Water Main Break

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
So my Mom called last night, apparently sometime yesterday morning their small community suffered a water main break (outside of town) that turned off water to the entire area. Worse yet the city was working on the reservoir and so it was empty, i.e. no back to up to the water line coming into town. They received a robo call from city hall saying it could be 2-3 days until water is restored and that bottled water would be delivered to shut ins.

My Mom was already on her way to the grocery store to pick up some fresh fruits and veggies when the call came in. She arrived to find a crowd of people angry because the bottled water was all gone and the truck that was supposed to have more still had not arrived. And this is small town America where everyone knows each other and they still post things in the news paper like "Betty Johnson's grand kids visited from Texas, a good time was had by all". Yet they were foul mouthed and mad that no one was catering to their immediate needs, and clearly none of them were prepared at all. She said she just turned around and went to the liquor store. They have a machine that dispenses filtered water into gallon jugs that apparently no one else thought of. She grabbed 4 gallons and checked out. No one was in the store expect her and the clerk. Of course my parents being the prepared type (not preppers, just old school) already had several cases of bottles water on hand along with several gallons bottles of drinking water. But my Mom wanted to be able to help out their neighbors in case they did not have any water. And sure enough the woman next door with 2 small kids had no water on hand and my Mom gave her 2 gallons. My Dad had already filled a number of 5 gallon pails with snow that once melted would make the toilets flush or could be boiled and consumed. Apparently none of those people at the grocery store realized snow (which they have in mass abundance) was really just water

Not exactly a major crisis, more like an inconvenience, but just another reminder of why have supplies on hand is always better than relying on the gov't or someone else to provide for you.

I have a Big Berkey water filter unit and when such happins to us I pour the creek, lake, puddle or gutter water thru a 5 gal sand, towel bucket pre filter( I call it a big lump strainer) Then pour into the Berkey for cooking and drinking, The unlumped can be used to flush or wash clothes. But of course I have bottles of water stored and ready to go so there is something to drink or brew my coffee while I'm settin up the higher volume system

I keep water on hand at all times because you just never know.

I've needed it twice in the last few months because my own feed in to the house ruptured. Turns out they used schedule 20 PVC instead of 40. Now I have to hire someone to trench a new pipe in the house.

I wonder if whoever I hire is willing to figure out where the water comes in to the house. No easy job since the house is on a slab.

They have a machine that dispenses filtered water into gallon jugs that apparently no one else thought of. She grabbed 4 gallons and checked out. No one was in the store except her and the clerk.
Not exactly a major crisis, more like an inconvenience, but just another reminder of why have supplies on hand is always better than relying on the gov't or someone else to provide for you.

I have seen these water dispensers in stores and from time to time see people fill up their grocery carts with gallon jugs and refill them in the store. Is there a reservoir for the machine? I guess I always thought these machines were hooked up to local water sources and had some sort of filter or treatment as the water went through them.

Isn't it crazy how people act in just an hour or so? I have told a few people that I took a CERT class and the recommendation is to have a few gallons on hand in case of an emergency such as this. Whether that ever went any further than that for any of them, I have no idea. It is a little suggestion that I am sure goes right over the top for some.

Me? Anytime I have an empty jug, I wash it well and refill it with filtered water. That is in addition to other water storage.

...water main break (outside of town) that turned off water to the entire area. ...t could be 2-3 days until water is restored ....

Half a day to repair the water main IF it is readily accessible. Then the Water Utility will take water samples 24 hours (?) apart. When two consecutive samples come back clear of e coli then the water is deemed safe to drink. Meanwhile the water could be used for nonhuman uses.

I have a Big Berkey water filter unit

I have an older version of the Big Berkey. They were called a “British Berkefeld” and still manufactured in England then. I have several spare filters and keep one in my go bag. I can use any metal or plastic container I find to filter water. I think a gravity fed Berkey or similar is a great addition to a home for emergencies like water main breaks.

berky filter (1)_v1.jpg

Last edited:
I have an older version of the Big Berkey. They were called a “British Berkefeld” and still manufactured in England. I have several spare filters and keep one in my go bag. I can use any metal or plastic container I find to filter water. I think a gravity fed Berkey or similar is a great addition to a home for emergencies like water main breaks.

I ordered some of these filter candles and made my own gravity filter using food grade 5 gallon buckets.

ADEA73D8-4CC7-4D79-BAB8-6D696FCDE2BB.jpeg

I used to sell charcoal that I made at the farmers market. I tried dozens of species of hardwood before I discovered that red oak makes the best charcoal.

It’s cracked and pitted by nature… easy to light and ready for filtration. Oh, its even better if you let a red oak log dry for about a year before you make charcoal out of it. ;D

Charcoal (2 sm).jpg

Last edited:
I admit I don't really store Any water. Of course we do have the 40 gallon water heater. We have our own well and a generator to run it. If the well quits working it would be an issue but not insurmountable.
This is where I'm at also.

But, I do have a well bucket and 100ft rope...as last resort,
and life straws, and a 1/2 acre , 20 ft deep, pond.

Jim

I used to sell charcoal that I made at the farmers market. I tried dozens of species of hardwood before I discovered that red oak makes the best charcoal.

It’s cracked and pitted by nature… easy to light and ready for filtration. Oh, its even better if you let a red oak log dry for about a year before you make charcoal out of it. ;D

View attachment 4679

That's why it is also my favorite firewood for heating.

Jim

And their water is off again. Not sure what the deal is but they had water for about 1/2 a day and then it was off again. Not sure if the repair didn't hold or if they have bigger issues going on in that community. They still have no plans on just coming to the Sentry18 Inn & Suites.

I keep three gallons of filtered water in the refrigerator which gets cycled regularly to keep it fresh and another 5 gallons of tap water in storage for cooking and washing if needed. I'm on a well and know if it goes it could be days before it could be repaired.

As for the ease wit which social structure collapses in even a small town, I'd say that anyone who has live in a small town knows the bigotry, lies and drama which lurks just below the surface of the smiling faces. The house of cards can fall from the slightest breeze sometimes but with good leadership will resist any outside intrusion.

We got rid of the rabbits last week so we drained our 1500 gallon tank, cleaned it and moved it to the garage to refill and use for emergencies. Our neighbor asked me this morning where the tank went. I thought his demeanor was a bit odd so I told him we sold the rabbits and all the equipment we had for them. We used that tank for the misters and self waterers on the rabbits. He said "That's to bad. That water made me feel better when the power goes out. I knew I always had water available to flush my toilet but I know you have another one by the goats." ?????????????? I told him that water was for my animals, not his toilet and if I caught him stealing my water I'd call the sheriff with the pictures from my security system! I'm glad we decided to move it out of sight. I've never had problems with this guy until his latest girlfriend and her barking all night dog showed up. This really surprised me.

Wow, @Terri9630!
Good thing you had that conversation with him now instead of later, eh?

No kidding. Being on a well in the desert, power outages are a huge problem. We bought the tanks so we could make sure the animals, and us, had water when we loose power during the summer when its 110°+ outside. I'm going to have to start locking the garage and barn when I'm not home I think.

Church and I had some 55 gal rain barrels set up at our hunting shed, We had a pitch on the roof and a short gutter that would fill the containers. It was a simple matter to lump strain the water if you wanted to wash or clean with this water, we always carried our drinking water. This worked for a very short while because someone only saw the barrels as target holders. It was kinda hard to hold water with all them leaks. Its been two years and we have not replaced the yet. Some people just don't have manners.

It's amazing that people don't realize how important something simple like water is until they don't have it.

I am blessed to live in an area that has rivers and lakes within just a couple of miles of my house and our own well. I have a water filter system to use if need be and also a bike and bike cart to haul water with should that be necessary. In addition I have a sawyer, life straws, several stored 5 gallon water containers, cases of bottled water, and a portable well pump that can be used in any well shaft.

I also want to put in an old fashioned iron crank pump in our yard for "decorative" purposes to water my plants with.;D

My #1 priority is AIR.
My #2 priority is WATER.

I certainly try to make sure my bases are covered in the water department.

Church and I had some 55 gal rain barrels set up at our hunting shed, We had a pitch on the roof and a short gutter that would fill the containers. It was a simple matter to lump strain the water if you wanted to wash or clean with this water, we always carried our drinking water. This worked for a very short while because someone only saw the barrels as target holders. It was kinda hard to hold water with all them leaks. Its been two years and we have not replaced the yet. Some people just don't have manners.
My boss had that problem with a windmill. He finally went to solar and had it mounted close to the ground so it can't be seen from a distance.

We do have surface water (a spring fed creek) quite close to our place and of course we we have several water filters. But hauling water gets old fast.
I also have the materials to make a well bucket but that would be a last resort option. I would have to open up the well and pull the pump and the pitless adapter. And any time you open a well you are at risk of contaminating it.

It is a good thing I don't have any long coats. Under my side of the walk in closet is our stored bottled water. I think we have some where in the neighborhood of 60 gallons. The we have the 50 gallon water heater and the 100 gallon bathtub Bob water storage bag. We also have a water filter system too. Now granted the bathtub Bob storage bag is only good if we some notice or a water stoppage, it will help out a ton f there is a water shortage. Since I live in desert country, I don't think my neighbors are going to be around very long, if there is a water outage. The neighbors will be completely out of water in a couple of days and will have to leave for places that does have water. Gray Man until the crazy's depart, one way or another.

The water line break drama continues. They are still not sure what is all going on, but what they do know is that they are being told not to shower or drink it unless it is filtered/boiled. Projected back to normal date is now Friday afternoon. My parents still have bottled water (16.9 oz and gallons) on hand and still refuse to leave their home. Plus they are still processing snow. My Mom says they will stay until they cannot make coffee or everything is back to normal, whichever comes first.

The water line break drama continues. They are still not sure what is all going on, but what they do know is that they are being told not to shower or drink it unless it is filtered/boiled. Projected back to normal date is now Friday afternoon. My parents still have bottled water (16.9 oz and gallons) on hand and still refuse to leave their home. Plus they are still processing snow. My Mom says they will stay until they cannot make coffee or everything is back to normal, whichever comes first.

E coli tests are failing. Either the Sampler is accidentally contaminating the sample bottles or...increase the amount of chlorine that is being added to the water supply to kill off the E coli.

Anything is a target for shooting to some fools. Can you see this in a SHTF situation? At a hunting shed, things are set up in a simple fashion, but maybe some kind of shield or wall built around them to protect them from view and ability to shoot them? I also wonder if setting up some kind of "target," whether you really want to use it or not, may deflect such foolishness.

Latest posts

Back