Went to Wally World.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curmudgeon

In Remembrance Jan 2024
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I never shop at Walmart except just before Christmas so we can load up on disposable toys for the Grand kids.

I figure they're gonna bust em up in short order, why spend a bunch.

Anywho, I was looking at pellet guns for my Grandson, and got chatting with a lady at the counter buying a rifle and discovered they had the Savage .22 semi-auto on sale for less than a hundred bucks.

Well, needless to say my 8 year old Grandson is getting his first rifle.

Cs new rifle.JPG

Those little Savages are good rifles. Last year my machinist got one for his grandson for Xmas. He had me mount one of those cheap little tube 7X scopes on it and sight it in.
At 30 yards it stacked CCI Standard inside a .5" bull. Not bad for a magazine fed semi-auto.

I fell in love with shooting at age 7 under the guidance of my uncle who trained me with a savage model 27 pump action. It was the one with the octagonal barrel produced first in 1938. I loved the rifle. The training my uncle provided stuck with me for ten years at at 17 years and 8 month old I shot expert on the M1. I was the only recruit in my training platoon to do that. Start early and it sticks for life. Enjoy the moments you shoot together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those little Savages are good rifles. Last year my machinist got one for his grandson for Xmas. He had me mount one of those cheap little tube 7X scopes on it and sight it in.
At 30 yards it stacked CCI Standard inside a .5" bull. Not bad for a magazine fed semi-auto.

Exactly what I intend to do with the cheapie scope. I have an old cheapo New Haven .22 (made by Mossberg) that shoots very well set up with the same cheap tube scope..

Heck yeah! Nice score!

That beats a pellet gun for sure. That price is really good and some pellet guns cost way more than that.

That beats a pellet gun for sure. That price is really good and some pellet guns cost way more than that.

Yep, the one I was looking at was a single break .177 cal 1400FPS and it was 140 bucks.

So what gun did you get for you? ;)

So what gun did you get for you? ;)

Shhhh.......I can't until January 1....:eek:

I bought 6 new ones this year not counting this one for the boy.

Exactly what I intend to do with the cheapie scope. I have an old cheapo New Haven .22 (made by Mossberg) that shoots very well set up with the same cheap tube scope..
Oh man, a New Haven. My pops has one of those. He thinks he got it at a Coast to Coast hardware store back in the 60s. It's a semi auto. It's handy and accurate but it's a single shot now because the mag is crapped out and you can't find a mag that isn't shot. It was a weak design.

My Grandpa got me shooting at 7 yrs. old with a Model 62 Winchester. We had a big wood pile out in our back pasture and Grandma would tell me to go get a couple of rabbits for dinner. I would drive our old Ford tractor down to the woodpile, shoot 2 rabbits, then clean them when I got back to the house. You can't start them too early. Congrats on a good buy!!!!

Tommy

So I got a surprise phone call last evening from my Daughter, she needs us to watch the boy for the weekend as she has to work.

I was hoping I would have an opportunity to give him this rifle while all of the other Grand kids aren't around.

Guess I got my chance, LOL.

Hopefully I can get away to the range tomorrow to set him up with shooting his new rifle.

Well, he was speechless when we first presented it to him.

This is first time handling a real firearm. I'm proud to know him!

We'll be having some range time in the morning. Range report to follow.

C and his rifle.JPG

Teach them right, keep them safe and have fun. :)

If I get to Wally World tomorrow, I am going to look to see if they have any. I would love to get one for my Grandson. He is only 3 but it will be a safe queen until he is old enough to shoot. Fingers crossed.

99 dollar............no holler.

I love Walmart. I practically get everything at my local one including groceries. Great online shopping and prompt services too. They treated me very well. I also shop at Amazon as I have Prime so I have two great places to shop and compare.

I love Walmart. I practically get everything at my local one including groceries. Great online shopping and prompt services too. They treated me very well. I also shop at Amazon as I have Prime so I have two great places to shop and compare.
I'm with you Clipper. We now have started doing the online grocery shopping at our local Walmart. You order what you need online then go by the store and they bring it out and load it in our car. You don't even have to get out. My wife loves it.

Our local (20 miles away) WM leaves much to be desired when compared to the two that are 80 miles away (in opposite directions), yet I go there at least 3 times a week. The prices - especially the Great Value brand foods - lets my pension check buy more than at other grocery stores. Same story with their Equate brands. A lot of my camo clothes are from their clearance sales. The online shopping with store pick up is a terrible ordeal at our local WM. However, the online shopping with free shipping to home with a $35 order is superb. I use it for the 44 lb bags of cat food and the 50 lb bags of dog food. I can't lift them at the store. Having FedEx set the boxes / bags at my front door is wonderful. Also, living in the county, using home delivery gets me a lower sales tax rate.

The Great Value food are damn good stuff and priced well. Since Trump's tax cuts included cutting my food EBT card in half, every little bit helps. Mine was barely adequate in the first place I can't see how some folks get $100s on theirs.

Well...........the boy did great today for never handling a real firearm before. I took 3 or 4 shots with it to get the scope on paper and he did the rest.

Here's his first 5 shots ever with a firearm. The first 4 were in pretty good shape, I think he got a little excited on the errant one on the left.

C first target.JPG

I'll bet the last shot is from fatigue. The gun reports wears you out quick.

Aside from that, hell of a good shoot.

He's a natural! Good teacher helps also.

Great first target. Only dropping 1 point first 5 shots ever taken. Soon he will be stacking them all inside the X ring.

Before we left, he wanted to shoot at the 'dinger' (metal target in the background), so I loaded up his mag to full capacity and let him have at it.

He rocked the little flapper in the center with all 7 rounds.

He was shooting at the dinger (metal target), LOL.

Back