Victor Junior Wood Cookstove

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggkidd

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have been wanting a wood cookstove since we moved here back in 08. I have found plenty over the years but none worth the asking price or close enough to go get. I've looked a bunch over the years but they were either in real poor condition or a thousand or more out of my price range. Today my daughter found one at an estate sale just 6 miles from home that was in my price range and in amazing shape. So I ran and bought it just as fast as I could get there! It's smaller than what I had in mind which in hindsight will be better considering our place is small to start with. It is going to require a few repairs and a good cleaning along with all the black surfaces repainted. The shaker grate looks new not sure but I don't think this stove has been used much, I guess it could have been replaced at some point but either way I am a happy camper.

This is the picture she sent this morning that caused me to drop everything I was doing and haul arse to go get the stove.

They quit making these in 1968 but the only thing I can find on it that might be a date is 8 16 cast in the metal. So it may have been made in August 1916

vmatxsls06_1340021544481-1-Resized_20221105_123527.jpg

I have been wanting a wood cookstove since we moved here back in 08. I have found plenty over the years but none worth the asking price or close enough to go get. I've looked a bunch over the years but they were either in real poor condition or a thousand or more out of my price range. Today my daughter found one at an estate sale just 6 miles from home that was in my price range and in amazing shape. So I ran and bought it just as fast as I could get there! It's smaller than what I had in mind which in hindsight will be better considering our place is small to start with. It is going to require a few repairs and a good cleaning along with all the black surfaces repainted. The shaker grate looks new not sure but I don't think this stove has been used much, I guess it could have been replaced at some point but either way I am a happy camper.

This is the picture she sent this morning that caused me to drop everything I was doing and haul arse to go get the stove.

They quit making these in 1968 but the only thing I can find on it that might be a date is 8 16 cast in the metal. So it may have been made in August 1916

View attachment 97518
Those stoves are as valuable as gold around here in southern Oregon, our area still has a lot of 60's and 70's hold over survivalists around here that would give an arm and a leg for one. There is a stove store in Grants Pass, Oregon that sells new wood cook stoves and the last time I looked at one it was around the $4,000 mark. I often wish I had my grandmother's old wood cook stove, as it had a water coil in the fire box and a warming box where your shelf is. Very often when we do see old cook stoves like yours, they are missing parts and in need of repair. When my grandma was still living in her old home the wood cook stove had a large riveted, galvanized tank behind it, I would hang my PJ's on the open oven door, reach behind the stove to feel how much the tank was heated up and when it was hot near the top, I'd run in and take a bath, then jump into my warm PJ's and run upstairs to a totally uninsulated bedroom where I could look at the back side of the roof shingles, thank God for heavy blankets, still those are happy memories and I certainly miss my grandma and all the Norwegian foods she would cook on that old stove.

We have my wife's grandma's stove. I need to build an outdoor kitchen for it.
We also want an outdoor kitchen, we have a couple of Volcano stoves that can cook just using small branches and twigs, it would be good to have a small outdoor kitchen with a roof to keep the weather out.

It was always referred to as the "summer kitchen". It was the focal point during canning. It was almost enclosed but the walls folded down for ventilation.
On hot days we cooked meals outside to keep the house cooler.

Spent several hourswith a wire brush cleaning off surface rust and then a rag and vegetable oil giving the outside and inside the oven a coating of oil.
Still need to vacuum the firebox and smoke chamber and give them a coating of oil too.

20221113_162048.jpg

I love the condition of the enamel! its been well taken care of!
I wonder where one might find blueprints for a wood cook stove?
I've been planning a heavy duty volcano stove for years.

I wonder if it coal stove...??
Maybe both? its had more wood than coal used in it though, it would be caked black if it were a coal stove. I used to have a warm morning that took both, it was carbonized black even after a year of only wood. I miss that ugly thing. it made great pancakes and fritters!

i will be cooking on the plain woodstove ...if no power...no baking in oven tho...biscuits out of the wood oven...mmmmm
Make a sheet metal box to go on your regular woodstove to use as a makeshift oven, it works! Just use a little spacer between the baking and the top of the stove. I made a rack of sorts out of an old grill. Should have made mine a little taller it's only about one inch.

I had a piece of 6" stainless tubing I used to bake in until the land lord talked me out of it. it made a great Cornish hen and stuffing and baked taters.

Make a sheet metal box to go on your regular woodstove to use as a makeshift oven, it works! Just use a little spacer between the baking and the top of the stove. I made a rack of sorts out of an old grill. Should have made mine a little taller it's only about one inch.
we're looking at that...we have some iron grates for spacers...i hope to use the Dutch oven for some and an old stainless grill panels

I love the condition of the enamel! its been well taken care of!
I wonder where one might find blueprints for a wood cook stove?
I've been planning a heavy duty volcano stove for years.
I meant to reply to this the other day and forgot. I often wondered how I could make one but not having ever studied the inside of one I had no idea. Well now I don't have to wonder anymore. It's simply done just by routing the smoke. Basically a rocket stove of a larger design that doesn't flow as well.

Latest posts

Back