Weed block

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the landscape fabric used by commercial plant nurseries designed to allow water to pass through?
Yes, my BIL has retired & grow vegetable with fabric 48 inches wide & he has weeds only in the furrow
His garden & vineyard/ orchard are very clean
His onions are not on fabric & have weeds, but with drip water daily they grow very well.

I put down weed block fabric 5 years ago and I don't have weeds growing through or on it except where I made holes to plant stuff. It has lasted a long time and its still In good condition
Pulling weeds is a job I hate.
I bought it on Amazon after I saw a couple on YouTube that used it.
It works very well for me. YMMV

I wanted to put some engineered plastic down in the community garden I helped start and then put raised beds on top. But, the other gardeners refused to use the plastic because they feared that the beds would flood in the rain. I couldn't convince them that I've never had this problem with my home garden, but they insisted. So the community garden became a weed patch. I want to try to get them to expand the garden and use landscape fabric.

All my neighbors use plastic. They grow acres and acres of everything, from flowers to you name it. It can be reused. They do all have slightly raised, rounded, or mounded rows. Picture perfect, weed free, healthy plants and cleans up at the end of growing time. My resistance to plastic in the garden has ended.
i wouldn’t use fabric on crops. Permanent beds in the yard, yes, but not in the vegetable garden.

Weeds grow from the surface!! You can block the weeds from below, but MOST weeds grow from birds and lawnmowers dropping seeds on top! Weed block is a money taker!!
Depends on which kind you get. I find that spare roofing tin works well, leave it a season and move it. Some weed block is designed to let things through, as in the nursery kind.

My 2 cents.
Road fabric is the way to go. Very heavy duty. Have it in place for 10+ years and it's still perfect. It does get hot (it's black) so I lay grass clippings around plants to keep anything that would lay on the ground (e.g. melons or cucumbers) from burning.

I have some whitish garden cloth that I tried this year in a small garden. It's ****. It acts like a greenhouse for all the weeds growing underneath.

I used empty feed bags. Poked holes in it for drainage. Topped it with wood chips. We usually stopped the utility guys who trimmed trees and got a truck load of wood chips for about $25-$30 a truck load. The wood chips held the bags in place. Just cut holes for the plants when you plant them.

Latest posts

Back