VJ's Chili....

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VenomJockey

Ancient AH Pilot, Retired CWO W4.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Ingredient amounts will vary with the size of your family.

Meat: I prefer ground sirloin, but nearly any kind of ground meat will work, from ground beef to ground camel.
Tomatoes: Diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, and tomato paste.
Peppers: Chopped jalapeno, banana peppers, and red/yellow/green bell peppers.
Other: Chopped onion and Portobello Mushrooms.
Beans: If you want beans, Kidney beans or Pinto beans.
Thickener if necessary...cornstarch.

Brown the meat, etc., before mixing in the rest.
I use the crockpot, bring it to a boil then put it on low and simmer for at least two hours.

Enjoy!!

Ingredient amounts will vary with the size of your family.

Meat: I prefer ground sirloin, but nearly any kind of ground meat will work, from ground beef to ground camel.
Tomatoes: Diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, and tomato paste.
Peppers: Chopped jalapeno, banana peppers, and red/yellow/green bell peppers.
Other: Chopped onion and Portobello Mushrooms.
Beans: If you want beans, Kidney beans or Pinto beans.
Thickener if necessary...cornstarch.

Brown the meat, etc., before mixing in the rest.
I use the crockpot, bring it to a boil then put it on low and simmer for at least two hours.

Enjoy!!
Do you make it with beans? I know some people eat chili over pasta and other variations.

Give us some ratio's, a baseline to begin... Start with one pound of ground what ever!

How many ounces of diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes... tablespoons of tomato paste.
How many ounces of onions or mushrooms based on one pound of ground whatever.

We can figure out the rest... just need a starting line. :)

What about spices... Ground chili powder? Salt to taste of course!

Onions... red or white sweet? makes a big difference in chili!

An inquiring mind who loves chili wants to know?;)

Give us some ratio's, a baseline to begin... Start with one pound of ground what ever!

How many ounces of diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes... tablespoons of tomato paste.
How many ounces of onions or mushrooms based on one pound of ground whatever.

We can figure out the rest... just need a starting line. :)

What about spices... Ground chili powder? Salt to taste of course!

Onions... red or white sweet? makes a big difference in chili!

An inquiring mind who loves chili wants to know?;)

I have a medium size crock pot, so I use 1 1/2 - 2 lbs ground sirloin, a couple 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, ditto crushed, throw in two Vidalia onions (chopped), one package of Portobello mushrooms (chopped), one can tomato paste, two or three chopped red/yellow/green bell peppers, etc....I don't really follow a set amount of much of anything, just put in what I think "looks right!" Spices are a personal choice, and I only use cumin and oregano, no chili powder. It's more or less a "throw everything in the pot and see what happens" venture, but it seems to work out well!!

I have a medium size crock pot, so I use 1 1/2 - 2 lbs ground sirloin, a couple 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, ditto crushed, throw in two Vidalia onions (chopped), one package of Portobello mushrooms (chopped), one can tomato paste, two or three chopped red/yellow/green bell peppers, etc....I don't really follow a set amount of much of anything, just put in what I think "looks right!" Spices are a personal choice, and I only use cumin and oregano, no chili powder. It's more or less a "throw everything in the pot and see what happens" venture, but it seems to work out well!!

I have a base recipe I've been working off of for years. I mix it up too. I use Ro-Tel diced tomates w/chilies, instead of regular diced tomatoes. Everybody and their brother has a chili base starter at the grocery store these days... even Tabasco has gotten in the game! Tabasco Chili Starter... Saw it the other day! Certain things I like fresh... onion, garlic, sometimes I even dice up green onions.

Always looking for a good base! Thanks @VenomJockey ! :)

I have a base recipe I've been working off of for years. I mix it up too. I use Ro-Tel diced tomates w/chilies, instead of regular diced tomatoes. Everybody and their brother has a chili base starter at the grocery store these days... even Tabasco has gotten in the game! Tabasco Chili Starter... Saw it the other day! Certain things I like fresh... onion, garlic, sometimes I even dice up green onions.

Always looking for a good base! Thanks @VenomJockey ! :)

I don't know why, but it seems to me that Ro-Tel tomatoes are so much better than other tomato products, imho, that they are almost all that I buy or use when I cook. I first found them when someone brought Velveeta - Ro-Tel tomatoes dip to work. I wonder if anyone has a copycat recipe? There are a few varieties of flavors of Ro-Tel tomatoes. I buy them by the box at Costco. Velveeta is fake cheese, but does have a longer shelf life and could be used for food storage. I am wondering how the taste compares to dehydrated cheese?

I don't know why, but it seems to me that Ro-Tel tomatoes are so much better than other tomato products, imho, that they are almost all that I buy or use when I cook. I first found them when someone brought Velveeta - Ro-Tel tomatoes dip to work. I wonder if anyone has a copycat recipe? There are a few varieties of flavors of Ro-Tel tomatoes. I buy them by the box at Costco. Velveeta is fake cheese, but does have a longer shelf life and could be used for food storage. I am wondering how the taste compares to dehydrated cheese?

https://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/67/RoTel_Tomatoes61586.shtml

Latest posts

Back