Washing

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a king size afghan that was hand stitched / crochet out of yarn, how do I wash it?
Cold water delicate? Line fry? Or cold tumble?
My mom crochet a lot, I have many of her afghans! I cold wash on delicate. For drying I put a couple of large dry towels in the dryer with an afghan on low heat for about 10 minutes. I then put a flannel sheet over the bed and lay the afghan over it to air dry, turning in several hours. I don't line dry those because I've had them stretch! I have had to run them through air dry with dry towels to finish drying them!

Not knowing the condition, the way it was made nor the fiber used in this afghan, I would hand wash it. If you have a bath tub that can be used for a few days, this is how I would do it. I would put it in the tub, put in the plug, and turn on cool water. Get the afghan submerged. While the water is running, add your soap, to help with dispersing the soap. Again, not knowing the fiber content, it determines what kind of soap to use. If it is wool, use Woolite. You could use Woolite on any fiber, but it is best to use it if the afghan is made of wool. I would use a liquid detergent in the water. Let it soak, and gently agitate it by hand. If the water is particularly dirty, pull the plug, let it drain, and fill it again. If the water is not particularly dirty, no need to drain and refill, except to rinse. I have left dirty things to soak for hours, but only because they are dirty. Edit: when you think the water is clear, pull the plug, let water drain, and rinse by filling the tub again. I pull the plug and let it set for a while to allow water to drain. Then I hang to dry over my drying rack, making sure that there is not pressure on one particular area, which could cause damage.

Sometimes things are really dirty, and need to be given time. Sometimes things just need to be freshened up.

I have an afghan that my grandmother made for me when I was in h.s., so it is 50+ years old. It is made from one variegated acrylic yarn that was crocheted back and forth, from one edge to another. No Granny squares that are stitched together where it could unravel. It goes in the washing machine on gentle and cold. I put it in the dryer on air and run that until it is mostly dry, then I hang it to dry. I know this afghan and how sturdy it is, but I still prefer to wash it on cold and gentle. This also helps prevent pilling.

Thank you, This was a gift from a friend who has passed. So it means a lot to me it is a camouflage king size afghan

Dang weedy. Hand wash a king size afghan? I am to lazy for that 😂
I will look to see how it was woven, Thanks

I have a 15g horse water trough I got at the feed store. A big blue tub just for washing odd sized household items... ballcaps, stove grates. For soaking I just set it on the porch or in the shower if it's cold out. Might need 2 of them for soaking an afghan.

Stove sep21 3a .JPG

I have a king size afghan that was hand stitched / crochet out of yarn, how do I wash it?
Cold water delicate? Line fry? Or cold tumble?
What kind of yarn? I have a polyester one I spray with Hydrogen Peroxide for stains, then I hang it up and pressure hose it and let it drip dry.

Latest posts

Back