Weedy…..

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

Walk with God, You will never be lost
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
right here right now maybe later over there
This looks like a good recipe, Gonna adda little something at the end

Source of recipe is unknown. I would like to give credit where it is due. Someone sent me an image of this recipe.
Red Beans and Rice
This is the way red beans and rice were cooked in the old days—loaded with meat and steeped in a rich, natural gravy. You must include a large ham bone, whose marrow gives the beans that creamy texture and distinctive smoky flavor. Many supermarkets now carry only preboned hams, and you may have difficulty finding ham bones. Ask your local butcher for a bone. Ham bones freeze well.
If you have any red beans left over, they freeze beautifully. Just add a little water and perhaps a pinch of salt when you reheat them.
Baked ham is preferred over country or smoked ham in this and all other New Orleans bean dishes. Smoked ham is too salty and will unbalance the seasonings. Pickled pork is pork shoulder marinated in brine for over a week. New Orleans markets regularly carry it, but elsewhere you probably will not find it. A good substitute for pickled pork is salt pork; with salt pork eliminate all other salt in the recipe.
Recipe feeds 8 or more.
Ingredients:
2 pounds dried red (kidney) beans, soaked overnight in cold water to cover.
2 cups chopped onion
½ cup thinly sliced green scallion tops
½ cup chopped green pepper
1 1/3 Tablespoon finely minced garlic
2 Tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley
1 pound seasoned (baked) ham, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 pound pickled pork cut into large chunks*
1 large ham bone with some meat on it, sawed into 4 to 5 inch lengths
1 Tablespoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper pods
2 whole bay leaves, broken into quarters
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon dried basil
2 quarts cold water or chicken broth, approximately
Boiled Rice
Drain the soaked beans in a colander and put them, along with all the other ingredients into a heavy 8 to 10 quart pot or kettle, adding just enough of the cold water or broth to cover. Bring to a oil over high heat, then lower the heat and simmer on low heat for 2 1/3 to 3 hours, or until the beans are tender and a thick natural gravy has formed. Add about 1 cup of water toward the end of cooking if the mixture appears too dry. During cooking, stir frequently and scrape down the sides and across the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon or spatula to prevent scorching. (If you use a heavy pot and very low heat—just high enough to keep the barest simmer going—you should have no problem with beans sticking to the pot during cooking.) Stir the entire mixture thoroughly just once about every half hour.
When the beans are cooked, turn off the heat. To serve, ladle about 1 ½ cups of beans, with meat and gravy, over a portion (about 2/3 cup) of boiled rice.
Notes
· **Substitute ham hocks for pickled pork, as desired. I was unable to find pickled pork and used ham hocks instead. I didn't use a ham bone. I wish I had had one, but I didn't.
This recipe was so delicious! I will want to make it again and again!
Rita at 5:45:00 PM

In your butch oven
1/2 cup bacon grease, get it hot
Add to it. 1/2 cup flour
Mix, constant stir. Turn heat down to low/medium
Constant stir and cook for 10 minutes
Add to this I can condensed mushroom 1/4 cup milk

Stir and cook this down to a thick gravy

In separate skillet sauté. Your chopped veggies. Then add to Dutch oven
Follow original recipe

Three bean & rice
one Ham hock or ham bone
one cup red beans
one cup black beans
one cup of white navy beans, one cup of dry beans will yield three cups cooked
one medium onion
one half cup mushrooms
Garlic, black pepper, salt, theme, rosemary to taste
cook beans with hambone for 45 minute then add onions, mushrooms, garlic & seasons.
Cook until beans are soft or put in crock pot over night on low heat.
Cook rice
plate rice & cover with beans, service with greens, cornbread, fried okra & tomato slices.

Thank you!
I wonder if you found this on my recipe blog? LOL! I save recipes there so that if I lose my hard copy, I can always have them. Daughter accesses recipes there, and has contributed some as well.
Someone sent this recipe to me, Fundy. I think he used to be active here. Is it @Supervisor who knows him?

I have been craving red beans and rice, but until I clear my kitchen counters where I am setting stuff to re-organize, I am not making them. But my goal is to get all of that stuff put where it belongs after I make sure it is clean, and make some red beans and rice for myself and give some to my daughter. I made red beans and rice last year before Mardi Gras. They were a hit. I am out of them in my freezer meals and I want to add a stash of them again.

https://ritasrecipesblog.blogspot.com/2023/03/red-beans-and-rice.html

Thank you!
I wonder if you found this on my recipe blog? LOL! I save recipes there so that if I lose my hard copy, I can always have them. Daughter accesses recipes there, and has contributed some as well.
Someone sent this recipe to me, Fundy. I think he used to be active here. Is it @Supervisor who knows him?

I have been craving red beans and rice, but until I clear my kitchen counters where I am setting stuff to re-organize, I am not making them. But my goal is to get all of that stuff put where it belongs after I make sure it is clean, and make some red beans and rice for myself and give some to my daughter. I made red beans and rice last year before Mardi Gras. They were a hit. I am out of them in my freezer meals and I want to add a stash of them again.
https://ritasrecipesblog.blogspot.com/2023/03/red-beans-and-rice.html
Yeah, he lived in B'ham, was a KTOG'er and we shot together a lot in B'ham.
He was at the Fido shoots and I doxed him real good in his welcome thread...
Here he is in person:
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/transplant-greetings.6330/post-176706
The recipe he gave you is one of the more popular Cajun recipes, with ham substituted for the Andouille sausage.

Yeah, he lived in B'ham, was a KTOG'er and we shot together a lot in B'ham.
He was at the Fido shoots and I doxed him real good in his welcome thread...
Here he is in person:
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/transplant-greetings.6330/post-176706
The recipe he gave you is one of the more popular Cajun recipes, with ham substituted for the Andouille sausage.
Is he still alive?

BTW, it is a great recipe and people have asked me how I learned to cook like that. "It is because of a little experience with cooking and a great recipe!"

Latest posts

Back