Waist High Rasied Beds.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are moving to mostly raised beds for the reasons above: bad soil and worn out bodies.

These beds will have cardboard in the base, then layers of shredded tree trimmings (I got a couple of loads dumped here for free) and ‘manufactured soil’. We are making the soil out of a mix of things:

Shown here, from the right... composted dairy cattle manure/bedding under the tarp. In front some left over composted manure in bags and a box that has perlite in it. Next, sand, then mixed soil ready for use and on the left, composted dairy goat manure. I had to buy the cow compost and sand and perlite. The rest was free. We also got some vermiculite today.

F2115E0B-783C-4378-AD62-A69A592FE481.jpeg

We have about an acre in the ‘back lot’ and that is my ‘lay down yard’ for projects.

Our greenhouse will have 3 raised beds about 26”x26”x6’. Plus the 2x2x18’ raised bed on the left. IF I ever get energy to continue construction.

AB348CFA-B4EE-43FE-BEFE-7998BA776FB2.jpeg

The raised beds are perfect for here. It is very dry and windy. The greenhouse provides not only warmth but also wind protection. Our other plots will be some sort of raised bed, from a foot or so high to about 3’ high.

We are moving to mostly raised beds for the reasons above: bad soil and worn out bodies.

These beds will have cardboard in the base, then layers of shredded tree trimmings (I got a couple of loads dumped here for free) and ‘manufactured soil’. We are making the soil out of a mix of things:

Shown here, from the right... composted dairy cattle manure/bedding under the tarp. In front some left over composted manure in bags and a box that has perlite in it. Next, sand, then mixed soil ready for use and on the left, composted dairy goat manure. I had to buy the cow compost and sand and perlite. The rest was free. We also got some vermiculite today.

View attachment 64932

We have about an acre in the ‘back lot’ and that is my ‘lay down yard’ for projects.

Our greenhouse will have 3 raised beds about 26”x26”x6’. Plus the 2x2x18’ raised bed on the left. IF I ever get energy to continue construction.

View attachment 64931

The raised beds are perfect for here. It is very dry and windy. The greenhouse provides not only warmth but also wind protection. Our other plots will be some sort of raised bed, from a foot or so high to about 3’ high.

We use to have a lean to up against the house but decided to make greenhouse,wish we had of gone on with the lean to for heat and cold controls. Kinda like a solarium,maybe,our very first go at hydropnics several years ago.I'd rather have that at our age than raised bedss.Of course its just two of us.

1619727667028.png

We use to have a lean to up against the house but decided to make greenhouse,wish we had of gone on with the lean to for heat and cold controls. Kinda like a solarium,maybe,our very first go at hydropnics several years ago.I'd rather have that at our age than raised bedss.Of course its just two of us.

View attachment 64934
A guy at work has an awesome hydroponic setup. Hes hot a lot of time and money Into it. He won't tell me his secrets yet though lol.

Its not nearly as complicated as some make it.We did great with it so if you need any help jusy ask me or Mr.Meer.Not bragging its just that easy.

I've never understood the whole raised bed thing.

HashB you ever manually pull a plow? We don't have a trator.So raised bed and alternatives are the next best thing.:DNo tractor no mule not even a donkey or horse anymore. Grass and weeds not as connom in raised bed as on flat open soil.

Latest posts

Back