We love Classical Music!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Morgan101 , more Andre Rieu, this time playing Voices of Spring, by J. Strauss II.

The smiles are priceless!😍
You can tell everyone in the orchestra is having a blast playing such a cheerful non-serious piece. Bravo!

This is hardly classical but a lot of fun from one of our favorite conductors. Many moons ago my daughter would have been one of the little cherubs playing violin.

Mine, too! She played Suzuki violin from the age of 3 for 9 years total. The failure, she was never taught to read music.

We did the same. My daughter took Suzuki violin and my son took Suzuki piano. My son lasted longer, and had a wonderful teacher. Had he stayed with it, he would have learned to read music. After they had advanced to a certain level in Suzuki she taught them how to read music. He still remembers much of what they memorized.

I heard a Chopin piece last night with the violin taking the lead and piano as back-up. I can't remember what it was, but I liked it. I'm usually not a huge fan of Chopin - appreciate his skill but have other preferences.

I like Liszt.
I am not all that familiar with his music.
For a long time I listened to Christian music on my CD player in my car. Then a CD got stuck in there. Since then, almost a year now, I have been listening to Colorado Public Radio Classical Music. It is great! They play lots of different composers and also do some talking about them, teaching. I've heard lots of classical music over the years and never knew who the composer was or the name of the music. I am hearing and learning, but if I don't write it down, I lose it again. It is best for me to hang onto anything by listening to it on repeat here and there for a while.

I am not all that familiar with his music.
For a long time I listened to Christian music on my CD player in my car. Then a CD got stuck in there. Since then, almost a year now, I have been listening to Colorado Public Radio Classical Music. It is great! They play lots of different composers and also do some talking about them, teaching. I've heard lots of classical music over the years and never knew who the composer was or the name of the music. I am hearing and learning, but if I don't write it down, I lose it again. It is best for me to hang onto anything by listening to it on repeat here and there for a while.
I'm awful at that too. I can at times say, "This sounds like So-n-so." But I very seldom remember the names of the pieces. For me it's characters. Tchaikovsky is passionate. Beethoven elegant. Paganini romantic. Bach easy-going. Etc. As far as the names of the pieces, if they were "The Cow on the Hill" or "Children Laughing" or something like that, I might be able to remember. As they are . . . . f'get abou' it. 😂

I'm pretty good at remembering the composer, but I couldn't tell you the name of the piece, unless it is a "greatest hit" like Beethoven's Fifth or Eine Kleine Nachtmusik. I really do like most classical music. I can be very soothing.

I'm pretty good at remembering the composer, but I couldn't tell you the name of the piece, unless it is a "greatest hit" like Beethoven's Fifth or Eine Kleine Nachtmusik. I really do like most classical music. I can be very soothing.
There is so much of it that has been used in films, commercials, cartoons, and other places. It is familiar to the ear, but not so easy to always identify the name of the piece or the composer.

Just found this one. I love these guys.

Our classical station played this piece of music and talked about the composer today. I recognized this piece immediately, but had never heard of the composer or knew the name of the piece. Anyone who has watched a few movies will recognize it.

Trois Gymnopédies: Première Gymnopédie · Daniel Varsano · Erik Satie

Our classical station played this piece of music and talked about the composer today. I recognized this piece immediately, but had never heard of the composer or knew the name of the piece. Anyone who has watched a few movies will recognize it.

Trois Gymnopédies: Première Gymnopédie · Daniel Varsano · Erik Satie

I have known this piece since 1968. Those of us that were hippies back in the 60's will remember the rock group Blood Sweat and Tears. IMHO they were really the first rock group that included horns and other instruments before Chicago did it, but I digress.

BST included this piece on their second album which won a Grammy for album of the year. Here is a link. I think many will remember these songs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood,_Sweat_&_Tears_(Blood,_Sweat_&_Tears_album)

I have known this piece since 1968. Those of us that were hippies back in the 60's will remember the rock group Blood Sweat and Tears. IMHO they were really the first rock group that included horns and other instruments before Chicago did it, but I digress.

BST included this piece on their second album which won a Grammy for album of the year. Here is a link. I think many will remember these songs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood,_Sweat_&_Tears_(Blood,_Sweat_&_Tears_album)

Johann Strauss II - Morning Papers is my favorite. The first time I heard it on the radio in New Mexico I was at about 6000 feet above sea level and going down a mountain road with beautiful pines trees. No wind and hugh snowflakes floating down and this song came on. PERFECT!

It's Halloween, right? This is the penultimate Halloween piece.

And the supreme Halloween piece, albeit an abbreviated version. You can picture dracula coming out of his coffin. If you want to see the whole thing just go to You Tube. There are quite a few versions there.

It's Halloween, right? This is the penultimate Halloween piece.

I heard this piece on the radio yesterday. They have been playing all kinds of pieces relative to Halloween. The Colorado Symphony has also been having concerts relative to Halloween. They will play a movie on a very large screen, and then play the music for the movie. Recently they did Hocus Pocus.

They did have Itzak Perlman play with them earlier this fall. I would have loved to hear him play.

wrong thread...coolio is not classical.....roflmao

Last edited:
This is one you have probably heard, but never knew what it was. I finally found out.

And now for something completely different....
You don't need dozens of expensive instruments, just some wine glasses 😁:
(relax, it's only 2-1/2 minutes)

And now for something completely different....
You don't need dozens of expensive instruments, just some wine glasses 😁:
(relax, it's only 2-1/2 minutes)

Beautifully done, and accurate note for note. Very clever. Since it is the season. let's enjoy this piece.

Being a violinist that was instructed by a concert master in a symphony I do like many of the works of Camille Saint Saens. His violin solos are out of this world. I'll never have the skill to play any of his works but I sure enjoy listening to them.

Being a violinist that was instructed by a concert master in a symphony I do like many of the works of Camille Saint Saens. His violin solos are out of this world. I'll never have the skill to play any of his works but I sure enjoy listening to them.
After the concert, we had some conversations about many aspects of being a musician in a symphony. Daughter wondered how much a musician who plays in one makes? It is all over the map, but the lower end is around $46,000. A concert master can make $500,00 a year.

And what does it take to make someone an expert, a master? According to an article written by Malcolm Gladwell which is a chapter in his book Outliers, it takes around 10,000 hours of practice. There have been people who have challenged that though.

Latest posts

Back