WHAT are some good subjects for: "Prepping Talk" Section.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The communist party running America says you will not own anything!! Many will be shocked when it happens!!
I hope they will be shocked by my response to them trying to take away what I have...;)

μολών λαβέ!

😈 ..I mean, Oops, did I leave the oven on again? Dangit! ;)

jd

Do you dream of your old neighborhood. :Dancing Chicken:

Last edited:
I think a valuable topic is creating or joining a MAG no matter how small. Once others near you have awakened to what's happening and are prepping for the worst of it. It would be beneficial to recognize these individuals and be part of a mutually assisted group. Each person must weigh this benefit with there own OPSEC and situations.
Like minded people within a close area that work together is much stronger and safer. Especially after a societal collapse of any kind.

1. You would likely trade silver for things that you can't or unwilling to trade anything else for. Gold would be used for items after SHTF during the rebuild as it has been historically.

2. You can use scales, all types. You should have various weights of coins in both 1964 and earlier US coins and 1oz rounds and up to 10oz. Bars.

3. Have a magnet and an acid test kit. Also a published book on testing precious metals and make the testing transparent.

4.the same way you prevent it when trading anything of value. Be armed with a trusted group in a neutral agreed upon trading place. Have scouts, take an alternate route home, have a consealed lookout with radio to see if your followed.

5. Establish trading partners pre SHTF. Then only trade with those of accepted reputations.

6. That takes experience and knowledge of previous trade values that's adjusted by current supply and demand.

I hope that helps.
Maybe someone could move Haertig's post and this one and get a thread rolling with various means and measures. I know there are some simple tools one can use as well (have no idea the proper names off the top of my head).

Like minded people within a close area that work together is much stronger and safer. Especially after a societal collapse of any kind.

I think ONLY after the collapse will this be useful. I am highly skeptical that forming any group ahead of time will be successful, no matter how good it looks on paper...people are just not that trustworthy and you only need one person in your group, with a daughter who wants to impress her crack head boyfriend....to blow your whole operation.

Crackers are really not hard to make, I have a small paperback cookbook somewhere with just cracker recipes, and there's tons on line. Not sure how to make triscuits, but a soda cracker with some garlic salt and dried parmesan is pretty tasty. Better than a pilot cracker. You should try an easy cracker recipe.
If you find that book, could you share the title & author please?
It also has to do with attitude. And mine is admittedly bad for things that I don't really want to do. I am miserable when I have to mow the lawn. Yeuch, no fun! And so hot. And dirty! I can't imagine I'll be all smiling and happy if I have to go walk a hundred yards to chop down a tree to get some wood to light a fire to warm my house (probably in the rain too). That little rectangular thingy on the wall where I just push the up button a few times is more my style.
Funny, I miss going and getting wood and if it weren't for my self proclaimed wimpiness liking to be warm would truly despise that rectangle thing on the wall. I know I'm an odd duck though.
The communist party running America says you will not own anything!! Many will be shocked when it happens!!
It's already happening. Isn't it about 60% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck w/ no savings and substantial debt?

*Here's one I don't think I'd struggle with but "entertainment." I don't mean just going to the movies or a concert. I mean what will you do with your time if/when you have no TV or internet. Many (not all) have never lived without one or both of those. Hubby and I have a saying about some folks who think a certain way: Their TV is bigger than their bookcase. What are your hobbies now? Are they or could they be useful? Golf probably not so much, gardening definitely.
*I appreciate history so one of my interests would be historical ways as they pertain to prepping/survival.
*Materials used for various things (ie. daub for housing, wood for certain tools).
I will keep thinking.

I think a valuable topic is creating or joining a MAG no matter how small. Once others near you have awakened to what's happening and are prepping for the worst of it. It would be beneficial to recognize these individuals and be part of a mutually assisted group. Each person must weigh this benefit with there own OPSEC and situations.
I can testify to that.
Since we actually do SHTF down here every few years, everybody in the community is part of the 'MAG'. We all work together.
True, it is all tied together with a wonderful communication network that runs without power, or phones, or internet, called "tha-grapevine", but it works flawlessly :thumbs:.
Nobody suffers.

Not that these are "subjects, unto themselves" (I didn't think they warranted a Whole new thread, etc) but.. Perhaps One subject-suggestion could be a 'TopGear Sources Thread', across varied catagories.. ie: Kifaru is world-reknowned as (one-of, anyway) The "Go-To" sources for 'Woobies' (and Theirs Are Awesome :cool: ) and such..

Here's a couple Good 'uns I came across over yonder, and they Each seem to have some good 'niche' stuff: https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products :cool:

..And some good ideas for 'Radio / Tool pouches', for maybe light-duty recon-work (where Comms might be a higher-priority over a 'full-on chest-rig', etc.. https://www.holsterguy.com/ 🤔 Kit looks pretty legit.. 👍

Fwiw..
jd

I had a SWISS TECH MULTITOOL, but it could not stand up to work pressure in a industrial Environment, it took a year of abuse, before it fail.
It would be great for a bugout bag or keyring, like the the p-38/p51.
I am too old to slip on a eighty pound back pack & slip off into the woods, to live off the land until the dogs of war found me.
I will live & die in my castle, if push comes to shove.
The main thing is to have the food & skills to last six months & most of the bad guys will kill each other.

Latest posts

Back