Water Main Break

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Weedy, I did not mention it but the established target range was 70 yards past the shed, We often shoot from beside the huntin shack.
I was thinking what a waste it is for those blue barrels and now what can be done with them? They could be moved over to the target area and filled with sand or something.

I've seen farmers in New York paint COW or GOAT in red paint on the sides of their animals because there are idiots from the cities around.

The game warden arrested a guy a few years ago. He had tags for elk cows and shot a pair of mules.

Many years back the Fish and Game brought six elk in from down south to try to grow an indigenous heard. They placed them on an island across from Ketchikan with no wolves or bears so as to give them a good chance. One of the residents called up Fish & Game and told them that the elk were eating his garden and to do something to keep them away.

A couple weeks later he called again and told them to come and get their &%$$( elk out of his garden and to bring lots of help. He'd shot every one of them and they couldn't do a thing as he was protecting his crop.

We store water too...got four of those 55 gal water barrels filled up. Refresh them once each year, using the old water to irrigate the gardens.

I do it because, where I live, our water supply is 100% dependent upon melting snowpack in the nearby mountains. Dry winter = water shortage. We've never gotten to the point where drinking water has been limited, but we often see rationing of water for irrigating gardens and lawns. And, to be totally honest, I sleep better at night knowing that the wife and I have about a six-week reserve on hand in the event the municipal water supply shuts down entirely (say, due to an earthquake - a fairly decent probability in this neighborhood).

This year looks to be a classic example: as of last week, between our reservoirs and existing snowpack, we're at 41% of normal. Bet we'll be rationing water by July. And I'll be pretty happy to have those 220 gallons of water on hand. Had a roof water harvesting system set up at the old house, but we traded down in 2016...have yet to set one up here.

Sentry18, all the best to your folks. Good on them for sticking it out but, for their sake, I sure hope the water issue is fixed in short order.

There is a story of an old dairy farmer who used to every hunting season paint in big orange letters COW on the sides of his herd. He was ask if he painted BULL on the bulls . He said naw no need to confuse them city slickers with details. Now I do know of a farmer who had his tractor shot.......In defense of the hunter it was a John Deere.....

Sooooo here is the story I got from my Mom today. The water main broke, they got it fixed but could not get the pressure back up to where it is supposed to be. They ended up finding several smaller breaks or leaks that had to be fixed. Then they had to start testing the water and make sure it was good to go. They had water off and on all week but it's use was limited, so they just used snow and bottled water all week. My Mom saw it as nothing but a mild inconvenience, because of course she was prepared.

The city actually did a pretty good job of coming around with cases of water and 1 gallon jugs of water, especially for the elderly and people with small children. But they offered it to anyone who called in as well.

By Friday night it was back, pressure was good and the water was clean. Apparently mid-week the HS basketball team had to go play a game at the school that was supposed to come to town and play. After they game the school gave the proceeds from the ticket sales to the my Mom's hometown team and also donated 2 cases of bottled water to every player, coach and assistant on the team. A very nice gesture.

@Sentry18 you have a smart Mum there :) , hmm they don't know snow makes water that is a worry :rolleyes: .

We have 2200lts of rain water in tanks beside the house, bottled water shop purchased and also have filled 10lt jugs with town water as well which are distributed around the home. Close by we have nature reserves with waterfalls and a river as well so we are pretty covered here. We have water purifications tablets, charcoal to make our own filters, drink bottles with charcoal filters as well.

Many years back the Fish and Game brought six elk in from down south to try to grow an indigenous heard. They placed them on an island across from Ketchikan with no wolves or bears so as to give them a good chance. One of the residents called up Fish & Game and told them that the elk were eating his garden and to do something to keep them away.

A couple weeks later he called again and told them to come and get their &%$$( elk out of his garden and to bring lots of help. He'd shot every one of them and they couldn't do a thing as he was protecting his crop.

Poor animals had to pay because of dumb officials. Can't blame the man though.

Speaking on this we just had our water turned off while they fix yet another leak in the mains water pipe under the house. They put in the wrong pipe and the darn thing keeps springing a leak every month or so and they just keep patching it with more joiners each time it leaks. The whole pipe will be made of joiners shortly :rolleyes: . So much cheaper for the owners if they just replaced the pipe as the last leak sent 200 000lts of water straight on the ground under the house which would cost them a fortune in water bills, you would think they would learn seriously.

Speaking on this we just had our water turned off while they fix yet another leak in the mains water pipe under the house. They put in the wrong pipe and the darn thing keeps springing a leak every month or so and they just keep patching it with more joiners each time it leaks. The whole pipe will be made of joiners shortly :rolleyes: . So much cheaper for the owners if they just replaced the pipe as the last leak sent 200 000lts of water straight on the ground under the house which would cost them a fortune in water bills, you would think they would learn seriously.

Just so you know I read that as "200" "Ooolts" of water and not 200,000 liters. For 2 seconds I thought "What is an Ooolt?" and then I laughed when I re-read it. :)

Latest posts

Back