Walmart plans to charge you to use self checkout.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tootsie

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Really. Fox News today, 3/20/24, Walmart plans to require a $99 annual fee if you plan to use the self checkout. I don’t think this will go over well. It’s a great way to send business elsewhere.

Attachments

• IMG_1483.png
    IMG_1483.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
We go to Wally-whirled infrequently as it is. That frequency will be reduced to 0 trips per year as a result of this. Let me know how it works out.

Really. Fox News today, 3/20/24, Walmart plans to require a $99 annual fee if you plan to use the self checkout. I don’t think this will go over well. It’s a great way to send business elsewhere.
Sooooo, they now want to charge you, for doing their job?:oops:
Just when I thought people that shop there were stupid, they lower the bar. :rolleyes:

But they always have one or 2 things that are a way better price, and here they are not the nightmare people magnets that I see you tubes of in the states, maybe the cold weather helps keep that a t bay, that and I stay out of larger cities.

I haven't gone to Walmart since early 2020 when Covid hit. Some people enjoy self-check out. I do not. And I am certainly not going to pay to do something I refuse to do in the first place.

Does Walmart really think that will fly? I don't think so.

I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have to take off a sock to count the number of times I’ve shopped at Walmart. So, I couldn’t care less what they do. I have been through a self checkout line once. A store employee waylayed me and forced me to go through the checkout. We stood there until I started to back out. She removed my items from my cart and ran them through the system. When she finished she said, now isn’t that easy. I just shook my head and left. I don’t think that was the response she was looking for.

Sooooo, they now want to charge you, for doing their job?:oops:
Just when I thought people that shop there were stupid, they lower the bar. :rolleyes:
I have a cousin who has frequently talked about self-check out and how there are clerks being paid to do that job, but when you do self-check out, you are NOT being paid.

I've never been a big fan of WM. Do I shop there? A little. But If they want to charge for self-check out, people will just get in the lines where there are clerks.

The nearest Walmart is a 45 minute drive, one way. An hour if there's traffic when you finally get in that area.
I can't even remember when the last time I was there. My wife flat out refuses to go there.

More internet misinformation.

Walmart is also not closing or restricting its self-checkout to subscribers, Walmart representative Robert Arrieta told VERIFY.
Walmart does require customers to have a paid subscription to use its “scan & go" feature, which allows users to scan items as they shop, using their cell phone. Customers paying with “scan & go” must still complete their purchase at the self-checkout kiosk, however, the kiosks are not limited to Walmart+ subscribers using this checkout option.

More internet misinformation.

Walmart is also not closing or restricting its self-checkout to subscribers, Walmart representative Robert Arrieta told VERIFY.
Walmart does require customers to have a paid subscription to use its “scan & go" feature, which allows users to scan items as they shop, using their cell phone. Customers paying with “scan & go” must still complete their purchase at the self-checkout kiosk, however, the kiosks are not limited to Walmart+ subscribers using this checkout option.
I have no cellphone and not planning to have any. Never

As every other store move TOWARDS self checkouts, Walmart moves AWAY from them.

This tells you more about the typical Walmart clientele than anything. What can you do at a self-checkout that is easier there than at a manned checkout? STEAL!

So while it may be a very sad commentary on the class of people who typically shop at Walmart, I can see why Walmart might have to do this. Walmart has probably determined that they will lose LESS money by offending their HONEST customers than by letting their DISHONEST ones continue as they have been. Sad. Very sad. But Walmart chose the customers they wanted to market to, and now they are having to live with the consequences. It seems like most here say that they will occasionally go into a Walmart, but not as a routine shopping destination. That describes me as well. I can see in many rural areas that your only choice may be a Walmart. So I don't mean to insult they type of Walmart customer who has to go there out of necessity - no other feasible choice available. I can see Walmart being a life saver in rural areas (although you may have to go back and buy the same item four times because it keeps falling apart).

I hate Walmart ... haven't been in almost a year.

But we have a Walmart grocery here as well, and I do like shopping there.

Can't stand the damned self checkout ... pisses me off.

You want me to shop at your store? Then provide a cashier to ring it all up and bag it for me, otherwise screw you.

p.s. One cashier for 10 customers in unacceptable!!!!!!

I have only been to Walmart once maybe 20 years ago because The Princess told that is where my son and should go to buy him boots. It was not very interesting back then.
I hate Walmart ... haven't been in almost a year.

But we have a Walmart grocery here as well, and I do like shopping there.

Can't stand the damned self checkout ... pisses me off.

You want me to shop at your store? Then provide a cashier to ring it all up and bag it for me, otherwise screw you.

p.s. One cashier for 10 customers in unacceptable!!!!!!

I don't want to do self check out because I want the store representative to determine my total not me. Scanning myself assumes responsibility and relieves the store. No sir. Pay the cashier and include it in my bill.

I read about a guy nailed for falsify the scan codes on items he scanned himself. Aside from being dishonest he screwed up the inventory tracking. Not cool.

Ben

I went to Walmart during Covid so my wife didn't have to be around a lot of people.
Went through self check and when I got to my truck I realized I had not scanned the kitty litter.
So I took it back in to scan and the woman at the door asked me what I was doing. I told her I missed the litter and I was going back to pay for it.
She was absolutely amazed someone would come back to pay. She even called another woman over to tell her.
That was a sad reminder of how little integrity people have when she was shocked I came back.

Sometimes I find self-checkout my preferred choice. Sometimes I like a cashier better. Depends on lots of things - how many items I am buying, how bulky they are, how bad the lines at a cashier vs. self-checkout are, etc. There is no "this way is better than the other way 100% of the time".

At our grocery store, they have so few cashiers (plenty of lanes, just unmanned) that self-checkout is about the only way. The problem there, is they do not have enough counter space to put all your groceries after scanning them. Those counters weight your stuff to make sure you aren't stealing it.

I wouldn't mind total self-checkout, or total cashier checking. So long as it's efficient. Right now, cashiers are not efficient (too few of them, creating long lines) and self-checkout is inefficient (not enough room to place your scanned items, scales that are not adjusted correctly and keep telling you to "put all scanned items on the scale" even though you have already done that). Basically, they have combined the worst of both worlds and that's what we're living with. :confused:

Our grocery had a brief trial of cart scanners. You had a handheld battery powered scanner that you took around with you as you walked the store. As you pick up something off the shelf, you scanned it as you put it into your cart. The smart people had their canvas bags already in the cart so they could pick, scan, and bag all in one motion. When you got to the self-checkout you uploaded that data from your mobile scanner into the register and paid for it. This was kind of a cool idea. It had a few bugs (like scanners that wouldn't always register the item you were scanning - that's a real deal killer!) But mostly, it was a high tech solution they were trying to introduce to people with low tech brains. Thus, the trial deployment evidently did not go well, and it was abandoned fairly quickly. Hey, but they did at least try to come up with something new and improved. They just failed. Which is part of the game.

I shop WallyWorld as they do have some good products...!!! It's like everywhere else, some better deals can bee found there, esp in the Garden Center...!! I try to use the Cashier run checkout and I really enjoyed it when the register was open at the Garden Center...! I could park at the end of the Dollar tree and walk to the Garden Cntr when the register was open and go right back to where I parked and avoid all the parking lot traffic...! When at the Super Center, walking from the Dollar tree was quicker than walking from the Grocery thru the store to the Garden Center... Now when it is busy, it's almost like driving on a busy street :good luck:

Latest posts

Back