• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Homesteading & Country Living and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Two "EIGHT" acre tracts ALASKA

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
The bottomline......right up front. This will appeal to many but will work for only a very-very few. Mostly because of cost. Property here is super unique and has been doubling in price every few years. There is very little private property here, only 10 humans live here, it is in the Chugach National Forest, and has 20-foot waterfalls on the property for gravity feed water, and possible power generation. Been drinking water from this creek (unfiltered & untreated) for 23 years. Also, two high volume water wells, and new septic system. Ask questions.

Price?

I paid $2,500.-- per acre 22 years ago.
Most recent sales in area are at $55,000.00 to $90,000.00 per acre. both of those recent sales have no buildings and not water wells, and no creek on properties, no buildings, one has no electric available.

Fifty years ago I was purchasing property here in Sunrise, Alaska for $500.00 to $600.00 per acre. And selling it 3 or 5 years later for $900.00 per acre and thinking I was a very prudent investor. (I was a super Dummy)

Last edited:
I have lived here for 22+ years, and only ever seen my nearest neighbor ONE TIME. The property is a 1/4 mile deep and 1/10 mile wide.
With 8 acres, I could probably see and hear my neighbors. No thanks.

Sounds wonderful, but I am too old for cold weather, but enjoy.
That's why we moved here in southern Oregon and even now and then my kidneys get chilled, our wood stove takes care of that, thankfully.

Expected there would have been "more" interest from the prepping communities. My guess is the reservation is Alaska. And also, people think, well there will always be other land, Alaska is huge.

Expected there would have been "more" interest from the prepping communities. My guess is the reservation is Alaska. ...

While I can understand the 'seeming oxymoron' in this ("preppers" being gun-shy about moving-to / living in Alaska..) it's likely that it's Because they are more 'Abnormalcy-biased' that they Understand 'their limits'...

Ergo: Making a success of Living - and living Well - not just 'barely surviving 1 winter' - up there Isn't for the 'Faint of Experience'.. There likely are Lots of "Urban preppers" who are well-prepared / skilled at 'low-level Survival-skills', ie: fishing / camping / hunting, etc, and who Have the bux, and all.. but just realize that they might be putting themselves in a 'high risk / Do or Die' scenario, withOut the Experience living / surviving in a 'Mortality-biased' environment like that..

..I mean, even just those who've not "lived in Snow" (ie: Our commonality with ol' Rottenchester, there.. ;) Yah, we 'Know Snow', and what it Takes to survive w/o Heat / Power, etc, but.. Living it, is another thing all-together, as we Both experienced..)

..The 'insulation value' (distance from 'Population Centers'..) is Undeniable, and a Clear benefit, but.. For the Un / Low-Experienced, going 'All In' up there, is a hard sell..

..cuz Alaska is most-definitely 'No Country for Soy Men'.. ;)

jd

Last edited:
Well.........guess we will change strategy and write off the prepping market idea. Was holding the price down, but now we can get more realistic pricing.

I couldn't live in that extreme cold, and I'm sure you're used to it. Can't see how you can grow food there. We have 23 acres and it seems small.

With its fertile soil and summer days boasting close to 20 hours of sun, this region of Alaska, including Palmer’s Matanuska Valley, has garnered a reputation for producing huge, record-setting vegetables: a 138-pound cabbage, a 2,051-pound pumpkin, a 64-pound carrot.

alaska vegetables - Bing images

The produce may get big but how woody is it? One of the reasons we didn't choose Alaska is because of the supply chain. Everything has to be shipped in and its expensive to do so if you can get it shipped at all. Same with Hawaii which didn't even make our list.

Fresh air and freedom is not what it used to be.
When I see all the toys and tools needed just to survive in Alaska I get a bit chilly.
How long can You survive in Alaska without all those new trucks, boats, snowmobiles on and on and on.
Fresh meat and fish are nice, but man, what a struggle without modern toys.

The produce may get big but how woody is it? One of the reasons we didn't choose Alaska is because of the supply chain. Everything has to be shipped in and its expensive to do so if you can get it shipped at all. Same with Hawaii which didn't even make our list.
I guess I don't see the difference between supply chain fully STOPING for you or for me. If we both have (4) four years of food, (2) two high production water wells, we each have a "PURE" water creek on our property, Moose in the yard, and a river chocked with Salmon also.

People have lived in Alaska for over 28,000 years. Also remember "WE" both pay same price for food from places like Amazon.com, mine is delivered to bottom of my mountain. This year "The Great State of Alaska" will give every resident about $4,000.00 just for being a resident.

To me the "SINGLE" biggest factor in survival of long term SHTF, is proximity to human animals. I would rather be in a semi remote community of ten people, with abundant food "FREE" for the harvesting.

I did some checking - just a few minutes, nothing very thorough but I found land for $1500/acre in Alaska.
Now I don't have any way to compare what you are selling to the land I saw advertised so I expect there is more than just acres involved. I have looked at "productive property" orchards and farm land and it goes for about $12000/acre. Unimproved property can be had for less than $1000/acre in some states.
The location is a deal breaker but that price takes a few long looks.

Where you find "Cheap Land" in Alaska, you will find and abundance of land there. Or often it is swamp, and/or inaccessible.
Eight miles away from the property I am selling is Two acres (With nothing on it but trees) sold last summer for $176,000.00 or roughly $88,000.00 per acre.

You can find very cheap land in Alaska. The reason this land is expensive is there is hardly any private land inside the Chugach National Forest.

In 1970 I was purchasing land here in Sunrise, Alaska for $450.00 to $500.00 per acre.
In 1998 I bought this land for $2,500.00 per acre.
In 2014 1/4 mile away two acres sold for $84,000.00 or roughly $42,000.00 per acre. It had nothing on it but a few trees, did not even have electric, estimated to cost $19,000.00 to bring power to that property.

If I priced these 16 acres at the 2014 comparable, it would be $660,000.00 plus all the improvements.

If I priced it at the $88,000.00 per acre comparable, we are looking at 1,450,000.00 plus improvements.

Two years ago, we started the process of subdividing these 16 acres into (11) Eleven lots, we calculated that after all costs, we would net about $1,100,000.00

I mistakenly thought this property with its twenty-foot waterfalls would greatly appeal to preppers, looking for remote, but accessible property, in an area where property is rapidly appreciating because of location, and no property available.
I was wrong.......will now likely sell to a developer.

I am a retired Commercial Real Estate Broker, Appraiser, CCIM (43 years).

I did some checking - just a few minutes, nothing very thorough but I found land for $1500/acre in Alaska.
Now I don't have any way to compare what you are selling to the land I saw advertised so I expect there is more than just acres involved. I have looked at "productive property" orchards and farm land and it goes for about $12000/acre. Unimproved property can be had for less than $1000/acre in some states.
The location is a deal breaker but that price takes a few long looks.

Last edited:
The wife and I lived in Alaska for many years. We loved it there, and if it wasn't for family living in the lower 48 we never would have left. We had a house and acreage in the Farm Loop area north of Palmer. Most people don't realize that much of Alaska has milder winters than many parts of the lower 48. South Central and South East Alaska have what I consider easy winters, for the most part, and beautiful summers. I used to joke that in summer you really had to work at breaking a sweat.
The interior, west and northern Alaska have cold winters. Alaska certainly has its own unique set of challenges, but nothing that I ever had issues with. Virtually anything a person would want is available. There's a Cabelas in Anchorage and a Sportsmans Warehouse in Wasilla. Safeway and Fred Meyer grocery stores are always well stocked.
Alaska has a good road system, where there are roads anyway, a marine highway (ferry boats) and a rail system. Theres large rivers that are used for transportation, fishing and hunting. Where there are no roads you make your own.
When we lived there we had 2 atvs, an 8 wheel drive amphibious vehicle with tracks, a Tucker SnoCat, a large jet boat and a snow machine. I took flying lessons but never managed to buy a plane though. There are many places in Alaska that make for great homesteading; Delta Junction, Matanuska/Susitna valleys, Kenai Peninsula, Seward, and some of the islands off Homer.
I wouldn't be too quick to write off Alaska for homesteading. Something to consider to go along with the homestead for income is to get your own gold placer mine. There is a lot of gold to be found there. Another idea is to get a rotational job. Many remote work sites work a 3 week on 3 week off schedule. Alaska has a lot of opportunities that no other state has, at least for now. Alaska still offers substance hunting and fishing in many areas. We used to net a years supply of salmon in just a few days.

Very nice and accurate report. I just love that Farm Loop Road area; it so reminds me of the dairy farms I grew up on in southern Pennsylvania.
It was 47 above again today. the last six weeks it has been in the upper 30's or mid to upper 40's. We are gaining 3 hours of daylight per month now.

The wife and I lived in Alaska for many years. We loved it there, and if it wasn't for family living in the lower 48 we never would have left. We had a house and acreage in the Farm Loop area north of Palmer. Most people don't realize that much of Alaska has milder winters than many parts of the lower 48. South Central and South East Alaska have what I consider easy winters, for the most part, and beautiful summers. I used to joke that in summer you really had to work at breaking a sweat.
The interior, west and northern Alaska have cold winters. Alaska certainly has its own unique set of challenges, but nothing that I ever had issues with. Virtually anything a person would want is available. There's a Cabelas in Anchorage and a Sportsmans Warehouse in Wasilla. Safeway and Fred Meyer grocery stores are always well stocked.
Alaska has a good road system, where there are roads anyway, a marine highway (ferry boats) and a rail system. Theres large rivers that are used for transportation, fishing and hunting. Where there are no roads you make your own.
When we lived there we had 2 atvs, an 8 wheel drive amphibious vehicle with tracks, a Tucker SnoCat, a large jet boat and a snow machine. I took flying lessons but never managed to buy a plane though. There are many places in Alaska that make for great homesteading; Delta Junction, Matanuska/Susitna valleys, Kenai Peninsula, Seward, and some of the islands off Homer.
I wouldn't be too quick to write off Alaska for homesteading. Something to consider to go along with the homestead for income is to get your own gold placer mine. There is a lot of gold to be found there. Another idea is to get a rotational job. Many remote work sites work a 3 week on 3 week off schedule. Alaska has a lot of opportunities that no other state has, at least for now. Alaska still offers substance hunting and fishing in many areas. We used to net a years supply of salmon in just a few days.

Latest posts

Back