Transmission Shudder Stop - delay an expensive rebuild.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INresponse

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Sitting here thinking about something helpful to share, you know to get my 5 useful posts for the drawing. Anyways, I mention this stuff before but it is worth mantioning again.
With an older vehicle it is possible the automatic transmission will start shuddering as it is trying to decide if it should up shift or down shift. Yes, I know a rebuild will be required eventually but if you don't have the extra cash on hand delaying the expense may give you time to save some money each month to make it less stressful. I had 2 vehicles both experience the shudder at about the same time last year, my truck and my GF's GMC Acadia. Most of the time they were fine but occasionally, especially when hot, they would shudder and not only is it annoying it is a constant reminder that a big expense is looming and no one likes that feeling. (changing the fluid didn't help)

I learned of Lubegard's Instant Shudder Fixx and figured I had nothing to lose, other than $15.00 for a 2 pack. Soo, I bought two 2 packs off Amazon and gave it a try. I put one tube in each vehicle, you are supposed to drive it for about 20 minutes making sure you go slow and fast and work it through all the gears including reverse to get it mixed in good and everywhere in the transmission. My truck was driven the most initially and there was an improvement but not a complete fix. My boss told me to put in a second tube of the magic juice and that made me think my trucks transmission holds twice the transmission fluid so a double dose may be necessary. Yup, it fixed the problem, no more shudder. My 16 hour drive to and from Wyoming up and down mountain grades and fast and slow speed experienced no problems and no shudder. The Acadia only got a few miles on the first few weeks, definitely not the 20 minutes as instructed but because of the success in my truck I added a second dose to the Acadia and drove it to town and back. Fixed. So far I have been able to put off the rebuilds about 3 months and the Acadia will probably be fine until summer or longer. Some people have reported close to 100K miles since they added the Instant Shudder Fixx, but ever vehicle will be different. Basically it is the clutch plates in the transmission that are getting warn and not holding as well, and the friction additives are what helps stop the slip and shudder. Regular transmission fluid has friction enhancers, but just at much lower quantities so it isn't like tossing in a handful of sand it is actually something the transmission needs.
My truck, still not shuddering but the known weaknesses in the valve body and accumulator pistons are not allowing enough pressure at times and I will be rebuilding it soon, but that is not the fault of the Instant Shudder Fixx. Like I said, a rebuild may be necessary eventually but it may not be needed right now.

I hope this helps someone.
Michael

https://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-196...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583451676317130&psc=1

I work part time at O'Reilly, and we sell this to one shop on a regular basis.

I've got 285,000 miles on my 2007 GMC Seirra and have had zero transmission problems. BUT, I have always changed the trans fluid and filter every 80,000 miles. I'll bet the majority of drivers do not.

I've got 285,000 miles on my 2007 GMC Seirra and have had zero transmission problems. BUT, I have always changed the trans fluid and filter every 80,000 miles. I'll bet the majority of drivers do not.
You would be correct. Most people never service the transmission.

However, I think a lot depends on where you live. You probably don't have many large hills in Florida, and here in the mountains I have hills everywhere, small and large, and many long uphill grades. Plus the heat of the desert coupled with those hills is killer on a transmission. But I did get 280k miles on my truck and the Acadia is over 150K Miles. I am not complaining, well, except for the cost to rebuild it, that is pretty harsh.

I had my transmission serviced at 98,000.
It was part of my Ford 100,000 mile service.
The service at Ford isn't cheap but neither is a new truck.

Can/should you use this stuff as a preventative measure (before you have an issue) or is that bad?
My truck has low miles but I have 2 Toyota's and a Honda that have over 140,000 each. All "seem" good but...

Can/should you use this stuff as a preventative measure (before you have an issue) or is that bad?
My truck has low miles but I have 2 Toyota's and a Honda that have over 140,000 each. All "seem" good but...
Good question, but. ... .. maybe? You can search your vehicle and transmission shudder and see if it is a common problem. I don't think it would hurt but I don't know.

Good question, but. ... .. maybe? You can search your vehicle and transmission shudder and see if it is a common problem. I don't think it would hurt but I don't know.
They're all good now. My plan is to sell at least 2 of them in the next couple months so I'm not going to worry about it.
If this stuff is worth having on a shelf for "just in case", I may consider getting some but my current plan is to get newer vehicles.

You would be correct. Most people never service the transmission.

However, I think a lot depends on where you live. You probably don't have many large hills in Florida, and here in the mountains I have hills everywhere, small and large, and many long uphill grades. Plus the heat of the desert coupled with those hills is killer on a transmission. But I did get 280k miles on my truck and the Acadia is over 150K Miles. I am not complaining, well, except for the cost to rebuild it, that is pretty harsh.
As part of my optional towing package, my truck has a transmission cooler up in front of the radiator.
Anyone who owns a pickup should install an aftermarket cooler if they don't have one.

As part of my optional towing package, my truck has a transmission cooler up in front of the radiator.
Anyone who owns a pickup should install an aftermarket cooler if they don't have one.
Excellent advice.
My truck came with a transmission oil cooler, but when I rebuild I will add one or two more. Before the radiator, of course. The transmission does need some heat for the winter and the radiator needs less heat in the summer, that is why it is best to install the aftermarket cooler before the others.

Latest posts

Back