What a Human being should be able to do

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SheepDog

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
This is a list by Robert Heinlein that I added a place to mark what parts you have done, can do but haven't yet and the ones you need to learn. Try answering for yourself. I have done 17, can do at least one of the rest and need to learn the three remaining.

It would be great to get feedback or things not listed that should be.

Attachments

• A human being should be able to.pdf
    18.4 KB · Views: 68
Robert A. Heinlein is my favorite pre-PAW sci-fi author. I still have many items to cross off the list (hog butcher is one) but it is a good list. I had forgotten this list and I don't remember which of his numerous books or short stories it came from, how about a little help here for an old timer.

I believe it is from "Time enough For Love" but I have been known to have a data error working from memory.

I believe it is from "Time enough For Love" but I have been known to have a data error working from memory.

Thanks, at one time I owned every book he wrote and had published, even those from his early days. During one of my downturn (broke) periods I did have to sell off all my book collections. Robert A Heinlein and Louis La Amour. Now that was a strange mixed bag, future to past. I kinda miss those guys.

Thanks, at one time I owned every book he wrote and had published, even those from his early days. During one of my downturn (broke) periods I did have to sell off all my book collections. Robert A Heinlein and Louis La Amour. Now that was a strange mixed bag, future to past. I kinda miss those guys.
maybe we are related TMT, I too had to sell all my copies of both those authors during a time of temporary cash flow imbalance

I think I am at the 15 mark. I need @Redbeard to teach me how to butcher a hog.
Im still working on it. My wife has been doing the write up, still a little more to go on that. I have been organizing the pictures and adding them in. I think it will be a great how to that a person could go by and actually come out the other side with some decent pork. Hope to have it done soon. I'm very glad i didn't rush it and get it posted on PS!

Im still working on it. My wife has been doing the write up, still a little more to go on that. I have been organizing the pictures and adding them in. I think it will be a great how to that a person could go by and actually come out the other side with some decent pork. Hope to have it done soon. I'm very glad i didn't rush it and get it posted on PS!

Good deal. Looking forward to it!

Lazarus Long. Fortunately I have done and am still able to do all those things. I believe there's a lot more every human should be able to do, which involve food, water, shelter, heat, cool, clothing, etc.

I'm with you Dademoss, I'm pretty sure I can do it but it's not something you can practice more than once.
I don't see a burning need to learn how to conn a ship either but I would be willing to learn if the need arises.
In all my training I have never learned to set a bone. I can immobilize the extremity but not sure I could do a good job of setting the bone.
I have done everything else except writing a sonnet but I have written poetry that could be put to music. I have composed some music too.
Food, Water and shelter is a no brainer when you grow up backpacking into wilderness areas.

I guess I fail on the program a computer part. Tried to learn A++ many years ago but turned out to not be my thing.

Latest posts

Back