What are you doing for Thanksgiving?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Traveling? Staying home? Devouring the loads of green bean casserole we all feel is an essential Thanksgiving treat? What's up for you next week?

thnak.jpg

We are staying home as we do every year. The wife's family is all coming to our place with our first guests arriving Monday and the last guests coming on Wednesday. We will have a house full. Our oldest is spending her holiday with her husband's family and our oldest boy is working all day, so that will free up some space at the table. My Dad is recovering from surgery and cannot travel so they are staying home and we will go visit them in a weekend or two. We also invited a couple ladies, a mother and her adult daughter, that have fallen on hard times. In the last 6 months they lost the husband/father to cancer and the son/brother to a brain tumor. We found out that they were just not going to celebrate Thanksgiving at all so we stepped in and invited them to join our family.

We will replicate all of our traditional Thanksgiving foods and activities. The wife and daughters already have plans to begin all that this weekend. Then with any luck they will also skedaddle back to their respective homes on Friday or Saturday, giving us a day or so to recover before falling back into the routine. As the saying goes, fish and visitors start to stink after 3 days. ;)

Just hubby and I. Staying home. Probably watch some dvd's, read some. Having marinated turkey breast, homemade cranberry sauce, dressing,roasted sweet potatoes, green beans and crescent rolls ( hubby loves them lol). Staying home on black friday also. We will head to the store on saturday morning early after we have breakfast at the local diner. Hubby's off next week and I'm sure he has plans but I have no idea what they are lol

We are staying home and our kids are driving over. Daughter on Thursday and son on Friday.
Granddaughter is also coming on Thursday.
Like every year I am buying a ton of pellets for my stove so the I have help unloading them. :)
I might even break out the rakes and get rid of all the leaves in the yard. Those 2 jobs will take about a half-hour total so it's not really all that much work for 4 or 5 people.
On Saturday we will all go to the gun range. It's going to be cold so that may not last long.

Going to family reunion at the local Veteran's Memorial Building.
When we started this 20 years ago there was over 400 people.
This year we might have 25-30 people.
Probably be the last year for this.
As the elders have gotten older, they don't want to cook anymore.
And the young people have all scattered as they start their own families.
Their own traditions as it should be.

Little granddaughter comes in tomorrow night. The twins have school Mon and Tues, so her and I will keep ourselves entertained. I'll start cooking Wednesday. Two of our daughters, our son, the three grandkids, also two of our grandsons that are half siblings to the other three, their mama and her boyfriend (who aren't together, but he always shows up), and our youngest daughter has invited her friend from Taiwan (he gets his Pharm MD also in May), and another friend from the pharmacy who doesn't have the $$ to go home for Thanksgiving. There may be more, not sure.
Cooking enough for an army. The pumpkin puree is done. Spent most of the day today cooking pumpkins. Ended up with 19 quarts of puree. Not bad for free pumpkins. Son says he's bringing me more.

Going to daughters. I will be doing some of the cooking, but not all. This year will be like many others with friends and others who are not close enough to family to go there joining us. I have already been tasked to make gluten free dressing, but it is also always on me to make the gravy. I may pick up more assignments as things unfold. I try to not be in the stores now because of the craziness, but I will do what I can if asked. I bought gluten free bread for the stuffing yesterday just in case I don't get asked to bring anything else. Daughter is making cornbread stuffing as well.

The youngest and his fiancé will be with us. I think he invited a coworker and his wife as well. The girls will be with their significant others. Two other couples that we’re close with whose kids don’t typically make it back.
As for food, we’re not strict traditionalists. I always deep fry a turkey. Along with that this year will be yellow tail snapper, pork belly, and shrimp. I’m pretty sure Mrs. t2 is doing sweet potatoes, pork & shrimp fried rice, long green beans, and corn. One of the couples who joins us is bringing her homemade cranberry sauce, awesome mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie. The other couple, she always bakes a cake and makes really good homemade vanilla ice cream. We manage...

Going to daughters. I will be doing some of the cooking, but not all. This year will be like many others with friends and others who are not close enough to family to go there joining us. I have already been tasked to make gluten free dressing, but it is also always on me to make the gravy. I may pick up more assignments as things unfold. I try to not be in the stores now because of the craziness, but I will do what I can if asked. I bought gluten free bread for the stuffing yesterday just in case I don't get asked to bring anything else. Daughter is making cornbread stuffing as well.
About the same this year.

Day-of: me, my wife, son, daughter in law and granddaughter are going to a friend's place. Normally, we would host, but we took our friends up on their offer. :)

Day-after: we're cooking again at home so we have a ton of leftovers, because leftovers are a huge part of the overall Thanksgiving insanity!

I will most likely be doing remodeling. The DIL is picking up over time holiday pay covering Thanksgiving at the hospital.

But Friday...

That will be our day to reflect on the blessings of this year.

Ben

I make dinner every year, have gotten lucky with the last 3 years I haven't had to work.
This year, my stepson and his wife, plus their two kids are coming. My younger stepson and his girlfriend are coming, my parents, my daughter and her boyfriend, and hubby and I. My son is in Hawaii with his dad.
Usually we also spend the day with my sister and brother in law (hubbys younger sis), but they are at their son's house in MT, visiting their grandbabies.

Thanksgiving day, my brother is having a small get together at his house, just he and his wife, me, and my pops. Afterward we will go in to the nursing home to play cards with my mom. Saturday evening is the big shindig. The whole family will go to the nursing home and have dinner in their big activities room, which has a fully equipped kitchen. That's going to be chaos...

We just had our little family get together moments ago. A nice spread of eats, several of my favorites. Even pecan pie! Just 10 for dinner, my nephew with his family couldn't make it.

I didn't know about it until almost noon. No one ever tells me anything! I had planned a big pot of chili for this cold night, already thawed out the burger. I guess chili can be a side dish for the turkey, ham and chicken sandwiches. I'll be getting my daily dose of protein for the rest of the week.

I start cooking tomorrow. Did a turkey today, but that meat was for the freezer. Did get a big pumpkin cooked so I can do pies tomorrow. On Thursday we will have us five, my mom, my cousin, and an 80 yr old couple that we know that weren't doing anything at all and have no family or kids. So just nine of us.

Thanksgiving day, my brother is having a small get together at his house, just he and his wife, me, and my pops. Afterward we will go in to the nursing home to play cards with my mom. Saturday evening is the big shindig. The whole family will go to the nursing home and have dinner in their big activities room, which has a fully equipped kitchen. That's going to be chaos...
Your mom is a blessed lady😊

Latest posts

Back