We talk of post crash and off grid, but what of refrigeration?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If a person is going to ride a bicycle, or other open device in a post shtf world , it best be equipped with a snarewire guard and cutter, seeing what you are doing when your head has been subtracted from your body is a bit sketchy
In case anyone is wondering what @Tirediron is talking about, here is an example. A WW2 jeep with wire cutter attached to front bumper and grille.
1710036558688.png

If a person is going to ride a bicycle, or other open device in a post shtf world , it best be equipped with a snarewire guard and cutter, seeing what you are doing when your head has been subtracted from your body is a bit sketchy
Good idea, also the two person bicycle allows for a person to ride "shotgun".
Besides hiding in the woods and living stone age I wonder what other sentient beings are planning on for the coming times and for the rebuilding after the dark times....
1710036984000.png

helicopters have something similar

i spent a bunch of time in choppers!

Last edited:
I'm too old to worry about prepping. If I were 10 years younger, I would. But I live in suburbia ...

My prepping consists of a fridge filled with food, another fridge in the garage (both freezers are packed), and a pantry overflowing with all kinds of food ... including canned goods, rice, beans, etc. In addition, this is Texas, so I have a few guns and ammo. Then there are the two dogs ... good for preventing home invaders.

I'm too old to worry about prepping. If I were 10 years younger, I would. But I live in suburbia ...

My prepping consists of a fridge filled with food, another fridge in the garage (both freezers are packed), and a pantry overflowing with all kinds of food ... including canned goods, rice, beans, etc. In addition, this is Texas, so I have a few guns and ammo. Then there are the two dogs ... good for preventing home invaders.
Time to find a few younger people (I know younger means lazy) who also live in suburbia who you would like to see survive and thrive. Work together for the benifit of your group.

I'll make like a mule and get it done one way or another.

Lonewolf has the way of it. The difference between want and need is critical. I want a lot of things, but I don't need them to live a good simple life.

I come from strong peasant stock and I don't break easy. If I break, than its game over for me just like it will be for anyone. I learned that back when I was a kid. I have no illusions about that.

If I could chose, I would want any catastrophic shtf to occur early to mid winter. I can hit the ground running come spring after a long wait and see.
That’s an excellent point. Winter would definitely be a better time for it to happen.

My grand parents had a big 3 floors 1/2 + attic in Victorian house
with a water well in the basement
there was a coal furnace and a wood furnace at the other end

My grand parents were keeping wood baskets of veggies on the cold part in basement house
The house is still in the family the family did keep it and one uncle have it now

My grand parents had a big 3 floors 1/2 + attic in Victorian house
with a water well in the basement
there was a coal furnace and a wood furnace at the other end

My grand parents were keeping wood baskets of veggies on the cold part in basement house
The house is still in the family the family did keep it and one uncle have it now
Now that's the way to do it!

stored food is finite in a SHTF event, once its all consumed there is no more, to survive further we need an ongoing supply that is not reliant on supermarkets.

stored food is finite in a SHTF event, once its all consumed there is no more, to survive further we need an ongoing supply that is not reliant on supermarkets.
Thanks for your opinion. In my world there are possibilites not ultimatums and despair.
If one has some stored food it means the ability to survive another day, then figure out what else you can do for food.
Right now here in montana we have wild rabbits hatching everywhere, cat tails are growing in the wet areas (a source of food) there are other sources of substinence avaiable that most people havent even thought of even in a suburban setting .
A small group with varied skills, some means of defence and I know there are possibilites for survival during a muriad of occurances.
Never surrender never.

One of the reasons I am trying to improve my seed saving skills. Things with little seeds can be onerous! (Lettuce, herbs, etc)

There will be a wide array of situations across the board in shtf situation. Some without refrigeration,cellar and more..while some have a giant solar system powering entire home...to some with a tiny solar powering critical things they want or need..to some with root cellars and spring houses....some with nothing.

People will learn what crocks were used for and why.I remember growing up my grandmother having large crocks of pickles in basement.We went down stairs and got a few out for meal we were about to sit down and have.

Growing strategies to harvest just before cold hits and whys.Hanging cabbage in cellar roots and all.

Get ya self the Root Cellaring book by Bubel

People going to learn to count backwards so they can plan/time harvests correctly.

Last edited:
There will be a wide array of situations across the board in shtf situation. Some without refrigeration,cellar and more..while some have a giant solar system powering entire home...to some with a tiny solar powering critical things they want or need..to some with root cellars and spring houses....some with nothing.

People will learn what crocks were used for and why.I remember growing up my grandmother having large crocks of pickles in basement.We went down stairs and got a few out for meal we were about to sit down and have.

Growing strategies to harvest just before cold hits and whys.Hanging cabbage in cellar roots and all.

Get ya self the Root Cellaring book by Bubel

People going to learn to count backwards so they can plan/time harvests correctly.
That root cellaring book is very good. I've got it too

You guys have probably seen my bacon video already....but just as an example, there are ways to preserve meat that don't need refrigeration over reasonable periods of time.
I ain't eatin' no jerky.:(
...But I will eat thahell out of these! :D
Meat that doesn't require refrigeration:
71MrLeq3ThL.jpg

I ain't eatin' no jerky.:(
...But I will eat thahell out of these! :D
Meat that doesn't require refrigeration:

Sure. Same principle as old fashioned bacon, salty, dried (but not dehydrated) nitrited meat.

Thanks for your opinion. In my world there are possibilites not ultimatums and despair.
If one has some stored food it means the ability to survive another day, then figure out what else you can do for food.
Right now here in montana we have wild rabbits hatching everywhere, cat tails are growing in the wet areas (a source of food) there are other sources of substinence avaiable that most people havent even thought of even in a suburban setting .
A small group with varied skills, some means of defence and I know there are possibilites for survival during a muriad of occurances.
Never surrender never.s
stored food is only a back up system at best, I have grown a lot of my own food over the years and will grow more post collapse.
one cannot live on rabbits alone, there is something called rabbit starvation which caused a lot of gold miners to die even though they were surrounded by rabbits.
a group is fine if you can find the people with the skills, many people are useless in a catastrophe and will just get in the way.
groups over here will be family units and family only, post collapse is not the time to start trusting strangers, I would rather be alone than with people I do not trust, I am used to being alone, most are not and will panic.

"
stored food is only a back up system at best, I have grown a lot of my own food over the years and will grow more post collapse.
one cannot live on rabbits alone, there is something called rabbit starvation which caused a lot of gold miners to die even though they were surrounded by rabbits."

" I would rather be alone than with people I do not trust, I am used to being alone, most are not and will panic."

I am so sorry you don't trust anyone, you might want to do some deep introspection and try to realize who in your past destroyed your ability to trust.
Very familiar with rabbit starvation, in years past i have had personal conversation with people who lived in the 30's with no money no food and no chance......but they survived. They ate the rabbits and they ate snakes and junk fish from the streams and anything else they could trap.
My home town has a rich history of gold mining in the 1865's. I have actually written a paper on that era and those miners were already gold crazed when they hit the area and only cared about digging up the yellow metal. Not a good reference.
I would reference the family of 13 who lived in remote rocky mountains here and raised their own food plus enough to sell to the crazy miners....the family survived and thrived...with temps of -40 in the winter.
Never surrender, never.

modern people are not trustworthy, they rely on man made systems and dont have the skills to survive without these systems.
they will panic when the collapse comes as we saw here with the covid pandemic, most have got mental health problems because of the lockdowns. they cant even function without other people around them.
I do not intend to lumber myself with such people.

modern people are not trustworthy, they rely on man made systems and dont have the skills to survive without these systems.
they will panic when the collapse comes as we saw here with the covid pandemic, most have got mental health problems because of the lockdowns. they cant even function without other people around them.
I do not intend to lumber myself with such people.

Other than pickles for @Patchouli and beer for @viking I still haven’t figured out why we need refrigerators.
I would have the freezers on a generator until I could get the meat taken care of then unplug it all.
Both the wife and I have medications that require refrigeration. I would like to get a small trailer fridge that runs on 120V, 12V, and propane. I figure that I might be able to run it with a votive candle if the need arose. two or three candles a day would give me another couple months of refer. I have been working on this for some time so I have over a year of meds stored up.

LW, I don’t know the people around you. You are talking to an audience of mostly skilled and prepared people. You might want to take that into account when you say nobody but yourself… Having listened to you for awhile now I believe that you are one of those that lives like it has already happened. You are not the only one here. I trust most here, even you. I’ll never get to test that trust. I have others around me that I do trust.

I have some medical cream that needs keeping in the fridge for some reason but I can live without it post collapse, there are creams that can be made out of natural ingredients.
a lot of the big houses back in the day had ice houses, maybe some could think of using ice-if that is possible.
you are correct Caribou I live a fairly simple life, there is only me and the wife, I trust nobody else, have been let down too many times in a fairly long life, both males and females having let me down, and "the masses" are a waste of time even trying to engage in conversation let alone anything else.
I may be the odd one out here as I dont think there are any other Brits on this site, things are different over here, people dont have the space to be self reliant and most couldnt even try, so post collapse the failure rate will be very high.

Both the wife and I have medications that require refrigeration. I would like to get a small trailer fridge that runs on 120V, 12V, and propane. I figure that I might be able to run it with a votive candle if the need arose. two or three candles a day would give me another couple months of refer. I have been working on this for some time so I have over a year of meds stored up.

LW, I don’t know the people around you. You are talking to an audience of mostly skilled and prepared people. You might want to take that into account when you say nobody but yourself… Having listened to you for awhile now I believe that you are one of those that lives like it has already happened. You are not the only one here. I trust most here, even you. I’ll never get to test that trust. I have others around me that I do trust.
we have a neat little ice chest that runs off of 40 watts of 12 volt power. We also have some battery powered remote thermometers. A couple of deep cycle batteries from our old motorhome and a couple of solar panels from Harbour freight and we have a refrigerater for meds. In winter we would just have to place it in a cold corner away from the wood stove to regulate its temp.
There is always a way.....i just might not have discovered it yet.

I have some medical cream that needs keeping in the fridge for some reason but I can live without it post collapse, there are creams that can be made out of natural ingredients.
a lot of the big houses back in the day had ice houses, maybe some could think of using ice-if that is possible.
you are correct Caribou I live a fairly simple life, there is only me and the wife, I trust nobody else, have been let down too many times in a fairly long life, both males and females having let me down, and "the masses" are a waste of time even trying to engage in conversation let alone anything else.
I may be the odd one out here as I dont think there are any other Brits on this site, things are different over here, people dont have the space to be self reliant and most couldnt even try, so post collapse the failure rate will be very high.
Your situation is not just geographic it is more population density and mind set. Many many people in the usa and other developed countries are in the same boat you are.
I personally feel very lucky for my place of birth and the influential people in my life that have set me on the course to where I am now.

The worse the situation the less it takes to make it better.....bread and water can just as easily be tea and toast.....time to put the kettle on.

I don't know if it would be big enough to hold your medications, but there are some pretty small peltier effect fridges that might do the job

Latest posts

Back