We have corrupted "prepping" or We have done nothing while watched others corrupted "Concept Prepping".

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's turned into consumerism like everything else for most.

The consumer is pumped full of fear and then provided a giftwrapped store-bought solution at a competitive price.

Buy all the ****, never use it- dont waste time on capabilities/skills... all solutions are material goods. Promote fear, divide people.
True, but like everything else, the pure in heart will carry on, as if they are the only ones. You can tell who is for real from what they post on line, most of the time. There are thing you can not fake, like milking a cow, spitting rounds for fire wood, gardening instead of buying.
Bailing hay, fixing fence, stomping though the snow, when you want to stay in bed, so the animals can get feed & water. Thing you do not learn from a book, a wisdom that must be live to understand.

All the covid preppers are getting tired of it all and going away
Lol.....it never went away. 99% of people just gave up.

Well, I should say 99% of preppers really rapidly decided that actually prepping wasn't fun anymore when it became real and decided they would rather just be political. The 1% that actually though "This is it, the thing we where preparing for....99% of THOSE burnt out over the years. There is a tiny handful of us left that both prepped for pandemic, and are still holding with it.

I didn't mean that covid went away, I mean their gung ho on prepping went away. It was like a cool thing to do when covid hit....buy the extra freezer (if you could find one), stock up on anything since you were stuck at home, google learning how to bake bread (top google question), start a "prepper pantry". People got bored with it. Covid preppers thought they were cool at the time.

Playing devil's advocate here, I can see why many new preppers went away. They are reviled by people who consider themselves real preppers. Made fun of - not usually to their face, but with general comments about them. Had their intelligence and commitment called into question at every turn. Why would anyone want to stay around for abuse like that? And when they leave, the put downs and smug comments continue in their absence - they are chastised for leaving. All of this for the next new prepper to see and be turned away before they even get started.

Playing devil's advocate here, I can see why many new preppers went away. They are reviled by people who consider themselves real preppers. Made fun of - not usually to their face, but with general comments about them. Had their intelligence and commitment called into question at every turn. Why would anyone want to stay around for abuse like that? And when they leave, the put downs and smug comments continue in their absence - they are chastised for leaving. All of this for the next new prepper to see and be turned away before they even get started.
Actually I think the opposite happened.

The SB is the largest prepping forum in the world.......and the wanna bees mostly ran the long term very prepared people out of there.

That forum is still mostly full of trivia, politics and anti prepping threads........like "Why do I need XYZ?" threads.

That is why a handful of us ended up here.

Well.........if they are that easily discouraged, where did they get the idea the "FIRST" four years of post SHTF survival life would be easy.

The SB is the largest prepping forum in the world.......and the wanna bees mostly ran the long term very prepared people out of there.
I see it differently. That forum's management nurtures and coddles the new to prepping members. Those are the buyers for the "STUFF" advertised on that forum. The long-time preppers are not purchasing any products advertised there.

Well.........if they are that easily discouraged, where did they get the idea the "FIRST" four years of post SHTF survival life would be easy.
Yep....when people post things that indicate delusion.......the last thing they need is replies that reinforce that mindset.

In a very severe crisis, that will get people killed.

Here is a classic example of what has happened to the SB:

When I joined there, many discussions were held about storing cheap dry foods/carbs in mylar bags with Oxygen absorbers. There was a thread about that posted every week or two.....what thickness bags.....best way to heat seal.......how many absorbers of what size......how much should the bags suck down......

I haven't seen any mention of the above subject matter on the SB in more than a year.

No threads about commercial canned foods either.......or home canning.....or freeze drying.......

So how are those that have even been on there for the last two or three years storing long term shelf stable food then?

The only answer I can come up with is: They are not.

Yall would be shocked at the amount of money some earn per month on just a tiny hand full of followers.

hows $75k a month...or i even seen it as high as $161k in a month...for this one person with a tiny following.

I bet its unreal how much someone like canadian prepper guy makes.

So how are those that have even been on there for the last two or three years storing long term shelf stable food then?
I store underground. It stays in mid-thirties to low forties year around. And yes it can be dug-up middle of winter. I use 2" polystyrene (Dow Board Insulation).

Yep....when people post things that indicate delusion.......the last thing they need is replies that reinforce that mindset.

In a very severe crisis, that will get people killed.

When I think of those types of peppers I get the image that they are simply hovering like flies waiting for fast approaching windshields on the freeway. It will end the same way for them.

With my wife and I it has been a lifestyle we've had since youth.
Our parents went thru the Great Depression and then World War Two. They taught us survival in trying circumstances.
We grew up learning to make do, and do without. Lessons that were taught, and reinforced, daily. Thankfully we grew up in a different era, before the "disposable" lifestyle that is America today.
Serving a year in combat in Vietnam, where we were always short of everything except the enemy, helped me considerably. I am thankful to God for that experience.

When Y2K came around, we were already on our farm and living a frugal, thrifty, country life. So, we just ratcheted up our endeavors.
We live a monetary poor life, but we have no debt at all, and years worth of food put back. YEARS worth.

To paraphrase Barbara Mandrell, we were preppin' when preppin' wasn't cool.

I think that "new news" is not always the best news. Even here I find myself searching for topics and I go back (sometimes a couple of years) and read posts that have what I consider to be useful information, but over time every thread becomes corrupted away from the initial focus that had value. I do like it that here we have our "what's everyone doing today", "rants", "vax", and "political" threads, as these provide a steam valve for everyone to vent while trying to keep the useful thread topics "pure".

I also think that many realize that there are those who troll these sites checking for "undesirables" taking names of anyone who speaks out supporting things that are not politically correct; this tends to make the intelligent cautious about what they say....

Are you in this video taken at the Prepper Show?

I didn't stay at the show long enough to get into anyone's video. It was a nice day out for my son and I. Beautiful day to drive up there. Had a good lunch while we were up there. The show itself - I could have just burned the $20 bill that covered our two admissions and been done with things faster.

As they said in their video comments at the end ... "flea market". I found nothing of interest, and definitely nothing to buy. A bunch of home made knives and swords and axes. Unknown build quality. Pass. A bunch of cheap optics. Pass. A bunch of low end bags, pouches, etc. Pass. Medical gear (mostly all bandaging material) that looked like it had passed it's expiration date back sometime in the 70's. Pass. A lot of random junk - jewelry, yard decorations, kids toys, old military memorabilia, what looked like Viking pillaging and plundering gear, some WWI gas masks. Pass. The entire show overall? Pass.

My HAM radio club's booth made it into their video for about two seconds, at about the 2:35 mark. That was one of three "serious" displays. The other two were the Berkey filter people and a prepared packaged food booth (but like they said in the video, nobody was there manning the booth). They had our HAM club's go-box on display (club members can check this out for personal use). There is a hard case with radios mounted inside on a rack system. And then there's a separate rolling box of support gear - antennas, solar panels, batteries, laptop, etc.

Here are the contents of the hard sided radio rack mount go-box:

go-box-contents.png

And here is what's in the radio go-box and the separate support rolling box:

go-box.jpg

Love those PowerPoint blocks. I've got the connectors on all my ham stuff. Can't beat them.
Our daul band rigs are D-700s, same basically as your D-710s, minus a few features. We ran APRS a lot, or Winlink 2000. They were great for those modes

Reactions: Neb
I didn't stay at the show long enough to get into anyone's video. It was a nice day out for my son and I. Beautiful day to drive up there. Had a good lunch while we were up there. The show itself - I could have just burned the $20 bill that covered our two admissions and been done with things faster.

As they said in their video comments at the end ... "flea market". I found nothing of interest, and definitely nothing to buy. A bunch of home made knives and swords and axes. Unknown build quality. Pass. A bunch of cheap optics. Pass. A bunch of low end bags, pouches, etc. Pass. Medical gear (mostly all bandaging material) that looked like it had passed it's expiration date back sometime in the 70's. Pass. A lot of random junk - jewelry, yard decorations, kids toys, old military memorabilia, what looked like Viking pillaging and plundering gear, some WWI gas masks. Pass. The entire show overall? Pass.

My HAM radio club's booth made it into their video for about two seconds, at about the 2:35 mark. That was one of three "serious" displays. The other two were the Berkey filter people and a prepared packaged food booth (but like they said in the video, nobody was there manning the booth). They had our HAM club's go-box on display (club members can check this out for personal use). There is a hard case with radios mounted inside on a rack system. And then there's a separate rolling box of support gear - antennas, solar panels, batteries, laptop, etc.

Here are the contents of the hard sided radio rack mount go-box:

View attachment 126116

And here is what's in the radio go-box and the separate support rolling box:

View attachment 126117
From the look of it from their video, I am glad I didn't take the time to drive there and walk around. I have been to prepper events. One time there was one at the Denver Coliseum. They had demonstrations and discussions about various things related to prepping. They had booths with hand carts, food storage, and much more variety than what was shown in the video. They were having a demonstration about making bread when I was there.

Latest posts

Back