Traveling to Alaska with a firearm....or not.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets say a couple from the lower 48 is planning on a vacation trip to Alaska. To do so, they must drive through Canada. It is almost impossible to take a firearm from the US into Canada. (It is possible, but there are 100s of restrictions and forms that must be completed and approved.) This couple, who shall remain nameless, always travel with their EDC, but seems like this is near impossible to do in Canada. What would you do for personal protection?
We drove the entire length of British Columbia without a gun. It was fine. We barely saw any people anyway and we drove only in the daytime to avoid hitting anything wild. It was winter so the bears weren't out.

Two of our sons drove the same route a few years later and they probably had a gun with them... more for any animal issues than people issues. They did the drive in summer.

When we crossed the border into Washington, we were asked if we had firearms - this was early March of 2001. We had cats and all kinds of paperwork on them, but nobody cared. We kept saying "but cats" ... "we have papers"........ but they walked away.

The way I see it, honestly, asking an rural American to travel without a gun, is like telling a Christian, they can't travel with a cross. In practical terms it won't matter much. But it's deeply humiliating and insulting.

We drove the entire length of British Columbia without a gun. It was fine. We barely saw any people anyway and we drove only in the daytime to avoid hitting anything wild. It was winter so the bears weren't out.

Two of our sons drove the same route a few years later and they probably had a gun with them... more for any animal issues than people issues. They did the drive in summer.

When we crossed the border into Washington, we were asked if we had firearms - this was early March of 2001. We had cats and all kinds of paperwork on them, but nobody cared. We kept saying "but cats" ... "we have papers"........ but they walked away.

Attachments

• hhhhhhhhhhhhhtactical cat.jpg
    hhhhhhhhhhhhhtactical cat.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 0
welcome to the present day present situation. In the past I have traveled multiple times thru canada from all the way north (Inuvik) to all the way west to east (tofino BC to St Johns NFL) . I always abide by the laws of the country I am traveling in as far as possible. Try speeding too much up there and they can impound your bike. I have first hand knowledge of people carrying guns having their trailer torn apart down to taking out the cabinets and such and piling them on the ground. I also have talked to people who were denied entrance back into canada from alaska after they had just traveled by road to get there, the border folks claimed they were not suitable or didnt have enogh funds or they wore the wrong colored shoes.
Canada is a wonderfull country with amazing people the further away from the mega cities the better it gets (kinda like the USA).
I always stopped at a cheap store after crossing the cnd border and bought a set of cooking knives. Kept the original cheap packaging and carried them with the biggest one available but not obvious......that and a small bottle of booze to aid sleep when you are camped way out back with strange noises.

Highly not recommended to try something like that.

You CANNOT legally carry a hand gun in Canada. You may, get a RESTRICTED PAL (training course and back ground check allowing the purchase of a restricted weapon) as a citizen. They are trying to end even that.

Once that is all in order, you may go to a "store" and buy a hand gun. Once you have made the purchase, you may buy a locked box to put it in for transport and you may transport said purchase to a licensed and approved gun range where you may use your item. The item cannot go home with you ever. It must remain in lock up at the gun range.

There is no scenario where you can bamboozle the popo into keeping your gun and other belongings intact and in your possession. File the proper paper work if there is any such allowance or turn around if they let you.

Bypass Canada or join a gang are your only options to do what you want to do or hope you don't trigger a search at the border.

I have this Webley Mk. VI WW2 military revolver. It is stamped "CMP" for Canadian Military Police. I wonder if I could make up a story about bringing it to a museum for donation?

View attachment 127089

You would probable end up donating it to a boarder guard.
Like said.. Likely a donation to the chief officer at that particular border crossing.. Supposedly all firearms taken into custody.. Even if you are legally transporting a firearm and are involved in a fender bender where your car gets towed.. The fire arm is supposed to be turned into RCMP and by law destroyed.. No opportunity for appeal or return for any reason..

Like said.. The current gov is adding more and more restrictions seemingly daily as they think of them.. Like said.. Pay to ride the ferry both ways.. Too bad as the people are wonderful, the government sucks worse than many realize..

Years ago my wife and her sisters and Mom went to Bellingham, WA on their annual trip.
I was kidding my wife and told her to stay out of Canada.
The first day she got confused and drove across the boarder.
They had DL but that was it and their mom didn't even have a DL.
They were separated and questioned for about an hour then the guards finally realized they were dealing with a bunch of clueless women and told them to get in the car and leave and do not come back unprepared.
My SIL made reservations for a weekend stay in Vancouver.
They would not let my BIL in because he had a DWI when he was a kid.
I can't think of a reason to go to Canada so I won't.

How the F does that work?
I follow the postings of international travelers who are traveing by motorcycle. some have been queried at the cnd border or the usa border with all sorts of questions and if they have a blog about their trip the officials want to reasearch it. There seems to be quite a bit of leeway for the enforceent at the cnd border. So keep in mind what you have posted about disliking police or photos of your gun collection.
Another gotcha is if you get turned away at one crossing dont just head for a small out of the way crossing thinking you will get across there. Those pesky computers track everything and deception can end in hefty fines or worse...

I follow the postings of international travelers who are traveing by motorcycle. some have been queried at the cnd border or the usa border with all sorts of questions and if they have a blog about their trip the officials want to reasearch it. There seems to be quite a bit of leeway for the enforceent at the cnd border. So keep in mind what you have posted about disliking police or photos of your gun collection.
Another gotcha is if you get turned away at one crossing dont just head for a small out of the way crossing thinking you will get across there. Those pesky computers track everything and deception can end in hefty fines or worse...

I'm just trying to figure out how they would even know...

If someone asks to see my social media accounts I would tell them I don't have one. It not like a drivers license or something you are required to have.

They were separated and questioned for about an hour then the guards finally realized they were dealing with a bunch of clueless women and told them to get in the car and leave and do not come back unprepared.
My (now) wife and I got the separate room treatment when I brought her up to Alaska. I couldn't figure out if they thought I was kidnapping her or if she was stealing her granfathers car. In any case, they let us go after about 15 minutes.

I'm just trying to figure out how they would even know...

If someone asks to see my social media accounts I would tell them I don't have one. It not like a drivers license or something you are required to have.
international travelers often have stickers they hand out and have stuck on their bikes promoting their you tube and other means of making money. Or for some people just googling their name, address in town of residence and things like phone number will pop up all sorts of things.
Its happening so keep your social credit score in good shape no matter what.......

international travelers often have stickers they hand out and have stuck on their bikes promoting their you tube and other means of making money. Or for some people just googling their name, address in town of residence and things like phone number will pop up all sorts of things.
Its happening so keep your social credit score in good shape no matter what.......
Well, just as I have no credit score, I have no online presence under my real name. Google my real name and the top link is -redacted- product from Home Depot.

I have a repair customer who is a fully permitted firearms dealer, he works for Canadian law enforcement as a contractor. when he crosses the border back into Canada with all the paper work and stuff contained exactly to the rules, the border guards will still hastle him. to the point that if his wife and kids are with hime he sends them through first, so that they don't have to go through the gong show for hours. again he has All the permits and knows exactly what to do.
I would not recommend trying to get around the Gun laws at all

Turd boy has past some redicules laws in the last few years, so don't smart mouth any kind of law enforcement type, but the worst are for sure Canada border services. if you aren't sure about something ask first. like if you have a cash stash declare it. if you have brass knuckles, they are not legal in this draconian society. On the flip side life is pretty peaceful here.

And be prepared to pay through the nose for Fuel, especially in the parks, fill up in Canmore before entering Banff park .

I have a carry permit. Last time I entered Canada, I was asked at the border if I was carrying (of course I wasn't).
How does Canada know that I have a carry permit?
They probably don't. I've been asked the same question everytime I drove to Alaska, from MT, two states without permits. I'm sure that is just a standard question.

That being said, I'm sure they COULD know if you have one, as its an official government ID and should show up instantly if the scan your drivers license.

That being said, I'm sure they COULD know if you have one, as its an official government ID and should show up instantly if the scan your drivers license.
So the Canadian gov'n "Could know"? Is my USA personal information being shared with our northern neighbors? I showed a passport, not a driver's license.

So the Canadian gov'n "Could know"? Is my USA personal information being shared with our northern neighbors? I showed a passport, not a driver's license.

I don't know, but I would be shocked if it wasn't as part of homeland security, etc as part of a reciprocity agreement or something. I imagine with have such arrangements with MOST countries and especially canada.

But it doesn't matter for this question. 'Nadians are nuts over guns. When I moved back to MT from Alaska they asked me at the border if I had guns with me. I said no. They asked me where they where if not with me (they where just assuming I was a gun owner) I told them I had shipped them. They asked for proof. I looked at them like they where idiots (which they where) "You want proof of the guns I don't have?" They let me go without inspection.

Latest posts

Back