Unusual things you do. Others may say "huh?" but you have your reasons

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I count stairs whether I am going up or going down. I can tell you how many stairs there are in every single staircase in our house. Remember The Count from Sesame Street? I do that with stairs. Crazy, I know, but when you are carrying something, and you can't really see where you are going it helps.
Guilty !!!!!!

When I was a kid, every Sunday after church our family would go to Luby's Cafeteria for lunch. I loved their fried fish. And I loved their pecan pie. But I loved the fried fish more. So I would eat 3/4 of my fish, down the pecan pie, then return for the last 1/4 of my fish as "dessert". The final memory I wanted to take home with me.

Me too :)

Another of mine - I almost always have the TV on when I want to go to sleep. Without the distraction, my mind just doesn't want to shut down. I put on stand-up comedy or documentaries most of the time. Just enough to distract me but not enough to keep my interest piqued where I feel I need to really pay attention.
the TV in the family room is NEVER off, unless I have to reboot it. Dad called em standing lights, always a light someplace. I turn the TV in the bedroom on when I go to bed, Lori sets the timer when she comes in.

I count stairs whether I am going up or going down. I can tell you how many stairs there are in every single staircase in our house. Remember The Count from Sesame Street? I do that with stairs. Crazy, I know, but when you are carrying something, and you can't really see where you are going it helps.
I count lots of things. I think this is related to my teaching days and trying to be aware if someone was missing.
I always count how many people are in church.
I always count how many people and dogs are in a dog park.
I do count other things as well. My grandmother was an accountant and she was often counting things. Before my mother died, when we were really young, we would stand in a field and watch the trains go by and count the railroad cars.

I don't count anything, but look for details. I would look for colors people wear at church, I would look how cute the friendly dogs are at the dog park and listen for their names, I would see if I could understand the grafitti sprayed on the train cars. I like shapes and patterns. Good strong lines. Architecture.

I say "Eek". I know it's silly but my step mother in law - hubby's step mom who was an absolutely wonderful person and great grandmother to my children - said "Eek" a lot so I say it in honor of her. I think of her every time I say it. We have other things that we say in honor of his mom and dad and my parents. Both of us had wonderful parents that deserve to be remembered in all the ways we can.

I count lots of things. I think this is related to my teaching days and trying to be aware if someone was missing.
I always count how many people are in church.
I always count how many people and dogs are in a dog park.
I do count other things as well. My grandmother was an accountant and she was often counting things. Before my mother died, when we were really young, we would stand in a field and watch the trains go by and count the railroad cars.
Must be a teacher thing.

I count things too. I wonder why I do it but sometimes I catch myself counting my steps. Why? It's not a being old thing. I've always done it. And I am not OCD. Or.... maybe.... hmmmmm....

I eat peanut butter with a spoon also
I eat my French fries with mustard
And eat mayo and pepper sandwiches
Trick is LOTS of pepper
And I tap in odd numbers only
Like ,,, tapping a spoon on the pot after stirring. 3 times
A knock on a door. 3. Or 5.
I like fries with mustard, too.

I have seen people eat with their eyes closed. Weird to me
I used to do a lot of things with my eyes closed. Mostly when I was working midnight shift and was tired a lot. But also to shut down one of my senses so I can ‘feel’ the other senses better. Brushed my teeth with my eyes closed. Always answered the phone at work with eyes closed so I can concentrate on what the caller was asking for better.

I also count things, too. I shake anything, like fruit juice, 15 times. I tap the spoon on the side of the pot 5 times. I wonder if it had to do with crocheting because most of the time you have to count stitches.

I used to do a lot of things with my eyes closed. Mostly when I was working midnight shift and was tired a lot. But also to shut down one of my senses so I can ‘feel’ the other senses better. Brushed my teeth with my eyes closed. Always answered the phone at work with eyes closed so I can concentrate on what the caller was asking for better.

I also count things, too. I shake anything, like fruit juice, 15 times. I tap the spoon on the side of the pot 5 times. I wonder if it had to do with crocheting because most of the time you have to count stitches.

ketchup is boring

I say "Eek". I know it's silly but my step mother in law - hubby's step mom who was an absolutely wonderful person and great grandmother to my children - said "Eek" a lot so I say it in honor of her. I think of her every time I say it. We have other things that we say in honor of his mom and dad and my parents. Both of us had wonderful parents that deserve to be remembered in all the ways we can.
Eek?
My Grand Ms always said. "Well, I Swannie". I have no idea what a swannie is

Eek?
I've heard people say "Well, I Swan" . I don't know what it means either.

I have a friend (a young man raised by his grandmother) who says "Fiddle dee dee". I always think that's something good to say, but I never say it.

I have adopted a line from Dave Ramsey.

When someone asks "How are you?" I reply ..

"
Better than I deserve!
"

It catches most people off guard.

When departing I tell people...

" Behave, until I see you again"

Ben

Last edited:
Eek?
If memory serves, Swannie is another name for the Mississippi River. There is a very old song about the Swannie. You might be able to catch the song on old black and white movies.

For me to sleep decently the lights must be out and no noise. For example when I travel I shut the Ptack off in the motel room, winter or summer. Some folks need a fan in order to sleep. Not me,.some folks use ear plugs, not me. Sometimes I have nightmares. I talk to Jesus when this happens. It brings me through it. It really threw my wife for a loop when we first got together.

this made me laugh out loud.
I leave lights on, one low light in the living room, low light on in the kitchen or laundry room. At least one of us goes to the kitchen in the night. While staying at an inlaws they turned off ALL lights in and out at bedtime. Drove me nuts and was so dark in the house and outside.
Hubby will leave lights on during the night - drives me crazy. It will wake me so I get up and go out and shut them off. Out at the ranch growing up, the light came from the moon and stars. It was so difficult when I went off to school. I had blackout curtains.

Latest posts

Back