Want a home for one Euro? Sicily is your new home!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother in law actually bought a house in a small town in Italy several years ago for next to nothing. He and his wife pay for a caretaker at a rate way below what it would cost in the US. It's their vacation home and they rent it out to friends and family. However he is a pilot for a major airline and flies there routinely, so it makes sense. But even at that price I couldn't afford the airfare.

My brother in law actually bought a house in a small town in Italy several years ago for next to nothing. He and his wife pay for a caretaker at a rate way below what it would cost in the US. It's their vacation home and they rent it out to friends and family. However he is a pilot for a major airline and flies there routinely, so it makes sense. But even at that price I couldn't afford the airfare.
My foster parents bought a house in Italy a few years ago. Mom flies quite a bit for work so they use her miles and fly almost free.

Sicily, the home of the Mafia?? hmmm
Exactly my thought. Don't think it is important? While I never knew this family, the grandmother, who was in the car at the time of the shooting, was someone I saw frequently at the school I worked at. She worked in another program across the street that had some association with our school.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Green

My first choice would be to live in an independent Western Canada, my second the way Canada is structured now, my third would be the US .... Sicily is a long way down the list. Not even for a Euro.
If I was ever to consider living in Europe, it would be Czechia, formerly the Czech Republic, because of my ancestry. Otherwise, it would be the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas or Wyoming.

If I was ever to consider living in Europe, it would be Czechia, formerly the Czech Republic, because of my ancestry. Otherwise, it would be the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas or Wyoming.

My ancestry is also from cooler climates but I don't like cold. Most of us pale skins come from The Caucasus Region. We are Garlic,Celtic or Frankish. Many migrated west to Europe,

350px-Caucasus_topographic_map-en.svg.png

my DNA is English and a bit of Norwegian, my upbringing is totally English and mostly Devonian, my paternal home is 25 miles from where I am living now and in the same county.
if I HAD to leave Britain my first choice would be Canada where my two Uncles lived but I think the wife would find it too cold for her.

my DNA is English and a bit of Norwegian, my upbringing is totally English and mostly Devonian, my paternal home is 25 miles from where I am living now and in the same county.
if I HAD to leave Britain my first choice would be Canada where my two Uncles lived but I think the wife would find it too cold for her.
That Norwegian DNA may have been contributed by the Vikings. It is not uncommon for many people from across Europe to have Scandinavian DNA because of them.

yes it may be, it could also be because my birth father was an American G.I. with a Norwegian sounding name(which is about all I know about him).

Let’s see ...we have been in Canada more than 400 years, as far as my research goes (no DNA testing) we are English, Scottish, Irish, German and French. the line goes back at least to William the Conquerer coming to the British Isles. Not a lot of high falutin money either. Farmers, fishermen, woodsman and soldiers. No slaves, no money no privilege. A few rum runners, a horse thief or two and some privateers. Pretty much common folk

Back