What antibiotic and anti-diarrhea medication for post SHTF dysentery.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From Medscape.com. The second to last paragraph talks about anti-diarrhea meds being contra-indicated.

Shigella Infection Medication

Various antimicrobial agents are effective in the treatment of shigellosis, although options are becoming limited because of globally emerging drug resistance. Resistance of Shigella species to sulfonamides, tetracyclines, ampicillin, and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMX) has been reported worldwide, and these agents are not recommended as empirical therapy.

The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends that all suspected cases of shigellosis based on clinical features be treated with effective antimicrobials (antibiotics). [28] The choice of antimicrobial drug has changed over the years as resistance to antibiotics has occurred, with different patterns of resistance being reported around the world. Evidence is insufficient to consider any class of antibiotic superior in efficacy in treating Shigella dysentery. The following antibiotics are used to treat Shigella dysentery:

Beta-lactams: Ampicillin, amoxicillin, third-generation cephalosporins (cefixime, ceftriaxone), and pivmecillinam (not available in the United States)

Quinolones: Nalidixic acid, ciprofloxacin, norfloxacin, and ofloxacin

Macrolides: Azithromycin

Others: sulfonamides, tetracycline, cotrimoxazole, and furazolidone.

Most clinical infections with S sonnei are self-limited (48-72 h) and may not require antimicrobial therapy.

If an ampicillin and TMP-SMX resistant strain is isolated or if susceptibility is unknown, parenteral ceftriaxone sodium, fluoroquinolone (eg, ciprofloxacin, ofloxacin), azithromycin dihydrate (off-label indication), or oral cefixime are the drugs of choice. [9, 29, 30] Amoxicillin is less effective than ampicillin for treatment of ampicillin-sensitive strains. Oral first- and second-generation cephalosporins are inadequate despite in vitro susceptibility. Recently, Shigella isolates with decreased susceptibility to azithromycin (DSA-Shigella), with minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) greater than 16 µ g/mL has been described by the CDC. [31]

In June 2015, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) warned that they received reports of infections with Shigella strains that are not susceptible to ciprofloxacin and/or azithromycin. CDC is seeing resistance to ciprofloxacin in 1.6% of the Shigella cases tested and resistance to azithromycin in approximately 3%. The CDC added that most cases have been reported among gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men in Illinois, Minnesota, and Montana and among international travelers, but cases are also occurring among other populations. [32, 33, 34]

In 2023, the CDC warned of an increase in extensively drug-resistant Shigella infections. Approximately 5% of Shigella infections reported to the CDC in 2022 were caused by extensively drug-resistant strains, compared with 0% in 2015. One analysis showed that 82% of cases were in men, 13% in women, and 5% in children. A small sample of affected people provided information about their sexual activity, and 88% of them reported male-to-male sexual contact. [35]

Because shigellosis is self-limiting, some authorities recommend withholding antibiotic therapy. When an effective antibiotic is given, clinical improvement is anticipated within 48 hours. This lessens the risk of serious complications and death, shortens the duration of symptoms, and hastens the elimination of Shigella and the subsequent spread of infection. The risk of continued shedding of organisms in stool increases the risk of transmission of further disease among contacts argues against withholding antimicrobial treatment. [36]

Antimicrobial therapy is typically administered for 5 days. Antibiotic treatment decreases the duration of illness, person-to-person spread, and cases in household contacts. Treatment in malnourished children (eg, in developing countries) is likely to reduce the risk of worsening malnutrition morbidity after shigellosis. In persons infected with S dysenteriae type 1, early administration of effective antibiotics decreases Shiga toxin (Stx) concentrations in the stool and lowers HUS risk. However, the risk of HUS caused by E coli O157-H7 may be increased with the early administration of antibiotics. Prophylactic antibiotics are not recommended for contacts.

Antidiarrheal medications (diphenoxylate hydrochloride with atropine [Lomotil] or loperamide [Imodium]) should not be used because of the risk of prolonging the illness. WHO has introduced the use of zinc for 10-14 days as part of a diarrheal disease control program in addition to oral rehydration therapy. Initiating zinc at the time of diarrhea leads to shorter duration and fewer loose stools. [25, 37]

A child with typical dysentery that responds to initial empirical antibiotic treatment should continue taking the same drug for a full 5-day course, even if the stool culture is negative.

Geranium carolinianum aka Carolina Crane's-bill aka Alum Root. It was the most used medicinal plant during the civil war by both sides, since dysentery was the leading cause of death during the war, not wounds. The root was harvested, dried, then powdered and mixed with water to treat dysentery. It was also used as a temporary coagulant to slow bleeding in serious wounds. The powder was poured into a wound, slap a bandage on it until transported to a surgeon.

There are actually half a dozen species with the moniker ‘Alum Root’. All of them can be used to treat dysentery. Good clean water will prevent dysentery. Moral of the story, don’t drink contaminated water.

Having spent three months straight every fall for decades living in deepest back country Alaska, guiding hunters. Getting checked on every 10 or 14 days by air if weather allowed, I worried about chronic squirts. Never had a problem, but my flight doctor yearly gave me a fresh prescription for some medication. I have no idea what was and never had to use it. It was for what in Alaska is referred to as "Beaver Fever".

@Peanut any experience/knowledge using blackberry root for diarrhea?

It's actually the bark on the root that's medicinal. But roots are tiny so people use the whole thing. During warm months the leaves are used, easier than digging. Just make a tea from either, or eat them.

But in answer... yes, used for diarrhea. Root and leaf have a long history in medicine. Written records start as far back as the 1600's. Of course native peoples knew all about blackberry and how to use it.

It's a very gentle, even used on toddlers. Of course too much will bind you up tighter than a drum.

Leaf tea can be used to treat a range of conditions. Tea is excellent for a sore throat (gargle)... It was used to treat whooping cough (spasms), mouth ulcers, milk allergies, anemia, eczema, hemorrhoids, varicose veins. The leaves also contain vitamin C.

Last edited:
Imodium for the trots, Lysene and other vitamins for pretty much everything else.
I fight with the trots a couple times every month.
After the third trip to the potty, I throw down one generic Imodium and everything comes to a screeching halt. Works fantastic! :D
If I don't, that crap can go on for days and days longer 😡.
My weapon:
IMG_20231105_182014_kindlephoto-2703008589.jpg

blackberry leaf tincture or tea works terrific to stop the runs. take 1-2 T after each episode. most times that is enough but may need another dose. really works. i like tinctures better cause they last so long.

antibiotic and anti viral stuff i use
colloidal silver
MMS
elderberry tincture
grapefruit seed extract drops

Apples, with skin, well chewed or toast with no butter but with jam or jelly, apples with skin and jelly or jam both have good amounts of pectin. I was told by a family doctor many years ago about using apples with skins for helping to stop loose bowels.

Latest posts

Back