Trying to solve a small mystery...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingnut

Rogue Dinosaur
Neighbor
Okay, I'm kicking myself for not taking a photo earlier, but I'm dealing with a small mystery here at the ol' hacienda. You see, I looked out my bathroom window this morning and I saw a mound of fresh dirt below, near the skirting at the southern end of my home. Right away, I thought, "Uh-oh, looks like some pesky critter has burrowed under the home!" Got dressed and went out to investigate, but the dirt pile was NOT quite close enough to the skirting, and there were no evident open holes or burrows like those one would normally associate with gophers, skunks, badgers, etc. No signs of animal activity at all... just the dirt pile. 🤔

What's more, the dirt pile was DRY, while the surrounding dirt and gravel was still WET from recent rains. I was so thankful that I didn't have to evict some critter from under my home, I simply grabbed the shovel and shifted the dirt to other nearby areas... again, no sign of an animal burrow under the pile. Afterward, I thought it was rather odd, and I wondered if some neighbor was playing a practical joke on me. How ELSE did the dirt pile magically appear under my window? And why no animal sign? Am I dealing with a practical joker, or some country whack job? Why would anybody dump a pile of dirt under my window? Dry dirt, dumped this morning after the rain... 😒

Could it be alien activity? Perhaps the dirt was an offering made by alien visitors, given in the currency they value the most... maybe that's why they're attracted to this planet, the dirt is a friggin' gold mine, lol. Or maybe some jackhole neighbor crept onto my property early this morning (after last night's rain) and dumped a bucket or two of dirt under my window... kinda weird. Damn, I now wish that I had taken a photo of the dirt pile, since it was dry while the surrounding dirt was wet. If it happens again, I'm going to document the bizarre occurrence... I hope I don't have some whacked-out neighbor creeping around my property. :confused:

I'm gonna go out and look for tracks near the former pile, maybe I can find footprints or boot marks which would indicate human activity. Problem is, there's also gravel nearby, and gravel wouldn't show any sign, right? Damn, this is weird, maybe some country gal likes me and she's a couple sandwiches short of a picnic... as in batsh!t crazy, lol. Meh, I guess there's no harm, I'm glad some big ol' badger didn't burrow under my home. I just find it odd that the dirt pile was totally dry while the surrounding dirt was wet, ya know? Oh, well, I'll take another look, the tracks left by my Vibram soles are easy enough to identify... :oops:

Could be fire ants or moles. was the dirt the same kind as surrounding it? if not get rid of it and pour salt on the spot, make a ring around it. its graveyard dirt, somebody means you ill will. seen any odd artifacts like stick dolls or feathers? better yet, heard any odd knockings around your house or had stuff go missing?

Well, there was ZERO SIGN of ants, moles, gophers, etc., no holes whatsoever and no passages when I shoveled the dirt. It wasn't formed like a grave, so I'm not worried about ill will... I'm just trying to figure out how the dirt got there, and why it was dry when everything else was soaked from overnight rain? There are no eaves under the roof there either, the dirt pile was out where it would or should have gotten wet in the rain. 🤔

Edit: Maybe I'm trippin' too hard, I'm okay with the space alien dirt offering, lol... the aliens can party at my house if they want, as long as they don't trash the place, and I can always use more dirt in my yard. ;)

Wait, this reminds me, I had another small mystery occur a few days ago... somebody weed-whacked part of the front strip on the corner of my property, outside the fence. I figured maybe the county did it? Someone whose job it is to clear weeds in areas near the road? Hmm... maybe it was the aliens clearing a landing zone for their spacecraft. You'd think they'd use death rays for that purpose, but maybe they got out and actually weed-whacked. No tellin' with these friggin' aliens... BTW, we're not that far from Roswell!!! :oops:

Well, there was ZERO SIGN of ants, moles, gophers, etc., no holes whatsoever and no passages when I shoveled the dirt. It wasn't formed like a grave, so I'm not worried about ill will... I'm just trying to figure out how the dirt got there, and why it was dry when everything else was soaked from overnight rain? There are no eaves under the roof there either, the dirt pile was out where it would or should have gotten wet in the rain. 🤔

Edit: Maybe I'm trippin' too hard, I'm okay with the space alien dirt offering, lol... the aliens can party at my house if they want, as long as they don't trash the place, and I can always use more dirt in my yard. ;)
It don't have to be grave shaped, it just has to be there. :)
Make sure they don't leave some on your thresholds to track in the house.

Be careful partying with aliens. in a couple of groups, the females are the sexually aggressive ones. not that that is a bad thing. just don't give them bacon or alcohol. Tygels go nuts and It gives Lyrans epilepsy style fits. everybody likes good weed though, but they eat it. the grays are both androgynous and perverts, if one breaks out a probe, RUN!

This ad just popped up in my email. Might be a good investment. Sorry I can't get a link to work, but go to Sportsmans Warehouse. They are having a sale on trail cams.

Haha, you funneh... maybe it was just a gopher probe. Or maybe it was a narco-tunnel!!! Goldurned cartel members high on meth overshot the border by 80 miles or so, popped up in my yard, looked around, broke out a map and back-filled the hole from below! :rolleyes:

Haha, you funneh... maybe it was just a gopher probe. Or maybe it was a narco-tunnel!!! Goldurned cartel members high on meth overshot the border by 80 miles or so, popped up in my yard, looked around, broke out a map and back-filled the hole from below! :rolleyes:
How far are you from the border?

Er... about 80 miles, but those meth'd-up cartel tunnel diggers move dirt faster than cartoon diggers, lol. ;)

You know, the 'old school' cartoons where diggers went a hundred miles per hour? :oops:

I had a list somewhere of the tunnels they DON'T want us to know about, Like the ones linking Atlanta to DC to NYC.

There are plenty of open mine shafts across the Southwest, some barricaded and some downright dangerous to those unaware of them, particularly dirt bikers who can't stop or swerve in time. Friends & I used to visit the Elliot Amethyst Mine on Tahe Peak in the Valley of the Moon, which lies right where the Mexican border and the San Diego/Imperial County lines meet. That mine had shafts blasted out of solid rock, so we'd take turns quietly creeping in there to check out the former mining operation (circa 1930s, I think). One could still see drill holes which were never loaded, I suppose the amethyst petered out and the mine owners gave up on the whole works. We'd find cool samples of colored quartz in the tailings... I used to give 'em to folks back in Coronado, they made very nice paperweights, lol. :cool:

P.S. I checked the yard this morning, and there's no further sign of UFO or cartel activity... ;)

Latest posts

Back