Violets

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
They are high in vitamin A and C. I’ve heard there are as many as 900 species of wild violets in the US. That said they can be loosely put in 2 groups Wood violets and Sweet violets. The sweet violets have a small bloom but a strong scent. Wood violets have a large bloom and hardly any scent.

The leaves and blooms are edible. I have blooms on a salad sometimes. Don’t eat the root unless you want to spend some time on the porcelain thrown.

The pic is of a Wood violet, Viola pedata or Bird’s Foot Violet. I found about an acre filled with blue blooms today. It looked nice.

Birds foot violet_v1.jpg

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
They are high in vitamin A and C. I’ve heard there are as many as 900 species of wild violets in the US. That said they can be loosely put in 2 groups Wood violets and Sweet violets. The sweet violets have a small bloom but a strong scent. Wood violets have a large bloom and hardly any scent.

The leaves and blooms are edible. I have blooms on a salad sometimes. Don’t eat the root unless you want to spend some time on the porcelain thrown.

The pic is of a Wood violet, Viola pedata or Bird’s Foot Violet. I found about an acre filled with blue blooms today. It looked nice.

View attachment 5538
It is a beautiful flower.

I have a neighbor who lets violets grow and spread on his property. So I have lots of them on my property, in spite of pulling them out. For a while, I let them be, but they would take over if I did nothing about them.

He also has creeping bellflower and lets it grow wherever it wants. It is an invasive species in Canada and in places in the United States. I have it on my property and have worked to get rid of it, with little success.

katlupe

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I harvested the sweet violets on my homestead for many years. My house rabbit loves them so I would pick plenty. They grew on our lawn and were plentiful.

katlupe

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Here are some sweet violets growing on my homestead in the spring. I believe they are the sweet violets as these are growing in the yard and not in the woods. What I like about these is they seem to survive the lawn mower since my hubby does not cut it real short.

violets_bst_600.JPG

Grizzleyette___Adams

Hermit on the mountain
Neighbor
I love violet-pineapple salad! Simple and refreshing.

Toss together chilled pineapple chunks with chopped or torn violet leaves. Drizzle with honey if sweetener is desired. Garnish with violet flowers, and enjoy a healthful taste treat!

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I want the yellow wild violets, but do not know anyone who as some.

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Up the river, we have purple, purple and white, and white. They smell heavenly right now. I have made violet jelly many times (it takes a lot!) I'm not much for jams and jellies, but I like this one. They are delicious and very gentle to the taste buds.
@joel I do think there are many kinds of violets (think Peanut said that already). Also, believe there is a "violet society". It probably includes house violets, but I know garden violets are a significant focus. If you search for the society &/or varieties, you might find what you are after and possibly someone willing to share. If you know the name of the one(s) you are after, I'm sure that would help.

viking

I know a lot of things, but master very few
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
When I was working for the local school district I found purple sweet violets growing at the base of a large maple tree, the smell was amazing and the flavor was very good, I did some research on their use and found that the Romans used them in making wine. I should try to start them around our trees, they seem to like growing around trees, they would be great in salads.

Latest posts