retirement age so they can keep more money in the coffers to steal. Then say sorry schucks who paid into it all work life no more money for you infidel gringo's.

That might be because of a teacher falls asleep in class her classroom does not crash into a field or mountain range. ;)

My father in law was forced into retirement from United when he turned 60. He had WAY more than enough money to just be done working. But like many pilots, he just turned to teaching / testing other pilots and working in the administration of an airline for 5 more years before retiring again.
There was a substitute at work one day. My classroom was not far from the office and I made a quick trip there, while assistant was with the children. There in the hallway was substitute sitting on the floor, legs crossed, head down, maybe passed out. I don't remember. She never subbed in our school again.

Latest posts

Back