Trapping Tips?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used the set mentioned above by MMM and it really works. I have also dug a Cubby Hole in the Bank near the Waters Edge, placed a can of Sardines or Tuna at the back of the Cubby, and set the Trap at the Entrance. Make sure the Trap is properly Bedded, and lightly covered, and place a couple of Guide Sticks near both sides of the Trap. This Set will catch Coon, Mink, and maybe even a Fox. Be sure to wear Gloves when placing this Set to Minimize Human Scent.

For those who would like to catch some Muskrats, a Wire Box Trap can be made. Get some Wire (I forget what it's called), but it's the kind used for the Bottom of a Rabbit Cage. Use a 2x4 to bend the Wire into a 10" Square Tube 20"-24" long, and Wire the Two Edges together. Next Cut Two Square Pieces just big enough to Swing freely, and Wire One End to the Top, and very End of the Trap with the other End inside of the Trap, resting on the Floor of the Trap. The Door should be at a Slant, and Swing in and up. Do the same thing for the other End. Place the Trap in a Muskrat "Run", or at the Entrance to a Burrow under water. With 6-8 of these Traps in a heavily Populated slow moving Stream or Shallow Marsh it is possible to catch Dozens and Dozens of Muskrats.

We aren't trapping per say, but we did drag a road kill doe up into the pasture. We have a coyote problem. The carcass was placed in a well lighted area near my chicken coop. Two nights of hunting yieled three yote kills from the comfort of our bedroom window. Bonus, two possums that came scavaging around, dispatched while I held their talis. Its been a bad year with varmnits in our area.

We aren't trapping per say, but we did drag a road kill doe up into the pasture. We have a coyote problem. The carcass was placed in a well lighted area near my chicken coop. Two nights of hunting yieled three yote kills from the comfort of our bedroom window. Bonus, two possums that came scavaging around, dispatched while I held their talis. Its been a bad year with varmnits in our area.

Snaring is the easiest way (IMO) to get coyote. Lots of YouTube videos to show how.

Latest posts

Back