Water

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

havasu

Internet Constable
Staff member
Admin
Moderator
Neighbor
Joined
Nov 24, 2017
Messages
6,082
Location
somewhere between here and there
As far as Mexico, their was a 100 year old contract with water from the Colorado. These include The states of Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Nevada, California, and one more. Mexico is also allotted a portion of the Colorado River, so California's water spigot is shut down all year due to low water tables.
 

Spikedriver

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Joined
Nov 27, 2017
Messages
6,730
Location
Midwest
Another tidbit of information. It takes one full gallon of water to produce just one almond?
My biggest gripe is in the Imperial County. 90% of the land is owned by foreign entities, mostly to grow hay for THEIR countries. Saudi Arabia is the biggest foreign entity down there. They love their race horses!
Can confirm. I was just working near those hay fields two weeks ago. There are giant stacks of big square bales in rows, and there are signs at the ends of most of the rows that say "Foreign Export". Meanwhile there is a giant forklift with off road tires loading flatbed semis with those bales...
 

INresponse

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Joined
Jan 9, 2021
Messages
1,200
Location
Southern Utah
Just another perspective, just for discussion. Many think Californians should pay way more for their water. Do folks understand that only 5% of our water is used for personal needs. The remaining 95% of water used is for farming and agriculture to feed the rest of the world. Maybe we should quadruple our fruit and vegetable prices to the other 49 states, so we can supplement our water costs?
Not arguing......
I have not mentioned "pay more for water" but for 2 or 3 or maybe 4 decades California should have had desalination plants to provide water for the cities within 100 miles of the coast. Third world countries/islands have been doing this for decades so there is no reason California should have avoided this for so long.

I would think if the agricultural community had to pay their fair share for their water the price increase would be added to the cost of production and the cost at the store for the product. Production costs impact retail costs.
 

Spikedriver

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Joined
Nov 27, 2017
Messages
6,730
Location
Midwest
I would assume that the producers of spinach, lettuce, onions, and garlic would get market price for their goods. The cost would not be passed on to the end consumer. It would be similar to corn in Nebraska - they get the same money for their crop whether they pay to irrigate it or not.
 

Supervisor42

Formerly known as Supervisor42
Neighbor
Joined
Dec 16, 2017
Messages
8,978
Location
Louisiana
That should certainly not be happening
Hell, just think how guilty we are! :oops:
All of the water in the Mississippi river that makes it past New Orleans, we flush it out into the Gulf of Mexico!gaah
(of course we grow some outstanding seafood with it, but that don't matter).
Californians in high-rises don't have enough water to flush their low-flow toilets, and it's all our fault! :cry:
 

Latest posts

Top