Trump and Background Checks

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagBlackhawk

Rebel WITH A Cause
Neighbor
Trump conducted a meeting today with some members of congress to discuss how we can stop mass shootings.
Trump is calling for more (or better?) background checks for the purchase of firearms. I have to give him credit for trying to do something constructive BUT what type of background checks does he have in mind?
I am in agreement with him on many, or most, of his comments and suggestions. The main thing that concerns me is how do we conduct background checks that WILL NOT result in back door registration of firearms.
One attendee suggested a background check in order to attain a permit to to buy a gun from an individual.
That sounds workable to me.... Maybe, depends on how it's done.
As Trump stated, the black market doesn't care about background checks...
Did any of you see the meeting? What do you think?

Here is coverage from Fox online news:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...y-nra-influence-at-school-safety-session.html

:smilie flag:

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting a permit to buy from an individual or a gun dealer seems to be just another way of potentially denying ownership in addition to being a monstrosity of an undertaking. Who would issue them - a LGS after a background check is bought or some gov't agency (for a fee)? Who would enforce - BATFE or local? I don't like any part of this idea.

I feel like I am watching the death of what was one of the greatest bastions of individual liberty the world has ever seen. I'll admit it. I was a big Trump supporter. I bought that he was staunchly pro 2nd Amendment hook, line and sinker. Not the first time I've been let down by a politician and I'm sure it won't be the last but this stings. There goes 5he mid terms and the next general election.

Permits are just another way of 1. acquiring a fee or money making and 2. Maintaining a record as to who has guns! When I was a Patrolman, if we got dispatched to a home for some type of disturbance, we would check the permit database in order to know if there were guns registered to that residence! I wonder if that's still done today?

Trump Prayer.jpg

First and foremost, have y'all expressed your concerns to your state reps? I have.

IF, and that's a big if, they craft laws (and word them correctly) that expressly targets troubled individuals, ie; getting the criminal element into the NICS system, working on legislation to target mental health problems and leaves the law abiding citizen alone, I'm good with it.

Most of us as firearms owners do understand the need to keep weapons out of criminal hands and away from mentally unstable people.

My biggest concern is how these laws are worded. I am totally against 'universal' background checks as currently written.

I am also against the 'fix NICS' as currently written.

Latest posts

Back