Training Guardian Dogs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Pyrenees is one instant breed I can think of. I'll bet there are others but that's the only one I've had personal experience with.

My three were great once out of the puppy stage and convincing Alf my Guineas were part of the flock.

My three are lab mix that I still have two of. Alf is the one we lost three years ago to cancer.

The pyr was a friend of mine's dog. Jack was awesome when it came to keeping predators at bay. And he didn't train him, he just did it.

Our dogs are all mixed breeds and they protected our chickens. One when she was a puppy would chase them she is part sheltie and part wielermaynor 'spl? but after a few angry commands she was fine and protected instead of chased.
Our other dog was given to us by vet her greyhound mother got with some blue tic hound or something. She is the smartest dog I've ever had and that is saying something. She protected chickens too. I think it is all in the training .

What ever breed you decide on I would suggest that you that deal with a person that has working dogs. Don't be fooled by the breeder of champion show dogs. Ribbons and trophies don't mean squat in a real life situation. If you get a puppy ask to see the parents in action. If you get an adult ask to see it in action. Research the breed standard but keep in mind that some dogs won't live up to that standard. To increase the likelihood of getting you what you want/need. Please deal with someone that has working dogs.

What ever breed you decide on I would suggest that you that deal with a person that has working dogs. Don't be fooled by the breeder of champion show dogs. Ribbons and trophies don't mean squat in a real life situation. If you get a puppy ask to see the parents in action. If you get an adult ask to see it in action. Research the breed standard but keep in mind that some dogs won't live up to that standard. To increase the likelihood of getting you what you want/need. Please deal with someone that has working dogs.

Good advice.

• Really Alwaysready is dead on. You want working dog lines if they are going to be around any animals. Honestly i only get dogs from working lines. I think the akc should be nuked for destroying almost every breed out there. Akc in my book equals crap! Granted there are exceptions but i find them few and far between. Next summer we will be getting our new goat gaurd, anatolian shepherd/ great pyrenees/ neapolitan mastiff mix. Are you just looking for a pet that will not kill your chickens or are you planing on using it as a guard dog? Is it going to live in the house or in the barn? Are you looking for a dog that will be everyone's friend or a guard?

Redbeard, we're just looking for one that will protect our chickens and run coyotes off. We don't have any other livestock. We're older and just want one to help keep our birds alive. She'll be an outside dog if we can possibly help it. We have 2 little dogs though that stay inside at night. That's because we don't want coyotes to eat one of them. She can be friends but also recognize someone who's a stranger.

Then in my opinion a great Pyrenees is a good call. Be it a goat or chicken you will be happy with that breed. But one dog is usually no challenge for a pack of coyotes. Coyotes will lure a dog into the woods to kill it. For coyote protection a team is best.

We have only seen one coyote on our trail can. Hopefully, that's all. We've been unsuccessful at catching it with foot traps. We'll be out and watching both. She won't be alone unless inside the yard were she'll be safe.

Redbeard, we're just looking for one that will protect our chickens and run coyotes off. We don't have any other livestock. We're older and just want one to help keep our birds alive. She'll be an outside dog if we can possibly help it. We have 2 little dogs though that stay inside at night. That's because we don't want coyotes to eat one of them. She can be friends but also recognize someone who's a stranger.

If the dog must deal with coyotes it needs to be capable. If not the dog will end up eaten just like the birds. Red beard is correct the will lure out number and kill a dog. Not trying to sound negative just trying to give the best advice I have. Best of luck what ever you decided.

Ya they are pack critters. You may only see one on your cam but the pack is near by. When i was 14 i lost my favorite dog to those garbage coyotes. Now i bait them and shoot them when i know they are around. That year i lost my dog was the year i got the most. Something like 35 of them. Got to the point my dad stepped in and told me to take a break because my obsession was getting unhealthy. I told him ya unhealthy for the coyotes. He was right i went a little off the deep end. Point is they will kill your dog to get to food if they are hungry enough. The single coyote you are seeing is most likely the scout. Trust me the pack isn't far. Sounds like you have good fencing to keep the dog behind so that will help. Way less chance of the dog getting ambushed. Post some pics of the pup when you go see it?

Yeah, someone is awake!! I think the coyotes numbers depend on the local game. In South Texas we usually saw singles and pairs. Up here every picture on our game camera has shown at least 4.

Yeah, someone is awake!! I think the coyotes numbers depend on the local game. In South Texas we usually saw singles and pairs. Up here every picture on our game camera has shown at least 4.
Morning! Yes i think your right it does depend on area. But they still are pack critters. Most of the time small groups or singles are simply scouts. They are out looking for food for the pack. Usually you will never get a picture of an entire group. They don't roll like that unless they are going after big game. Some singles and small groups are males that have been booted from the pack. Also when filling them full of lead you need to identify the alpha female and only kill her last. She keeps all the other females from getting breed. If you kill her first the others will breed and you will have an population explosion. Im not trying to be a jerk but putting one dog out (unless fenced good and tight) to protect against coyotes is a death warrant for the dog. Coyotes are very smart and extremely effective killers. Underestimating them will only get your dog killed.

Morning! Yes i think your right it does depend on area. But they still are pack critters. Most of the time small groups or singles are simply scouts. They are out looking for food for the pack. Usually you will never get a picture of an entire group. They don't roll like that unless they are going after big game. Some singles and small groups are males that have been booted from the pack. Also when filling them full of lead you need to identify the alpha female and only kill her last. She keeps all the other females from getting breed. If you kill her first the others will breed and you will have an population explosion. Im not trying to be a jerk but putting one dog out (unless fenced good and tight) to protect against coyotes is a death warrant for the dog. Coyotes are very smart and extremely effective killers. Underestimating them will only get your dog killed.

Yep, we only expected our dogs to let us know when they were there. We took care of the "disappearing ".

Thank you all! Our dog will never be allowed to be alone anywhere unless we are with her. We have 2 under 20lb dogs in our fenced backyard who have never been harmed. I saw 2 coyotes at 2 different times anywhere close. We've lived here since '79 before we even had neighbors or realized that we had coyotes. Our place sits just off a busy county rd that has proven more deadly for our critters than anything else. The last dog I lost to the road was when I told hubby never again until he put a good fence up. I realize coyotes can jump a fence so I still am watchful. Bobcat and mountain lions migrate through here but don't hang around. They are headed to our local mtn range to winter.
We have a lot of neighbors who also own dogs which has cut down the population of the various predators.

Just want to warn you that there is potential for any dog to have a chicken killing phase. Im not saying it will happen but it could. Something about chicken that can kick a dogs prey drive right into gear.

Thank you! I'll make sure to watch for that. I'm thinking maybe going from one flock to a different one might be a factor. We won't get to know that until Feb when they'r ready. The possibility is also that due to health issues, we won't evem get her.

Thank you! I'll make sure to watch for that. I'm thinking maybe going from one flock to a different one might be a factor. We won't get to know that until Feb when they'r ready. The possibility is also that due to health issues, we won't evem get her.
That would be a bummer, i hope you can get her!

The way to break a dogs chicken habit is to tie one around its neck for a week. After that they won't go near a chicken - not even a shelty will fail to learn from that experience.

The way to break a dogs chicken habit is to tie one around its neck for a week. After that they won't go near a chicken - not even a shelty will fail to learn from that experience.
Hmmmm, I have a Husky I may need to try that with.

Hmmmm, I have a Husky I may need to try that with.

Do some research into how to raise a livestock guardian dog. They are NOT like other domestic breeds, they were not bred to take orders or be obedient but instead to guard on their own (usually trained by adult dogs). They don't really respond to typical training methods so make sure to find livestock guardian to give you tips if you need advice. And no matter how frustrated you may get never use physical force especially once the dog becomes an adolescent.

They guard what they love. That means the ones that will be guarding sheep or goats are raised with those animals since birth and the humans stay "hands off" to a large extent so the dog bonds more with the livestock and NOT with the humans. If people bond with the puppies then the dog will always want to guard the people/house and NOT the livestock.

Chickens are particularly difficult because they are hard for a dog to bond with, they aren't even mammals and there isn't much interaction.

I have an Anatolian that was raised guarding goats and I bought him at a year old as a companion/house guardian. My boy was never around chickens however he is great with the birds. He will chase away a hawk or a predator that catches his notice but he will never spend his time watching over the chickens, if I go in the house he typically comes in too since he has bonded with me.

However his presence *does* do a lot to keep predators away. We have a lot of coyotes in this area but no other nearby houses have chickens, and as a result they do not view chickens as a food source. I keep the birds in a secure coop and lock them up at night, they only free range when I am home and can watch them. As long as the coyotes don't view them as food our life is much easier so I make sure not to give the coyotes any ideas by keeping an eye on things and not creating tempting situations.

Realistically a single dog likely won't want to guard chickens all day/night however the dog's presence will be a good deterrent *if* you also do your best to keep the birds safely locked up especially at night. And if you bond with that puppy he will always want to be a guardian for your family/home at which point locking him up by himself in a chicken coop would be cruel. Please do research LGDs though, they have some quirks that can take people by surprise (like threatening to tear their owners arm off over a treat or other cherished item), but if you know that is "normal" for them you can handle it properly and create a great relationship with one of the most loyal/protective breeds out there.

Latest posts

Back